It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:55 pm 

Saturday, January 19, 2019, 1:00 p.m.
Hulman Center, Terre Haute, Indiana

Before the Ramblers have had a chance to see Bradley, Missouri State, Northern Iowa, or Southern Illinois at all, Loyola is set to wrap up play for the season with Indiana State on Saturday. The Sycamores are 2-3 in conference with wins over Bradley and Evansville, and losses to Loyola, Missouri State, and Northern Iowa.

Loyola’s game against Indiana State just 2 ½ weeks ago was a blowout. With the score tied 8-8 after five minutes, the Ramblers went on a 38-4 run to close out the first half and ultimately won by 35. The Ramblers kept the MVC’s leading scorer Jordan Barnes without a point, the only time in his last 42 games that Barnes hasn’t scored in double figures. Tyreke Key put on a show for the Sycamores with 21 points to lead all scorers, but the rest of the Indiana State starting lineup scored only two points combined.

After losing at Loyola, the Sycamores rebounded with a home win over Bradley. They lost at home to Missouri State before heading out on the road for a win at Evansville and a loss at Northern Iowa. In both of the Sycamore wins, 6’5” Iowa transfer Christian Williams led the Trees in both points and rebounds. Williams doesn’t shoot for a high percentage from the field, but he’s active in attacking the basket and reaching the free throw line.

Rounding out the starting lineup are 6’9” senior center Emondre Rickman and 6’7” senior guard/forward Allante Holston. From the bench, 6’4” guard Cooper Neese, 6’6” sophomore guard Clayton Hughes, and 6’8” forward/center Bronson Kessinger will see heavy minutes. In ISU’s loss at Loyola, only Key (21 points) and Neese (10 points) scored in double digits; Rickman, Williams and Barnes were all held scoreless.

Indiana State is 5-2 this year at home (1-1 in conference), and Loyola is 2-2 in road games (1-1 in conference). Although Loyola should be confident in this rematch of a blowout from two weeks ago (and this time having top defender Lucas Williamson able to play), the Ramblers need to be mindful of home court advantage and keeping key players out of foul trouble.

Digging in on defense at key moments in the game has been a hallmark of Loyola’s big wins over the past several years. When Loyola gets into scoring droughts or trouble spots in games, it’s usually when they’re thinking too much about their offense. Most of the time, great defensive stands lead to easier points at the other end. It worked in the last game against Indiana State, and it’s a great way to keep the home crowd out of the game on the road.

This game will include a halftime celebration of the 40th anniversary of Indiana State’s 1979 Final Four trip which reached the Championship Final against Magic Johnson and Michigan State. Indiana State knocked out DePaul to reach the final.

Loyola game notes: https://loyolaramblers.com/documents/20 ... df?id=8295

Indiana State game notes: https://gosycamores.com/documents/2019/ ... eNotes.pdf

TV/Streaming video: ESPN U http://www.espn.com/watch/_/id/3455924/ ... basketball

Live stats: https://gosycamores.com/sidearmstats/mbball/media

Vegas odds: Loyola by 4

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:53 pm 

I'm on the road and hoping to watch the game on my laptop. Does anyone know if any type of subscription is needed to watch a game on ESPNU?

Thanks and GO RAMBLERS!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:37 am 

I think you can watch ESPN stations if you are able to sign on to your cable provider.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:46 am 

JCT,
Just to make it clear,Barnes was held to single digits,not because of our defense,but because he was under the weather.He only played limited minutes in the first half and did not play at all in the 2nd half because of the illness.I hope our defense can hold him in check today.He is a very good player.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:34 am 

Having been at that game Barnes sure didnt look sick at tip off but his turn overs and early shot clock 3s did seem to make his coach ill before he was benched in the first half.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:26 am 

Robbie Aces wrote:
I'm on the road and hoping to watch the game on my laptop. Does anyone know if any type of subscription is needed to watch a game on ESPNU?

I go ESPN+ for 4 bucks a month....which is on all my crap (phone, tablet, laptop) Have enjoyed it.......It has been fun to watch a lot of other Valley games etc. Plus Replays of the games has been a nice feature.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:48 am 

This game is a big deal for Indiana State with the 40th Anniversary celebration. It is their first sell out in apparently a long time.
Don't expect the Ramblers to cruise like they did the first meeting. Wouldn't surprise me if we lost. Key is to get off to a good start to keep the crowd out of it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:36 am 

Ramblin Ray wrote:
JCT,
Just to make it clear,Barnes was held to single digits,not because of our defense,but because he was under the weather.He only played limited minutes in the first half and did not play at all in the 2nd half because of the illness.I hope our defense can hold him in check today.He is a very good player.

I know he was said to be under the weather, but why does that matter? He started, took three shots, and played 14 minutes. The last time Barnes was held scoreless was against Missouri State in December 2016; since that game he has played 14 minutes or less several times, and taken fewer shots from the field several times, but he has not been held scoreless.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:48 am 

I bet if someone does the data work they will find that Loyola teams under PM in the last 4 years have a high % of keeping the opponents top scorer under his average as well as forcing someone else to be the top scorer. Defense, Defense, Defense

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:05 pm 

natetheskate wrote:
Robbie Aces wrote:

I go ESPN+ for 4 bucks a month....which is on all my crap (phone, tablet, laptop) Have enjoyed it.......It has been fun to watch a lot of other Valley games etc. Plus Replays of the games has been a nice feature.

But unless I am mistaken, an ESPN+ subrsciption does not get you access to games that are on ESPNU.