It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:42 pm 

One thing that LU has is common with all 3 of our losses this year is that we have been beaten on the inside in all of them, we played small & they played big.

At home, against Nevada, they went with 4 or 5 bigs throughout the game. We played only
6 minutes with 2 big men &
[b][u]34 minutes with 4 guards[/u][/b].

We lost by 14 points & they got 14 more points in the paint than we did.

Last year our NCAA Final 4 team only averaged 3.87 minutes a game with 4 guards.

The coach is playing small ball against the big boys & the result is losses & injured players (the spectacular Lucas Williamson - who is pushed into a role where he is 5th in the MVC in rebounding - is making up for the big players the coach keeps on the bench). I give the coach credit for his injury.

Small ball is fine for high school, not for NCAA tournament level teams.

No, I don’t expect a Final 4 team this year. We are down to 9 active scholarship players with 3 of the 4 big ones (Agunanne, Ugauk, & Negron) playing limited minutes. With Williamson out we are down to 3 of our 7 regulars left from last year & our newcomers are getting limited playing time.

I am looking for a winning conference record (which the coach did last year for the first time in 11 seasons of coaching in the Horizon & the MVC).

I don’t mind losing in the pre-conference games if he gives our 2 talented freshmen guards & our 3 big men with limited experience but great potential (Negron, Agunanne, & Uguak) plenty of playing time.

I don’t want to go into the MVC with a 4 guard lineup. I was hoping the coach would learn about using big men from last year, rather than returning to his losing ways.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:09 pm 

Nevada had the same size last year, and the fact that we went small by replacing Krutwig with Jackson is what won that game.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:19 pm 

You blame Moser for Williamson's broken hand because he was defending guys a couple inches taller? Come on. This post is more ridiculous than your "per 40 min" stat exposition.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:00 pm 

All I know is we looked terrible and gave back almost all our points from a nice surge when we tried a very small lineup.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:13 am 

I continue to think - after years on this board- that there is a minority of posters that think PM is not a good coach.
This post is a joke - and I am sorry but the reality is that you don’t know basketball.
Negron and Frank are defensive and offensive liabilities- at this point. Who could either one of them handled defensively with Krutwig in the game vs Nevada?

This is a good team — but they will take time and if things work out they will make a run at the post season.

And if you think PM is a bad coach - just wait till somebody comes and pays him $3m a year and he leaves. LU b-ball will falter back within 3-4 years of his departure to where it was when he arrived.

Check me if I’m wrong, but didn’t this guy lead a team to the final four? I guess that was all luck.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:10 pm 

We played a 4 guard lineup a lot last year.( Custer,Townes,Richardson and Ingram)....Donte Ingram was the inside/outside guy....gave us lots of matchup problems to opposing teams. He can play small offensively and if they put a guard on him he could go inside.....he could also drive to the basket....we have not yet matched his type of play yet...I am guessing that is why Uguak has gotten so much playing time,,,but he has not yet shown the skill set to match what Donte gave us his last two years..... And the offense we ran was literally called 4 out/1 in........But maybe a legitimate point that we do not have as of yet a group that can play the 4/1. Maybe Custer, Williamson, Townes and then (Kaifes and Bujduso)

But no way you can blame the coach for Williamsons injury!!!! For all we know he could have bumped it on the scorers table....

The guy we recruited for next year, Welch, I believe is exactly what we need for the 4/1.
Last year when they put Krutwig and Johnson in together they played some version of a high post, low post...it was awkward....the high post guy has to be able to shoot from 15, drive and pass......are any of our other bigs capable of doing this?
Might just be an awkward year that is developmental for a lot of the newbies.
One thing that confuses me is that Coach had a year of practice ot watch Uguak,,,,and he was the decision to start......Does he have the skills but just has not got comfortable yet?
Lets be patient with this team and be happy if we can keep the game day experience positive.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:30 pm 

Nate, 6-6 215 lb Donte Ingram was a small forward who played power forward in HS & for LU - he was not a guard. 6-5 230 Aundre Jackson was a power forward who spent most of his time at center, but also backed up Donte Ingram at power forward last year.

18 - I should look at 1 year & ignore the other 10? I am not calling for a new coach & I am calling for the coach to wake up & play more like last year & not his 4 guard dream.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:46 pm 

If you really think Dante was a power forward there is nothing more to discuss. As I said - there are some that can’t seem to stand PM...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:11 pm 

Rambling18 wrote:
If you really think Dante was a power forward there is nothing more to discuss. As I said - there are some that can’t seem to stand PM...

Yeah. This is silly. One thing I would be interested in seeing us try is for Uguak to play more of a traditional 4 on offense the way Aundre did last year when he was on the court with Krutwig. He can stretch the floor a little, but they can also play high/low. Uguak is playing a wing 4 like Donte right now, and we can see how that is going.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:47 pm 

can't play small ball shooting .321 from three