It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 301 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 12:37 pm 

My niece is a surgical nurse at a suburban hospital and has had her pay cut as well as hours reduced.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 5:49 pm 

All for every player becoming their own star in their own way....but do not see a problem with comparing players as it helps us understand more who that player is....to say he was faster than Custer....gives me a visual and some more info.....but agree in that we may never see a team that matches another team...I know I find myself comparing everyone to the Final 4 team which I know is not fair...but helps me see the new team and who they are and what they may have to do to be successful. Excited about the new addition...Will next year be the most players we have had over 6'7 in the Moser years?
I also had some other reactions which I felt were off topic so I posted them there.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 9:05 pm 

natetheskate wrote:
All for every player becoming their own star in their own way....but do not see a problem with comparing players as it helps us understand more who that player is....to say he was faster than Custer....gives me a visual and some more info.....but agree in that we may never see a team that matches another team...I know I find myself comparing everyone to the Final 4 team which I know is not fair...but helps me see the new team and who they are and what they may have to do to be successful. Excited about the new addition...Will next year be the most players we have had over 6'7 in the Moser years?
I also had some other reactions which I felt were off topic so I posted them there.

Yeah--I don't think comparing them to other players "restricts" their development in any way. Just gives us fans something to talk about and something to imagine when we picture future teams.

But point taken that we have to understand that no team will be like that Final Four team...no team will ever be completely like any other team.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 11:17 pm 

I mean this with all due respect, but in the week of the virus, I have went back and watched all five NCAA games from 2018, and you can’t even compare the players, THEMSELVES, to the way they played in the tournament! If you picked any random regular season game from 2017-2018, and compared the way each player played in the first 4 NCAA games, it’s not even close. Something insane happened to those kids when they hit the floor in Dallas and Atlanta. We’ve seen Krutwig for 2 seasons since play great, but if you go back and watch the moves he was putting on as a freshmen in the tournament - - we have not seen him play that consistently well since. Same thing for Williamson, which I think people forget about some of the big time plays he made.

Ben Richardson against K-State was NOT the Ben Richardson we saw all year.

Don’t even get me started on Andre Jackson. Michigan can say whatever they want, but if Jackson doesn’t get hurt ... we were going to play in the title game.

I think it’s fine to compare the “type” of player someone might be in relation to players past, but comparing and stacking up a player to what a Rambler did in the tournament is probably a bit unfair and puts too high expectations on a guy.

Keith Clemons did not play like NCAA tournament Clayton Custer, obviously. But he played pretty damn close to 2018-2019 Clayton Custer - and that was still solid.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 6:16 am 

Clemons playing like 18-19 Custer? I honestly fail to see that comparison other than they played point guard.

As an aside, I definitely think that it'd be tough to get grown men to mentally rise to the task/expectations of matching the 2018 team's performance, nevertheless kids in their late teens/early 20s. That said, prior player comparisons are a pretty good indicator for the future Ramblers given how much Porter relies on fitting players into his style of play. I'd bet that Porter himself probably relies pretty heavily on these comparisons when he's recruiting.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 6:52 am 

[quote="ToledoRambler"]We’ve seen Krutwig for 2 seasons since play great, but if you go back and watch the moves he was putting on as a freshmen in the tournament - - we have not seen him play that consistently well since. [/quote]

Been thinking anout this, too. I disagree a bit in that I think Krut has been remarkably consistent over three years, but I love him in the low post. I would love to see more lineups where he can sit down there and dominate vs having to facilitate the entire offense.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 11:05 am 

That was not meant to be a shot at Krutwig at all, but I’m just saying, as a freshmen, he played like he was a power conference center in the tournament. Krut’s 3 years have been spectacular.

In his last year, Custer:
PPG: 11.1
Assists: 2.7
Turnovers: 1.9
Steals: 1.1
3pt%: 37.4
FG%: 43.5

Last year, Clemons:
PPG: 10.4
Assists: 2.0
Turnovers: 1.3
Steals: 1.2
3pt%: 45.7
FG%: 45.9

Clemons played an averaged 2 minutes less per game, missed the first part of the season coming back from injury, and took over PG on a team he’d only played with for the summer. His numbers and production were very similar to Custer’s from 2019, if not better.

Now Custer’s 17-18 production — that’s a different story. I think he averaged 4 assists per game that year.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 11:13 am 

ToledoRambler wrote:
That was not meant to be a shot at Krutwig at all, but I’m just saying, as a freshmen, he played like he was a power conference center in the tournament. Krut’s 3 years have been spectacular.

In his last year, Custer:
PPG: 11.1
Assists: 2.7
Turnovers: 1.9
Steals: 1.1
3pt%: 37.4
FG%: 43.5

Last year, Clemons:
PPG: 10.4
Assists: 2.0
Turnovers: 1.3
Steals: 1.2
3pt%: 45.7
FG%: 45.9

Clemons played an averaged 2 minutes less per game, missed the first part of the season coming back from injury, and took over PG on a team he’d only played with for the summer. His numbers and production were very similar to Custer’s from 2019, if not better.

Now Custer’s 17-18 production — that’s a different story. I think he averaged 4 assists per game that year.

Interesting. The numbers kinda match. I wonder if a lot of it was due to expectations (Custer coming off the Bird Trophy/Final 4 year versus Clemons playing at the D1 level for the first time) and that we expected Custer to be more of a volume scorer than Clemons. It also seemed like there were a lot of times during Custer's senior season where he disappeared on offense, whereas Clemons was more consistent.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 12:25 pm 

I thought by the end of the year Clemmons looked so more confident and had some Custer qualities,,,I always thought Custers best feature was his decision making...I also thought we would see lots of improvement from Clemmons this year....man I hope we get to play this season.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 12:53 pm 

Clemons has that "winner" intangible where he elevates in big moments. His pull up jumper was SO smooth at Arch Madness and at home vs. UNI. He also had at least 3 or 4 clutch steals/layups late in games that buried opponents.

I'm really curious to see how the Clemons/Norris point guard combo plays out next year, I really think both are above average starters.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 301 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next