It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 301 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 31  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:06 am 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:32 am 

It's obvious that PM thinks the Williamson/Hall/Uguak/Kennedy/Kaifes/Hebb combination is either too inconsistent, unproven, or just not a good option on offense. I still think the grad transfer route means we have probably 3 more scholarships to replace next year in addition to our big senior class: the grad transfer and Welch and Wojcik. Those 2 are already pretty buried in the depth chart and will never see playing time next year if we add one more minutes-eating player to that mix.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:59 pm 

lusuperfan wrote:
It's obvious that PM thinks the Williamson/Hall/Uguak/Kennedy/Kaifes/Hebb combination is either too inconsistent, unproven, or just not a good option on offense. I still think the grad transfer route means we have probably 3 more scholarships to replace next year in addition to our big senior class: the grad transfer and Welch and Wojcik. Those 2 are already pretty buried in the depth chart and will never see playing time next year if we add one more minutes-eating player to that mix.

I think that’s a bit of a jump. Mainly because those two players could easily be in line to start their
junior years with what we’ll lose. I think it’s more about a staff trying to add the most talent they can and leaving no stone unturned; I’d be surprised if we went the grad route ultimately, particularly because what grad would want to role the dice with this roster if they’re expecting to start.

Also, Amin would have to sit unless the transfer rule is passed.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:02 am 

Blers wrote:
lusuperfan wrote:

I think that’s a bit of a jump. Mainly because those two players could easily be in line to start their
junior years with what we’ll lose. I think it’s more about a staff trying to add the most talent they can and leaving no stone unturned; I’d be surprised if we went the grad route ultimately, particularly because what grad would want to role the dice with this roster if they’re expecting to start.

Also, Amin would have to sit unless the transfer rule is passed.

El-Amin was labeled a grad transfer in that tweet; doesn't that mean he has immediate eligibility?

Welch maybe can start as a junior, especially if we're playing a team that we need length to beat. I still think it'll be tough for Wojcik to crack the Kennedy/Norris/Kaifes/Hebb starting lineup in 2021-22. Plus, a grad transfer makes next year a virtual redshirt year for both of them. I know that there's no way we promised them a starting role out of the gate when we recruited them. That said, I doubt they expected their minutes to be cut from freshman to sophomore year, which is probably going to happen dramatically if we bring in a grad transfer. That's a tough pill for a 20 year old kid to swallow, and quite frankly, I wouldn't blame them if they were upset and left.

I'm all for leaving no stone unturned. If we add an impact player, and beat some big time schools out in the recruiting process, I'd be over the moon happy. I just don't see a grad transfer that we're targeting that is head and shoulders better than what we already have in-house (Williamson, Hall, Kennedy, etc.) or are already adding to last year's team (Norris, Kaifes, Hebb). These grad transfers we're targeting just make the depth chart murkier at best. The long-term downsides to an extra-crowded depth chart might outweigh whatever production we're bringing in.

Honestly, I'm thinking more and more that next year could very well be Porter's last here, especially if we're as good as advertised. The last thing a new coach needs is remarkable turnover in the program outside of the 4 or 5 open scholarships we already have for the class of 2021.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:50 am 

Oh weird I hadn’t noticed he was labeled a grad... I’m curious if that’s correct because he’s only been at ball state for 3 years...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:10 am 

Blers wrote:
Oh weird I hadn’t noticed he was labeled a grad... I’m curious if that’s correct because he’s only been at ball state for 3 years...

Could be that he graduated early in order to become immediately eligible, quite a few kids do it each year. That’s how Joe burrow become eligible at LSU, Alex O’Connell is doing that at Duke.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:20 pm 

Welcome to Ramblermania, tlang21!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:30 pm 

I still think it'll be tough for Wojcik to crack the Kennedy/Norris/Kaifes/Hebb starting lineup in 2021-22.

Out of this group....Kennedy is the only one I see as a solid for sure starter....I mean we have not even seen Norris or Hebb....I saw Norris in the scrimmage and man I though he was small, I know he had great stats from his freshman year at Oakland ......Kaifes really came on at the end of the 18-19 season but still was not the total package yet....and Hebb as enticing as his high school tape is....it is not college tape....I think PM knew this years team did not match the 17-18 squad...and he has got to get some more talent.......Unfortunately Pippen just did not fit..a great athlete but he was kind of linear....a straight ahead guy...Wojcic is PM basketball smart....but needed to beef up.....I think Coach wants to get back to the dance quickly b4 we lose our mojo from the Final Four....We shall see....I just hope we have a season next year?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:37 pm 

swellafelon wrote:
Welcome to Ramblermania, tlang21!

Thanks! Tons of useful info, super glad I came across the forum.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:59 pm 

If we were going to get a grad transfer for one year only,”” The only type of player I would want is a power forward.

CENTER - Locked down with Krut. He’s one of the best in the country.

SMALL FORWARD/wing - Williamson is lights out defensively and has the capability to make shots

SHOOTING GUARD - Kennedy is one of the best in the league.

POINT GUARD - Clemons and Norris are going to provide 40 minutes of solid play.

SMALL FORWARD - ????????. We can stick with Uguak and try to develop Welch as the season progresses. That’s basically our options.

We are loaded at guard and wing with Kaifus, hall, and the optimism of Hebb, and Frank can probably provide 5-7 minutes of relief for Krut in a competitive game, but that 4-spot is our one glaring weakness. If Porter could find a dynamic 6’7 or 6’8” grad transfer to push us over the top, it’s worth it. Any other type of player I think is worthless as I have complete faith and confidence in everyone we have next year to execute at the other 4 positions.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 301 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 31  Next