It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:43 pm 

OK.... we've got some newer fans on the board.... let's welcome them and help them get up to speed on college ball. They're probably more familiar with NBA shooting percentages and stats.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:05 pm 

I'm beginning to wonder if Bruno should just pretend the shot clock is running out every time he gets the ball. He is money in those situations.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:17 pm 

For fun...

Can someone start a poll for who's the best 3 point shooter, Turk or Cooper??
Thoughts...
Also, I think Cooper will take that number 1 spot in 3pts, on the LU all time board. I love them both!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:41 pm 

#PROUDMOM wrote:
For fun...

Can someone start a poll for who's the best 3 point shooter, Turk or Cooper??
Thoughts...
Also, I think Cooper will take that number 1 spot in 3pts, on the LU all time board. I love them both!!

Definitely could be. I think it’s too early to affirmatively make that call, though, until he see’s an entire season and is put in some spots to make clutch shots in big games. Turk hit a lot of those for the Ramblers.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:50 pm 

swellafelon wrote:

What are you talking about?!?

FT% and 3P% for the season are low as is the team PPG, 251st in the nation
Custer and Townes shot a combined 1-for-6 from 3 today
Custer .306 from 3 this year, down from .451 last year
so some numbers to improve upon
but they are acceptable, sure

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:08 am 

Continuing the JUST FOR FUN conversation, I saw, enjoyed and was impressed with Turk's skills, and his three point shooting was pure, actually amazing, yet as with all three point guns he was streaky. Cooper, as a freshman, has shown catch and shoot skills out of the box, PLUS, I see very nice headfakes and the occasional take it to the basket skills off of those fakes. Future looks great for Kaifes. Just keep working on the defensive skills and PM will ride with him.
Back to the general conversation, I also wonder why we can't play two bigs, esp. Negron / Krutwig at the same time. What I do not know, is what was expected of Negron from day one, i.e. was he always anticipating being a traditional center type player? He seems to show some quickness this year, but never playing as a PF facing the basket.... Is that potential in his skill set, because it would be awesome if he could. Thoughts???
Oh, and GO RAMBLERS, one game at a time.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:44 am 

Turk was an awesome pure shooter. He developed additional parts of his game over his career, but I have to agree that Cooper is showing good ability to shot fake and drive or pass that is way beyond what Turk could do 7 games into his career.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:32 am 

Re Negron, I agree that he doesnt appear to have a defined role yet. In high school and in practices/shoot arounds, he has shown a legit mid range jumper. I'm not sure why he hasn't been given a chance to try that. He has already shown solid post moves...if he can demonstrate a mid range game, he can really be valuable to this team.

Hope he gets more time out there.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:34 am 

Speaking of Turk.. does anyone know what he is up to these days? With that shot I would assume he would have gotten the opportunity to play overseas!?!?! I don't recall seeing him at any games... so I'm thinking that he's not local at the least.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:14 am 

I love the Kaifes Turk comparison. I agree Kaifes is much farther along at this point. Turk really developed an all around game by his senior year. He was just as much a threat inside the arc as outside, and he became a pretty good defender to boot. Kaifes will get there too I’m sure. I appreciate Kaifes doesn’t throw every shot up; he’ll try and penetrate off a head fake for easy two’s, or pass to the open man when appropriate.

Also my understanding on Negron is he has a lot of high major offers early (u of I, Iowa, Creighton) but they dried up because his shot and ball handling didn’t advance as far as needed to play wing at the college level, nor did he grow to prototypical center size (hence DePaul, Bradley, Oregon state, and us in his final list). I still love what he brings and hope we can find more time for him (and his energy, he’s always loud on the bench and in games). I liked his move to the basket yesterday and love that he can block shots and play above the rim. It seems like he struggles some against quick guards which isn’t shocking given his experience. It’s just tough to get time when you have Krutwig who you don’t wanna keep on the bench, and Agunanne who’s brimming with potential like negron is as well. The curse of having quality depth inside, especially in our offense.

The thing with playing two bigs in our offense is that one of them needs to be able to shoot the 3 confidently. If they can’t than you’re basically playing 4 on 5 because the defense knows not to worry about the 4 man. And I’m not sure how hard it is to change play style like that mid season. Our redshirt Tate Hall would be perfect, 6’7 and a lights out shooter, Welch is similar, mobile, can shoot outside, while also able to rebound and do work inside as well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next