It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 301 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 31  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:29 am 

JerseyCityRambler wrote:
Jacob Hutson pops

Unexpected. Guess the staff does foresee another spot opening up next year.

Krut-Frank-Welch-Hutson.....the line of big men is strong.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:32 am 

Interesting. We are now technically oversigned by one for next year. That means either Hutson agreed to forego a scholarship his first year, like I speculated, or Porter suspects somebody will transfer to free up a scholarship.
I don't remember Porter pulling a Crean before. Looks like we're getting big time.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:13 am 

swellafelon wrote:
Interesting. We are now technically oversigned by one for next year. That means either Hutson agreed to forego a scholarship his first year, like I speculated, or Porter suspects somebody will transfer to free up a scholarship.
I don't remember Porter pulling a Crean before. Looks like we're getting big time.

Or it's a Wisconsin redshirt situation. Would make sense for him to spend a year getting better behind Krutwig and Agunanne rather than spending his freshman year as one of 3 centers.

Regardless of how it plays out, great get. He had a Northwestern official visit scheduled and was receiving interest from Iowa in recent weeks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:18 am 

What's a "Wisconsin red shirt situation"?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:19 am 

Blers wrote:
swellafelon wrote:

Or it's a Wisconsin redshirt situation. Would make sense for him to spend a year getting better behind Krutwig and Agunanne rather than spending his freshman year as one of 3 centers.

Regardless of how it plays out, great get. He had a Northwestern official visit scheduled and was receiving interest from Iowa in recent weeks.

I called out Dana Ford for scholarship shenanigans earlier this year, but I think he was up to 15 signed players (maybe 16?) at one point, so I don't think I'm a total hypocrite yet by agreeing that this is merely "interesting".

It would be great if a player were willing to redshirt, but it doesn't seem like that happens anymore. Guys use their redshirt year after transferring now.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:23 am 

Northwestern had a 7 footer commit just before Hutson's scheduled visit. Thanks Coach Collins!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:43 am 

swellafelon wrote:
What's a "Wisconsin red shirt situation"?

Wisconsin frequently redshirts freshman to give them a year to develop. Last year they red shirted 3 players. And their current roster has ten players who have redshirted!

https://uwbadgers.com/news/2018/11/6/me ... ath=mbball

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:46 am 

Just because a player is redshirting doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't have a scholarship for his redshirt year.
In other words, redshirting alone doesn't solve the oversigning problem.
I think redshirting Hutson might be a good idea too, but we still have to free up a scholarship somehow.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:59 am 

A lot of things can happen between now and next year that could free up a spot.

We seem to lose at least a person a year to transferring, so right there would free up a spot.
Maybe Aher or Tate have a phenomenal year and decide to grad transfer to a bigger school.
Maybe Krutwig becomes the best big man in the country and goes pro.

I would put my money on the first one, but I don't have a guy on the roster that I immediately point to and say I'm worried about right now. We'll have to see what happens during the season.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:23 pm 

In the rush of excitement following Hudson's commitment I forgot to congratulate myself for, if not predicting, then certainly anticipating it.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2492&start=90

I have the uncanny ability to see things with my mind's eye before most ordinary men do, like Hudson's commitment and the Sister Jean Cubs' Curse.
It is just a gift I am blessed with. Stay humble.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 301 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 31  Next