It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:31 pm 

What AD Watson should do NOW is assure Bryan that he is the head coach in waiting at Loyola. He should point out that Loyola HC is the better job now and for the forseeable future, and worth the wait. He should also forecast that Porter will be hired by a P5 school following the Ramblers' deep run in the 2020-21 NCAA tourney.

I doubt if this would convince Bryan to turn down the SIU job, but it's worth a shot.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:16 pm 

swellafelon wrote:
What AD Watson should do NOW is assure Bryan that he is the head coach in waiting at Loyola. He should point out that Loyola HC is the better job now and for the forseeable future, and worth the wait. He should also forecast that Porter will be hired by a P5 school following the Ramblers' deep run in the 2020-21 NCAA tourney.

I doubt if this would convince Bryan to turn down the SIU job, but it's worth a shot.

I don't doubt it.

Unless Porter signs some ridiculous extension beyond the 7 (is my math right? 25-26 season right?) years he already has or tells Mullins straight up that he's not going anywhere anytime soon regardless of what opportunities open up (say until his youngest kid graduates from high school), it's a super rational decision by Mullins to stay here even an extra year rather than go to SIU.

-We'll have plenty of money to match SIU, maybe even offer more.
-On day 1, he'll walk into a team that he not only has a rapport with but is more than ready to compete for an NCAA bid.
-Our fan base will be just as happy hiring him as SIU's will.
-We have a nicer campus and brand new facilities.
-Recruiting here will probably be easier than recruiting in Carbondale.
-I don't remember, but when SIU had those NCAA tournament runs, was the Sears Tower lit in maroon like it was for our run? (seriously as someone who very well remembers the dark years, how freaking cool was it seeing the skyline lit up in maroon and gold with Go Loyola on some buildings?!)
-He's probably really comfortable here in Chicago. Heck, a move down to SIU will be a move 4-5 hours from his family out in Downers Grove.

Is is there an emotional tie to this because SIU is his alma mater? Sure. But coaches don't look at this like fans do. They look at these situations as a business decision. High School Bryan Mullins probably looked at choosing to play at SIU as a business decision too. This one would be no different for Mullins, and if he were to make a pro/con list, there are plenty of business related factors in the Loyola pro category for him to stay.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:00 pm 

I wouldn’t necessarily say we have better facilities. SIU, many say to their detriment, put a lot of money into athletic facilities a few years ago. A lot. I toured it a few years ago...it’s pretty nice. We’ve done a lot to catch up with facilities, and the practice facility goes a long way, but facilities aren’t a negative in Carbondale.

Chicago is great, close to his home, and those might be enough for him to stay. But he also knows how crazy SIU and that region gets for the Salukis when they’re good, and what it would be like to build them back up. I just wouldn’t be shocked if he took that opportunity.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:21 pm 

01grad wrote:
I wouldn’t necessarily say we have better facilities. SIU, many say to their detriment, put a lot of money into athletic facilities a few years ago. A lot. I toured it a few years ago...it’s pretty nice. We’ve done a lot to catch up with facilities, and the practice facility goes a long way, but facilities aren’t a negative in Carbondale.

Chicago is great, close to his home, and those might be enough for him to stay. But he also knows how crazy SIU and that region gets for the Salukis when they’re good, and what it would be like to build them back up. I just wouldn’t be shocked if he took that opportunity.

Fair point about the facilities. I honestly haven't been to Carbondale, but we will have a brand new practice facility. And I wouldn't be shocked either if he left for SIU. I just don't think it's a foregone conclusion or he has one foot out the door.

The next six weeks will be crucial to how the coaching carousel shapes up too. A lot to be played out. Most everything is pretty much pure speculation.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:22 pm 

Back to the subject of the thread though, I'm definitely excited for this incoming class.

GO RAMBLERS!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:14 pm 

Welch had 30 tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:18 am 

The play this year by our incoming recruits is ...holy crap!!!!
On Porter staying or leaving....I think he stays as long as his kids are still in high school....I think his daughter starts at Loyola Academy...not sure about the boys.......
I think PM is probably really upfront with his assistants. I still think when ISU cut him loose and he split the buy out money with his assistants says a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:24 am 

Nate, I know from a Loyola Academy staffer that Porter's daughter is already a student there.

Interesting that Porter shared some of his ISU buyout money with his assistants.

As for Kennedy and Welch, I think there is a very good chance that Kennedy will be First Team All State and Welch second team. Only thing holding them back is that their teams are not highly ranked.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:27 am 

I think Kennedy has a real shot to be first team. The way he plays both sides of the ball is impressive, and outside of Dajuan Gordon, there aren't any senior guards in state that blow me away, especially with Markese Jacobs injured. Sophomore Max Christie and Junior DJ Steward will probably compete for spots.

Regardless of where they finished all 3 of the recruits are really good, and outside Krutwig I'm not sure we've ever had early commits putting up these kinds of numbers in their senior seasons. Not a stretch to think they could have gotten a few more high major offers.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:16 pm 

swellafelon wrote:
Nate, I know from a Loyola Academy staffer that Porter's daughter is already a student there.

Interesting that Porter shared some of his ISU buyout money with his assistants.

As for Kennedy and Welch, I think there is a very good chance that Kennedy will be First Team All State and Welch second team. Only thing holding them back is that their teams are not highly ranked.

By "start" I meant starts on the girls bball team at LU academy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next