It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:45 pm 

Sorry, but that was absolutely brutal.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:30 am 

The number of assists were horrible too... I think they had 1 (maybe 2) in the first half!?!?! And than 17 turnovers.... yuk!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:14 am 

If the Ramblers do not finish in first place to guarantee at least an NIT bid, one loss in St. Louis will result in a CBI or CIT bid at most. NIT at large bids are very hard to get and the NCAA at large bid is long gone.

Finishing 1st is huge....after that anywhere between 2nd and 6th doesn't really matter.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:48 am 

What an ugly game. I missed the first ten minutes setting up a trial hulu account and the thirty minutes I did see weren't worth it. Losing games because you're having difficulty integrating freshman/newcomers is one thing. Losing conference games because your 5th seniors can't score or make good decisions with the ball is another thing entirely.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:37 am 

Weird gut-punch.

After watching the two previous games, I thought we turned the corner and we were looking like the team I thought we would be. This game was a shocker. They made some unbelievable shots and the game seemed to be called in a way we were not accustom. We made no adjustments. We did not finish strong around the basket. We missed at least eight lay-ups. We looked more like a last place team than defending champions. Porter looked like he was scrambling for an answer and was ready to leave with ten minutes left in the game. Brutal. Do you think we were looking past them and focusing on Saturday's game?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:43 pm 

I certainly don't think Porter was looking past them. Who knows what the team was thinking though? That game was really unexplainable with the talent that we have on the team. It never should have gotten that ugly.

I, too, had to hurry to get a Hulu Plus trial account to watch the game and was able to tune in right when the refs were discussing the double flagrant on Krutwig and that ridiculous lookin' dude. I didn't get to see the play they were discussing. Can anybody recap what happened?

Also, the Evansville guy definitely was throwing an elbow in the pain later, and shoudl have been called with another flagrant, which would have booted him from the game.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:15 pm 

It was a "hook and hold" flagrant per the new point of emphasis this year.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:15 pm 

Disclaimer: I watched most of this game with the sound off so I can't really accurately comment on the announcers. However, I disagree with the Duke comment. We may not be a consistent national power yet, but we are definitely an established national brand and (no offense to the rest of the conference) the biggest attraction in this conference by a wide margin. It might be weird to think about for us diehards from the dark ages of Loyola basketball, but that one monumental season radically changed the whole program. Even for the younger among us, remember that first year in the Valley? Definitely a building year for us just like this year is for Evansville, but Wichita State was coming off a Final Four appearance that year. Yes, Wichita State was better that year than we are this year and they didn't have as dramatic of a turnaround into a winning program as we just did. But could you imagine how big it would have been for our program to beat them by 20 that year? So as much as the loss is disappointing, hats off to Evansville. It's tough to dump on them, and hopefully they use it to build some momentum around their program after kind of languishing the past few years.

As for our offense, there is no margin for error. Last year, we didn't really have a lot of shooting error so to speak of, which was why it worked so well. But completely conceding any offensive rebounds kills us if we have an off shooting night. Some of it is matchup (4 guards and 1 forward), some of it is philosophy (PM is willing to concede offensive rebounds no matter how terrible our shooting is). That said, if our guards can't make shots and Krutwig doesn't have his ridiculously high FG % touch on that first shot, we won't beat even a low major team. To win these kind of games, we're going to have to go big with Krutwig, Uguak, Negron, and Agunanne crashing the boards and getting garbage baskets. This game probably got too far out of our reach, but I think the Furman, Ball State, St. Joe's and maybe even the Maryland game could have been wins if we went to a less guard oriented offense, sacrificing 3s and outside shots for putbacks.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:04 pm 

After seeing an article from Evansville....it seems we ran into a buzz saw that was extra ready.....we got hit in the mouth and did not respond...There are some teams that are working hard to rebuild....First off McCarthy is going to build a solid program at Evansville . He is top notch...In the Valley we are going to get everyones best shot....McCarthy pulled out a an Evansville Tenacity belt modeled after a WWF belt..for the player the most tenacious for the night......We are top of the mountain and Tuesday was an example of what we need to prepare for. From the Evansville paper
"When Porter Moser returns to Chicago and walks inside his locker room, he might very well look at his “Loyola Culture” wall and mentally check off the adages his Ramblers had seemingly forgotten Tuesday night at Evansville.

This comes with the territory after a Final Four run in the NCAA tournament last season. Everyone is going to give Loyola their best shot, including a Purple Aces team that – if nothing else this winter – had been known to do exactly that against marquee opponents.

But even Moser had to throw his hands up at some of the oddities in UE’s 67-48 rout at the Ford Center.

“I don’t know if the big boy’s ever hit a 3,” he said, referring to senior Dainius Chatkevicius’ deep ball from the right corner out of a baseline out-of-bounds play that pushed the Aces’ lead to 22 with 7:30 to play.

“But we have to respond. … They just kept punching and we stayed on our heels. We were on our heels the entire night. They 100 percent came out and took it to us.”

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:34 am 

Fatigue and complacency will do that. This was one time when there was nothing in the tank when we put the pedal to the metal. Its going to happen.
Congrats to Evansville.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next