It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:27 pm 

ahunte1 wrote:
Good to hear. I always assume that the rosters of these highly-ranked prep schools are loaded, so I didn't know how much he is really playing.

He actually starts and plays a lot of minutes! I've watched them play a few times in their games that are live streamed; they're so loaded with talent which leads to a lot of one on one, but he seems to be the glue guy that does the little things. He's an excellent passer, defends really hard, and from what I've seen is lethal from the corner.

Dansen wrote:
Some potentially fun shooting lineups in the future with Kaifes, Wojcik, and Tate Hall.

Absolutely!! Welch looks to be a pretty solid shooter from deep as well at 6'8, add in Williamson and our spacing issues should be vastly improved with Uguak and Kennedy as our slashers.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:28 pm 

Dansen wrote:
Some potentially fun shooting lineups in the future with Kaifes, Wojcik, and Tate Hall.

Really sucks that Hall is ineligible this year. I don't know if there is any rhyme or reason for the NCAA's granting of waivers.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:15 pm 

Blers wrote:
Paxson Wojcik finished as the Bob Kirk Invitational Tournament MVP; Wojcik caught fire in La Lu's matchup with #11 Sunrise Christian going 5-7 from three in the first half... still looking for full game stats.

https://twitter.com/BKITHoops/status/10 ... 8038564865

He finished with 18 points and 6 threes.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:13 pm 

My goodness massive game for marquise Kennedy. 44 points against DePaul Prep.

https://twitter.com/wolvesill/status/10 ... 68320?s=21

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:33 pm 

I just hope after Bryan Mullins is hired at the end of this season as SIU's new head coach that none of our Illinois Wolves recruits decommits to follow Bryan to Carbondale.

If we can keep the trio together we will have a very good squad in 2020-21 after they've gotten a year's experience under their belts and join seniors Krutwig, Williamson, et. al.

Last edited by swellafelon on Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:03 pm 

swellafelon wrote:
I just hope after Bryan Mullins is hired at the end of this season as SIU's new head coach that none of our Illinois Wolves recruits decommits to follow Bryan to Carbondale.

If we can keep the trio together we will have a very good squad in 2020-21 after they get a year's experience under their belts and join seniors Krutwig, Williamson, et. al.

It would be super dicey. They've all signed LOIs, so we would have to voluntarily release them. I'm not positive but they might also be subject to the no-scholarship when you transfer in the conference rule that forced Chastain to have to pay his way at ISU last year. I imagine it would get super ugly between Bryan and Porter/Loyola because we do hold most of the cards in this situation. Can't emphasize the ugliness enough. No coach takes kindly to their roster being recruited off of, especially by a conference rival.

Plus, I doubt their decisions were made solely based off of the relationship with an assistant coach. Mullins' conections were huge, but they still would have made that decision to buy into Porter, the school, the city, etc. when they committed. The only thing that's really more appealing for those kids at SIU would be immediate playing time, and even then, all three of them (especially Kennedy) will probably see the court here right away as freshmen. Also, SIU is not in the greatest of financial situations. NIU might be a dark horse to land the services of Mullins, especially if SIU lowballs him.

Worst case scenario is Bryan leaves right away, Porter gets snapped up later in a domino effect, and then who knows what will happen. If that were to happen I could see maybe Wojcik leaving if Porter hires his father at his new school. That said, we'll have some really solid options out there to hire as a new head coach. This program was always looked at as kind of a sleeping giant given our campus, endowment and location, but the Final Four run changed everything. We will have plenty of quality coaches wanting this job so I don't think we whither on a vine if either Porter and/or Bryan leaves.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:11 pm 

I think we have Porter for at least another few years.

Mullins is likely gone if/when Hinson is fired. Although Yaklich may be an appealing name for SIU...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:15 pm 

I suspect there would be enough donor money to grab Mullins. The school is struggling financially, but I’ve heard there have been a few quiet wallets in Southern Illinois the last few years that could be more generous in the right situation. If Hinson is gone after this year, I would be surprised if Mullins isn’t hired. He not only brings the story and experience of the Final Four at Loyola, but also a link to some of the best days in SIU history (and not just because those were some of the same years I was there).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:23 pm 

Yeah I would put the chances of them decommiting to go to SIU extraordinarily low. At this point it’s not like porter/other assistants don’t have a good tie to the Wolves, and Welch and Kennedy both notes connections with porter, the culture, being close to home and campus.

Back to Kennedy, the kid plays a lot like Marques. If he can continue to refine his 3 point shot watch out. I could really see him having a freeman like impact in terms of a two way player.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:27 pm 

It would be interesting for all of us to be a fly on the wall of any conversation between PM and BM. If Porter feels comfortable being super entrenched here, then Bryan will leave. But if Porter is actively looking for a bigger job, then maybe Bryan thinks twice about SIU. I doubt Bryan Mullins' career goals don't include a higher job than SIU even if it is his alma mater. Then it's an interesting question for his future career: do you stay here at a great situation to keep it rolling or do you take the challenge down at SIU with less resources, in a quite frankly worse city, and with less of a guarantee of success? It'll probably be easier for him to parlay Loyola into that high major job that all coaches covet than SIU.

As for Porter, I think with the Final 4 run and all the good things that came from it, he won't leave right away for a meh Big 10 job like Minnesota. But maybe UCLA looks at him? Or something crazy happens at Kansas regarding the FBI investigation and that job opens? Those are blue blood jobs that do not come open often, and not many applicants at either school will have a Final 4 appearance on their resume.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 16  Next