It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: open practice
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:59 pm 

RamblinTank22 wrote:
Blers wrote:
Practice notes:
Negron and Agunanne both were better than expected under the rim; they’re not Krutwig; but they’re hands and touch was better than expected

Does this mean Negron is healthy? I know we were a little worried based off a picture from practice a week ago.

I wasn’t able to make it to the practice, but to your point I have seen other pictures on the Twitters where he was participating in practices

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:16 pm 

Negron suffered a strained hamstring about 3 weeks ago. This was only his first or second practice.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:57 am 

JCT wrote:
Wow, Blers... you've got me really optimistic. I like Krutwig losing a little weight, but not too much....

I'm hoping for big things from Agunanne.

I’m always on the optimistic side for what it’s worth. Agunanne really looks the part out there physically. To be clear Ithink he’ll be able come in off the bench to rebound, defend, and get clean up junk offensively. He’s not a post move machine that can drive an offense like Krutwig or Montel James at this stage. But he looked more effective in the paint than other back up bigs from years passed!

The one thing to remember is there’s also a lot of youth out there. Only Townes, Custer, and Skokna are in the third year or fourth year of playing college b-ball. Uguak’s in his third year but barely played at New Mexico and sat last season. I think the mentality is right but this teams gonna be learning on the fly at times during non-con; with time and patience though there’s a lot to like.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:57 pm 

I know he can't play this year but how did Tate Hall look?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:45 am 

Tate is a real talent. Saw him practicing threes and he drained almost everyone so I started counting. He moved around the three point circle in an arc from about the 8 mark on a clock to the 4 mark on a clock. Took five shots at each of the five spots and drained 23 of 25 and none of them were clankers. All nothing but net.
There is a slight chance he could be eligible for this year based upon a technicality. In any event he is the real deal.
He is a better three point shooter than Devon Turk and one of the best I have ever seen.
Also impressed with Budjuso. Does not play like a freshman. Kaifes is a talent as well and a real shooter. Frank A is very aggressive and good defender. He will help spell Krutwig for sure. Uguak is a solid player down low and a real deal on rebounds and put backs. He can also handle the ball and one of the coaches said he would also play some point guard! This is the most impressive group of recruits I have even seen at Loyola. The key will be to develop that chemistry and cohesiveness.
The coaching staff ran a very well organized and intense practice. Coach Moser takes the time to teach as well. I could site several examples of "teaching moments".
My only complaint is that our recruits have last names that are hard to spell.
There was also a nice reception in the Damen room after the practice. Free drinks and munchies. Brian Day did a great job getting that together.
As someone mentioned Negron pulled a hamstring a couple of weeks back and while a bit tentative looked good when he was on the floor albeit in limited minutes.
This was only his second practice since the pulled hamstring.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:34 am 

25yearstreak wrote:
Tate took five shots at each of the five spots and drained 23 of 25 ...

Wow! That's almost 70%!

25yearstreak wrote:
My only complaint is that our recruits have last names that are hard to spell.

I can just imagine Mr. Greybee's orthographic ordeals.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:09 pm 

So are we all going to just ignore the "Tate Hall may be eligible to play this year because of a technicality" thing? ... Because i found that VERY interesting, and would really like to know the specifics.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:53 pm 

Having Hall would be huge and a massive depth boost for the team. The kid is a lights out shooter and can really do a little bit of everything; if it doesn't work out this year, a year of work in the system and in the weight room will only help him.

We certainly aren't the only team trying to get transfers eligible; sounds like the Mustapha Heron waiver has a lot of schools scrambling....
http://www.tribstar.com/sports/local_co ... 96c24.html
https://www.news-leader.com/story/sport ... 647447002/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:42 pm 

25yearstreak wrote:
Tate is a real talent. Saw him practicing threes and he drained almost everyone so I started counting. He moved around the three point circle in an arc from about the 8 mark on a clock to the 4 mark on a clock. Took five shots at each of the five spots and drained 23 of 25 and none of them were clankers. All nothing but net.
There is a slight chance he could be eligible for this year based upon a technicality. In any event he is the real deal.
He is a better three point shooter than Devon Turk and one of the best I have ever seen.

I once saw Turk make 50 out of 54 (92.59%), slightly besting Mr. Hall's 23/25 (92.0%). But I can't say for sure whether any of the makes hit the rim.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:35 pm 

Hall hit about 43% from behind the arc last year. I would expect something a little lower as he will have to deal with bigger and faster defenders.

I am not shocked about Bujdoso or Agunanne given the programs they came from. Kind of reminds me when we got Blake.

The question is not the offence but can the new guys defend at the college level. Bujdoso played against some of the best point guards in the country and held his own. Agunanne not only played against the top big men in the country but also practiced against Stewart every day.

My question is can Kaifes defend. Is he quick enough. Is Hall quick enough. Can Uguak defend. Can Uguak hit the three.