It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:57 am 

It's incredibly frustrating that Porter finally gets a non-con schedule that isn't a cakewalk and we start laying eggs. Honestly Townes (and maybe Williamson?) is the only one who looked ready for last night and the season in general. Custer seems to have taken a step back. Krutwig is definitely more athletic but with our 3 point shooting in the gutter he gets denied a lot more. Although he had plenty of one on one matchups that he usually wins on offense and that was certainly not the case last night. He was not able to take advantage of most of the opportunities he got the ball in the post one on one. Bleh. It seemed like every time we were about to get a run started something stupid happened and they would add 2 or 3 back to the deficit. I get that this is a learning process and that hopefully we'll be ready for the MVC but it's so so so irritating that we're finally playing tough teams in November and we don't look ready at all.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:09 am 

That’s because they’re not ready for really good teams right now. Our freshmen are freshmen, not one and done freshmen, and Uguak is equivalent to a freshman.
Also, Custer is a point guard, not a volume scorer, and the sooner he gets back to being a point guard the better we will be. Hopefully getting blocked two times in a row from behind hammered that home.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:10 am 

ToledoRambler wrote:
For us, we are going to have a good season and a legitimate shot to win the Valley and keep building our program for years to come. We’ll lose Custer and Townes, but we will have solid returning talent in Krutwig, Williamson, (maybe Uguak), and our freshmen right now who are coming along faster than I expected. Couple that with the best recruiting class coming in that we’ve had in the past three decades, and we’re looking great. Porter will be back, sustaining and improving his system. The loss sucks, but the overall state of the program is great.

Loved this. In years past Porter probably runs the top 5 guys into the ground, while Townes and Custer played 37, the rest of the minutes weren't ridiculous. The young guys (especially Cooper) got some time playing against MEN. Also worth noting that the experience is big for Krutwig and Williamson as well... THEY'RE SOPHOMORES. And honestly Nevada was far more impressive to me than the Michigan team we faced last year on a pure physical level; I doubt we play a team like that the rest of the season.

I agree we have to start beating solid teams... but we really haven't had the opportunity yet (Furman maybe, but as of now they look to be having a special season). Young players can learn how to win against teams like UIC, Ball State, and St. Joes. Beatable but not pushovers by any stretch, they'll give us a real idea of what kind of team we are.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:31 am 

shyhyme wrote:
That’s because they’re not ready for really good teams right now. Our freshmen are freshmen, not one and done freshmen, and Uguak is equivalent to a freshman.
Also, Custer is a point guard, not a volume scorer, and the sooner he gets back to being a point guard the better we will be. Hopefully getting blocked two times in a row from behind hammered that home.

I seem to remember Custer being our leading scorer last year.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:39 am 

ahunte1 wrote:
shyhyme wrote:

I seem to remember Custer being our leading scorer last year.

Not in the post-season. I don’t even think he was our second.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:44 am 

Mr. Miller:

Congratulations on your first post. You managed to criticize just about everything in only a few short sentences. Well done!
But there is still room for improvement. You neglected to call out Sister Jean for the slow pace of her pregame prayer, and JoJo The Frisbee Dog for his failure to execute the Over-The-Back Trick during halftime.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:11 am 

1. Those two layups were great drives that go in against any non 6'7, 7 foot wingspan point guard. Watching from the baseline he had them beat, there was just an NBA small forward defending him. Those were just great plays by an elite player

2. Custer was the leading scorer in the tournament last year.

Game by game:
Miami- Leading Scorer
Tennessee- Second leading scorer + Game winning shot (Jackson)
Nevada-Second leading scorer (Townes)
Kstate-Fifth (Richardson, Townes, Ingram)
Michigan- Second (Krutwig)

Total points scored in the tournament:
Custer-61
Jackson-59
Townes-54
Krutwig-52
Richardson-41
Ingram-35

There's a lot more pressure on him to carry the scoring load this season with the shooting woes right now.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:08 pm 

I wasn’t trying to criticize or bash Custer. He led in scoring often because we had Donte and Aundre in my opinion.
I think the best way to build up freshman is for our nationally acclaimed point guard to set them up for buckets.
I would like him to help the team that way instead of trying to carry the scoring load.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:19 pm 

Blers wrote:
ToledoRambler wrote:
For us, we are going to have a good season and a legitimate shot to win the Valley and keep building our program for years to come. We’ll lose Custer and Townes, but we will have solid returning talent in Krutwig, Williamson, (maybe Uguak), and our freshmen right now who are coming along faster than I expected. Couple that with the best recruiting class coming in that we’ve had in the past three decades, and we’re looking great. Porter will be back, sustaining and improving his system. The loss sucks, but the overall state of the program is great.

Loved this. In years past Porter probably runs the top 5 guys into the ground, while Townes and Custer played 37, the rest of the minutes weren't ridiculous. The young guys (especially Cooper) got some time playing against MEN. Also worth noting that the experience is big for Krutwig and Williamson as well... THEY'RE SOPHOMORES. And honestly Nevada was far more impressive to me than the Michigan team we faced last year on a pure physical level; I doubt we play a team like that the rest of the season.

I agree we have to start beating solid teams... but we really haven't had the opportunity yet (Furman maybe, but as of now they look to be having a special season). Young players can learn how to win against teams like UIC, Ball State, and St. Joes. Beatable but not pushovers by any stretch, they'll give us a real idea of what kind of team we are.

In my opinion this Nevada team is better than any team we played last year. And, at least in terms of the combination of size, athleticism, shooting ability (insanely good), experience, NBA potential, etc., probably better than any team we’ve played since maybe Michigan State in 2000. I would not be shocked if they won it all this year.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:48 pm 

Cool gigapixel picture from last night's game--can zoom in on anyone in the stadium!

http://fan.photo/loyu18t

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next