It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 301 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 31  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:09 pm 

Transfers make me nauseous.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:20 am 

JCT wrote:

Just wait until next year, when free agency comes into effect:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 859220002/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:41 am 

swellafelon wrote:
JCT wrote:

Just wait until next year, when free agency comes into effect:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 859220002/

I'm more sanguine about this. The transfer market has been a huge net positive for us. In almost every case we've added guys who become important contributors and lost guys who weren't getting the opportunities they wanted. We haven't seen any recent situations like Oakland and Braden Norris where a young talent with lots of potential leaves early in his career for a bigger stage. If we were leaking more talent over the years I'd be concerned, but I think being competitive in the valley, Moser's commitment to the program, and our location in Chicago keep guys bought in to the team.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:44 am 

Even if it somehow damages the program or whatever (not that I think it will), I think players should have the right to transfer and should be paid. It is the right thing to do.

And frankly it's black mark on the NCAA's legacy that they've kept us from the Caputo Cheese-Krutwig crossover merchandise.

Last edited by jmiller2794 on Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:49 am 

jmiller2794 wrote:

And frankly it's black mark on the NCAA's legacy that they've kept us from the Caputo Cheese-Krutwig crossover merchandise.

This, sir, is a joke worthy of swellafelon!
I tip my hat to you.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:13 am 

I would 100% buy a "Big Cheese" Krutwig-Caputo t-shirt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:14 am 

KING KRUT CAMembert?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:31 am 

swellafelon wrote:
Coach Kimbrough just followed a Class of 2020 shooting guard on Twitter, Jalen Leach, and Jalon Pipkins just made his Twitter account private. Combine this with Jeremiah William's visit, and the only possible conclusion is...

Wojcik getting minutes over Pipkins last night stuck out to me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:45 am 

jmiller2794 wrote:
swellafelon wrote:
Coach Kimbrough just followed a Class of 2020 shooting guard on Twitter, Jalen Leach, and Jalon Pipkins just made his Twitter account private. Combine this with Jeremiah William's visit, and the only possible conclusion is...

I don't want to stoke the fires too much, but Jalon's mom (I think?) has made a comment or two on posts from Loyola's official basketball account (the last one in response to the Drake game summary: "No comment. BS").

Jalon still seems engaged on the bench and in the huddle which is good, but I am not sure if he will be around next year. Already ceding playing time to Wojcik with Cooper/Braden/Hebb all joining the mix next year.

I am not sure that Jalon ever got a fair shake, but there is just so much talent on this roster that a couple rough games can drop you down quickly. He and Clemons kind of came in as a JUCO duo and, frankly, Clemons has shown to be the much better overall player.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:16 am 

goramblers2011 wrote:
jmiller2794 wrote:
swellafelon wrote:

I don't want to stoke the fires too much, but Jalon's mom (I think?) has made a comment or two on posts from Loyola's official basketball account (the last one in response to the Drake game summary: "No comment. BS").

Jalon still seems engaged on the bench and in the huddle which is good, but I am not sure if he will be around next year. Already ceding playing time to Wojcik with Cooper/Braden/Hebb all joining the mix next year.

I am not sure that Jalon ever got a fair shake, but there is just so much talent on this roster that a couple rough games can drop you down quickly. He and Clemons kind of came in as a JUCO duo and, frankly, Clemons has shown to be the much better overall player.

I get where you’re going, but I don’t think it’s fair to Jalon to assume anything based on what a parent says. It’s possible he feels the same way, but it’s also possible there’s more being done and said behind the scenes than even his mom knows. He clearly has a lot of talent, but it’s also clear when he’s on the floor that he’s still learning and adjusting to the system. We’ve seen this before, and some kids stick it out longer than others. At least from appearances he seems to be engaged and putting in legit effort when he’s on the floor. He definitely doesn’t seem to be a drag on the team, which some players who don’t get time can be (speaking of every school, not just ours). I hope he fights through it, learns from it, and it clicks. And if it doesn’t and he moves on, I wish him the best.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 301 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 31  Next