It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Ramblers' "Majak" Number
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:01 pm 

I've noticed that the average game thread has about twice as many comments in our losses compared to wins. In an attempt to get some good mojo going, I'm rebooting this thread from last year in Big Joe's honor. Magic number for the outright regular season championship/NIT automatic bid:

Post subject: Re: Magic Number
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:19 pm 

It certainly worked last year!!! Lets keep it going

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:22 pm 

speaking of good vibes, Porter is sponsoring a bus of students to head down to Valpo on Sunday.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:27 pm 

Awesome... I was wondering if they were going to do that again this year. I think they had 2 buses go down last year...if memory serves me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:52 pm 

Good idea, ahunte. But to make it great we should Ramblerize it by calling it the "Majak Number" in honor of Rambler near-great Majak Kou.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:55 pm 

I know a few people have said the regular season MVC championship doesn't mean a whole lot--but I disagree. While we all want to get back to the Dance, especially for Custer and Townes, an NIT berth and an MVC championship would be great for this program. It would keep momentum moving and set us up for next year.

The alternative of not winning the regular season crown and then losing in STL likely means no postseason (unless we do a crappy CBI/CIT).

So....let's win the damn thing!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:05 pm 

Good call, swella.

goramblers2011 wrote:
I know a few people have said the regular season MVC championship doesn't mean a whole lot--but I disagree.

Me too. Winning a conference title is a big deal, and I think it should be our main goal year in, year out. A lot has to go right to win Arch Madness and make a run in the NCAA.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:06 am 

I agree, winning back to back regular season titles is very important IMO. We are still establishing ourselves as a "basketball school" with our current students and recent graduates. Trophies, especially conference titles will help build that base.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:03 am 

I couldn't agree more! It's all about building the culture that it's "cool" to go to the games.... that it's "cool" to go back to the games after you graduate. And a one hit wonder will only last you so long when it comes to that! I think it's obvious that the momentum with students has all ready slowed. The last two games I've been to the student section hasn't been anywhere near at capacity.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:56 am 

As others have said I think that winning the conference should be the goal every year. While you want to make the tournament obviously mid-majors have such a tough time with how selection works you can only control so much. If we are a consistent presence at towards the top of the conference with the occasional Arch Madness win I think that will be amazing progress for the program from where we were.