It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:31 am 

Glad you did that ahunte1. The board needs someone with sense sometimes.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:32 am 

I disagree with anyone who believes there was a lack of effort last night. I have seen our team looked lost this year. I did not feel that way after this loss. I thought there was plenty of effort. Defense was not bad. It was good enough to win.

Our offense is killing us. We were sloppy with the ball - too many unforced turnovers. We need to hit open shots. Krutwig is not going to get any room to operate if we don't hit open shots. We need to adjust when we are not hitting from the outside. In my opinion, we need players like Townes and Skokna to drive to the basket when the outside shots are not falling. They make good things happen when they drive to the basket. I know that midrange jumpers and drives to the basket are not efficient basketball, but we need to make an adjustment. At one point, we were like 0 for 8 from three point range and 5 for 5 from inside. In a game like this, we needed to drive to the hoop rather than try to get it to Krutwig when he is double and tripled teamed and see if this will change the momentum.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:34 am 

Good post 88. We kept playing defense, which should have given us a chance. Our offense created open shots, too. Hopefully we shoot better at home (and in St Louis). Quick turnaround for Tuesday night vs Drake (the GoRamblers bowl). Another big game.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:16 am 

Still at the top of the league standings which is nice....starting to get a bit concerned that we are going to be able to maintain that spot playing so many different 4 guard lineups though. Im not sure if we have enough depth at guard to warrant those lineups, I know the spacing issues offensively with Cam & Negron on the court at the same time but at some point I'd like to see us at least give it a try. Its not like we'd be sacrificing spacing, we currently dont have any anyway.

Still feeling good though, need to win against Drake though.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:28 am 

ahunte1 wrote:
Quick turnaround for Tuesday night vs Drake (the GoRamblers bowl).

Hate the Drake

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:49 am 

ahunte1 wrote:
Good post 88. We kept playing defense, which should have given us a chance. Our offense created open shots, too. Hopefully we shoot better at home (and in St Louis). Quick turnaround for Tuesday night vs Drake (the GoRamblers bowl). Another big game.

Heavy minutes tonight......I agree...this quick turnaround plus what I am guessing was an emotional loss......will really take some mental fortitude.Losing on the road in a tough atmosphere against a big crowd with one of your starters out...as well as cold as last Thursday.....maybe not unexpected......but need to be ready to play on Tuesday....thats the Valley......wish PM had given more minutes....says a lot about what he thinks at this point about the development of some of his young guys.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:30 pm 

Perspective always interesting. We all agree that we aren't playing as well as we expect, especially on offense. YET, we played a tough road game against the potentially most difficult team and had a reasonable shot of a possible win. In the last part of the 2nd half, I felt a palpable breakdown by ISU, BUT our guys didn't grab it. We have come a long way from two years ago. Who wasn't thrilled with simply making the NCAA tourney last year. and a repeat of that feat should be considered a very successful season.
PM was likely all in with the experienced guys as this could have been pivotal to get a W and a two game lead on 2nd place.
Going forward it will likely not get easier as last nights loss makes Drake a big game......
Our guys are not quitters, and will bounce back with resilience every game.
Side note on Chastain: Missed a year due to injury, Sat last year, paid his own freight, and the transfer bumped him from being involved in the NCAA last year. Ends up in the starting lineup, and shows nice skills.... Wonder what played out in his decision to leave LUC. Would have been a nice piece for our team.
PM isn't going to give playing time for the sake of gaining experience. Playing time is earned and thats not changing. Plus we will play to win every game.
On to Drake! Gotta give them their props as who didn't think they'd tank when Norton went down???? That being said, I hope the Ramblers can put them away on Tuesday in a convincing fashion.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:58 pm 

Blers wrote:
That said, their future is gonna be weird with what they're losing, particularly when combined with what they have coming back (1 high school commit, guessing it will be a juco heavy team next year).

Illinois State has 3 DI transfers sitting out this season.

Dedric Ward 6'4 SG (eastern Kentucky). Averaged 13 ppg as a freshman

Keith Fisher 6'8 PF (San Jose state). Averaged 10 ppg and 6 boards as a freshman

Jaycee Hillsman 6'6 F (San Jose state) averaged 9.5 ppg as a junior

2 redshirts this year as well:

Taylor Bruninga 6'8 F. (Medical) Averaged 5 ppg as a true freshman last season. 35% from trey

Abdou Ndiaye 6'9 F/C (academics). Raw player. Had offers from Wichita State, unlv, ole miss

5 scholarship players sitting out this year.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:59 pm 

On the spur of the moment I decided to drive down to Normal and watch the game. Bought a ticket in the lower bowl for 10 bucks from a scalper. Nice. Saved money and didn't contribute the ISU's coffers.

I was the only Ramblermaniac in a sea of Redbird fans and that really cramped my rooting style. I wound up doing a lot of polite golf clapping whenever the Ramblers did anything good. I also made sure to applaud enthusiastically all the Redbird athletes introduced at halftime who he had achieved a high GPA. It was weird to watch the game under such constraints. I'd liken it to politely sipping a glass of wine when you want to guzzle a fifth. Very unsatisfying.
It was a fun game atmosphere.The student body was very enthusiastic and the Redbird mascots were quite entertaining. They sold beer and you could use it to wash down a Gondola sandwich from the Avanti's stand in the concourse.
The Rambler's defense was fine. Their downfall was cold 3 point shooting and the inability to feed Krutwig in the post in a position where he could operate. Custer was cold; in his defense he had at least two 3s that rattled out.
I don't think you should read too much into this game. We were not soft, we just had an off night shooting.

As for the Gondolla sandwich, JCT's review was spot on. True, the meat was not bologna, but it was a ham no pig would be proud of. Too bad JCT's basketball acumen isn't as sharp as his gastronomic instincts.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:16 pm 

I hated losing to ISU a lot more than I thought I would. I turned it off somewhere around Custer's 9th missed three and so missed the squandered opportunity for a comeback.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7