It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:02 am 

There is not much you can do when the other team is draining threes. They hit everything. We played well - just not well enough to beat them. As a far as offense goes, we took what they were giving us.

The stats are deceiving because MOST could not defend the Krutwig-Townes and we kept going back to it.

With that said, I think we had some turnovers after we passed up open shots. Our other 6 players combined for 9 shots. I am not the coach, but I think they need to take open shots. In some cases, they need the confidence to shoot.

I am not going to criticize our bench players, but I think we are playing our best 7 and we are trying to get the 7 meaningful playing time before Arch Madness.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:21 am 

Someone said earlier that Williamson wasn't on the bench? I didnt notice but is that true? And if so, anyone know why?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:58 am 

Rambler88 wrote:
There is not much you can do when the other team is draining threes. They hit everything. We played well - just not well enough to beat them. As a far as offense goes, we took what they were giving us.

The stats are deceiving because MOST could not defend the Krutwig-Townes and we kept going back to it.

With that said, I think we had some turnovers after we passed up open shots. Our other 6 players combined for 9 shots. I am not the coach, but I think they need to take open shots. In some cases, they need the confidence to shoot.

I am not going to criticize our bench players, but I think we are playing our best 7 and we are trying to get the 7 meaningful playing time before Arch Madness.

Well said. In a game played at such a slow pace, we scored enough to win.

goramblers2011 wrote:
Someone said earlier that Williamson wasn't on the bench? I didnt notice but is that true? And if so, anyone know why?

Hoping he spent the weekend at a hand rehabilitation center and will be ready for Wednesday! :)

Decent perspective here:

Column: Loyola is stumbling, but it's not time to panic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:10 am 

They used the same strategy as they did in the first game, taking the air out of the ball until the final seconds of the shot clock. The differences in yesterday’s game were (a) our offense and rebounding wasn’t terrible, and (b) they were hitting threes at the buzzer at an insane rate. At one point in the second half they were at near 80% in three point percentage. Not much you can really do on defense, we contested most of them. And not likely something that’s repeatable.

Getting Lucas back will be huge. Both for defensive depth, and adding another scoring option if he’s able to regain his shot before St.Louis.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:21 am 

ahunte1 wrote:

Not so sure I agree with this quote from the article:

On Sunday, even in a losing effort, the Ramblers showed they are probably a better team than Missouri State, which had previously dismantled Loyola 70-35 in a concerning January loss.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:24 am 

In regards to Bujdoso, there was a point where after a couple bad plays by some guards Porter turned to him and said something. He nodded and looked like he was ready to go. A few minutes later with Clayton on the bench Porter yelled down and he jumped up like he was about to go in, but the call was for Clayton who subbed in. It seemed like Porter was close to giving him a few good minutes, but for whatever reason never put him in. I don't know quite what was going on, but I wouldn't be too surprised if we see Bujdoso get a few minutes each game going forward.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:41 am 

If the made 3s thing was an aberration or a 1 time deal I wouldnt be so mad about it but we lead the league in 3s allowed and are dead last in FT shooting. Its hard to feel like we played a good game when we lost because we made the same mistakes we have made all year.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:48 am 

Reminds me of Indiana State the CBI year. They blasted us in the regular season making all their 3's; before not getting one to drop in St. Louis.

They play a horrible brand of ball for anyone to pay and see. So boring, and slow, but when you make your shot it works and you can't really hate on it. I was kinda shocked how thin their bench was, not that we can really talk, but at least we have Williamson coming back. We actually played really well on offense, super efficient, they just made three's while we made two's. Had multiple shots to send it to OT and failed to get the one extra point. Frustrating.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:17 am 

Credit to Missouri State, their offense works. A lot of the threes they hit were from deep, but they were open. They moved the ball until they got the shot they wanted and then executed well (sound familiar?). I don't think we were actually contesting shots that well to be honest. They looked comfortable shooting.

That being said, we played defense well enough to win this game. At any given moment we're playing three guys who are liabilities on offense. The turnovers from Kaifes and Custer in the lane were killer as both of them came off of them giving up open looks to headfake and drive. If you told me at the beginning of the year that we'd hold an opponent below 70 and Krutwig would score a career high and we'd lose I'd have laughed in your face.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:50 pm 

I do not agree with that quote from the Catch and Shoot article either. The way we are playing right now, Missouri State clearly is better. I can't believe that the article analyzes our performance and our prospects...... and fails to mention the missing Clayton Custer. Until Clay gets it back together (on offense and defense), MSU is not the only team in the MVC that is better than us....with or without Lucas.

It's this simple - we need the old Custer and his at 14 points, high percentage shooting and 4-5 assists per game.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next