It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:01 pm 

Not much to say, we played like crap early, got the lead, then shot ourselves in the foot and promptly gave the game right back to them.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:10 pm 

We are really, really, really hurting and confused. And it's contagious.

There is no point in having Uguak on the perimeter for any reason. I don't care if they stop the game, evacuate the crowd, send all the players home, and put up a police barrier two miles in every direction from the Gentile Arena-- he shouldn't be shooting threes.

We can't let things get out of hand early in games. Every team that's beat us has punched us in the mouth early, playing with more energy and enthusiasm, building up a big lead while we're trying to ramp up to their energy level.

With the injuries to our best defensive player and our top bench guy, I could understand this loss. Still hurts. Especially since we shouldn't have lost against Furman and BC. We put up a good fight, but I'd like to see us take the first punch against other teams from here on out, instead of having to come back while we're bleeding over ourselves and picking up teeth.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:11 pm 

There is NO excuse to shoot free throws as bad as we have been this year. We are near the bottom of the nation. Really unacceptable.

Guess the only positive I can take from tonight is Aher looked OK at times. Still awkward even when driving to the hoop...but at least he is driving.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:28 pm 

Well said, JCT. We are a mess right now. Too many mental mistakes and not enough good shots.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:31 pm 

If anyone thinks Aher played decent tonight, go back and watch the first half when we slipped behind by 11 and watch how it happened. Plus, even in the second half when he got to the basket, he looked completely out of control.

Maybe y’all are right that he’s good (or will be good)... but I’m starting to think he may just not be suited to the offense Porter runs. He might not be the type of player that fits into this system. I hope I’m wrong, but at this point, we are 9 games in and, in my opinion, he’s cost us more possessions and points than he’s gained us in EACH ONE of those games. I know we are thin right now, but i would rather see Custer, Kaifes, Townes, and Krutwig with Frank and Negron switching back and forth. I realize that puts too many minutes on Krut, but we could at least try it in the first half and see if it gets us off to a better start.

I have faith in PM, but he’s got to be just as frustrated right now as we all are.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:06 pm 

Toledo-- I think he's got to be fit in right to the offense, because he has fantastic physical abilities. He's an inside player, not an outside player. He's got to go right up with a shot before the defense can get to him. If he's going downhill toward the basket within 10 feet, he's very good. Plus-plus rebounder. But he shouldn't be playing behind the arc unless he's attempting to block a 6'8" player shooting a three.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:01 am 

I liked what we got from Aher; he attacked hard and was drawing fouls and making free throws in the second half. Pretty sure he was in when we finally got out ahead in the game. When he attacks it's usually a basket or a foul.

It was nice to see Isaiah play well in the first half and knock down a pair of threes and play well, kinda surprised he didn't play more minutes in the second half. Negron had a nice stint but also put up a really wild shot when put on the floor with Krutwig.

I think the thing right now is we don't have reliable shooters; plain and simple. Coopers percentage was way too high so he was due for a game or two like this where his shot isn't falling. But statistically Lucas is our third best from deep and Skokna can get hot from time to time, missing them hurts. Custers and Townes 3 point shots (33% and 31%) been struggling this year and Aher's isn't there either. It sucks because more often than not we're getting great looks but the shots just don't fall, 32% on the season from deep (223 in the country).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:41 am 

And yet, despite being top-10 in the country in 2-point shooting, we still keep launching threes...

Outside of Cooper, we are a horrific 41/145 from three this year (28.3%).

Here's a list of three point attempts by game.

LOSSES
Ball State - 22
Nevada - 20
BC - 24
Furman - 20

AVG = 21.5

WINS
UIC - 13
Richmond - 19 <- we made 8 this game
Grambling - 16
Niagara - 19
UMKC - 22 <- Cooper was 5/7

AVG = 17.8

To me, it is reflective of poor decision making. Struggling to find a rhythm, forcing shots and getting blocked (Townes), dribbling too much (Custer), taking shots we don't need (Aher), forcing passes (Krutwig). All of those mistakes were made in the last 3-4 minutes last night and really hurt us.

Side note: I'm with Blers in that I was glad to see Aher driving and drawing contact.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:09 am 

Last year we were a well-oiled machine,,,with 5 starters plus two unusually good freshman....we were highly confident....this year we are a bunch on new parts who may or may not be on the machine correctly...going through a transition of ....what is it gonna be like...oh this is how it is....wonder if I can do it.....what do I have to change...and eventually "By God Ive Got It"....In the mean time the returners are wondering ig the new guys will ever pick it up and fit in and " maybe I have to do more" and try to hard....
We had to change the tires,,,,,,,now we gotta get the car back on the road.......

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:13 am 

Don't want to harp on the same point...but the free throws are still irritating me a bit.

One sequence pops into mind. With about 10 seconds left, down 5, Towns drove the lane and was fouled. He JUST missed the and-1. It almost seemed like he was upset and kind of "whatever" about the free throws after the layup didn't go in---almost resigned to the fate of losing. He missed both. If those two go in, we are down 3 with 10 seconds left. A turnover and we could have tied the game. Hate missed free throws all game long--but those two really stood out to me as disappointing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next