It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Will Bryan Mullins Be Hired As SIU's Next Head Coach?
Poll ended at Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:25 pm
Yes 74%  74%  [ 17 ]
No 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
Cigarboy Sucks (For Old Times' Sake) 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 23
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:26 am 

natetheskate wrote:
01grad wrote:
Just thinking out loud here, but I do remember Mullins being quoted as saying he wanted to focus on the NIT. I know many times a lot of that is talk, and discussions still happen behind the scenes, but if there’s pressure to get this done ASAP, while one team is still trying to prepare for games, I could see one side not being too happy about it.

Things have been a little quiet on the SIU front....my guess is that it is a done deal....and waiting to make announcement after LU finishes NIT run to the Championship.

That would be the professional move to do. Wouldn’t really make sense to announce something while the team still should be focused on the NIT.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:18 pm 

01grad wrote:
I actually wouldn’t be shocked if #3 happened.

No.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:24 pm 

SisterJean’s#1Pupil wrote:
Barkeep,

Any truth to the rumor Barry Hinson might be running for office in Oklahoma? Some Missouri St people we talked to at Arch Madness said he’s been contacted to run for Governor.

I know that rumor has been spread, but I'm not sure about the accuracy. Running as a Democrat in a state where Obama failed to win a single county in '08 and '12 and Trump won every county in '16 doesn't seem plausible, but who knows. Hinson was the head coach at Oral Roberts before he got the job at SMS (Mo State).

If it happens, I suspect his eye is on a political appointment rather than an elected office. Running as a lame duck gets your name out in public and there's no doubt he can handle himself on camera.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:28 pm 

And before I forget, Barcreep hates me and blames me for the demise of the old website, SalukiNation. He's spread all kinds of crazy rumors about me, none of which are true.

Barcreep, to the best of my knowledge, isn't an alum and lives 170 miles from Carbondale. Not sure why his passion for Saluki athletics is so intense unless he has a family connection. But I will give him credit....he's got sources that know precisely what's going on (most of the time). :roll:

We'll be thrilled to have Mullins back in Carbondale.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:31 pm 

GoSIU8 wrote:
[Hinson] can handle himself on camera.

Not sure that's a political plus. Just ask Anthony Weiner.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:33 pm 

swellafelon wrote:
[quote="GoSIU8][Hinson] can handle himself on camera.[/quote]

Not sure that's a political plus. Just ask Anthony Weiner.[/quote]

Have you heard that Anthony Weiner is going to announce he's running for president with former AG Eric Holder as his running mate??

The Weiner-Holder ticket. :twisted:

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:43 pm 

JCT wrote:
Here's a question.... should Mullins want the job?

Consider the way Hinson was pushed out after finishing 4th, 3rd, 2nd, and 3rd in the league in his last four years. Last year, he was OT from getting to the Arch Madness final, and 2nd in league play to a team that went on to the Final Four. He was 10 games above .500 in conference play in the past 4 years, which is probably second to only Illinois State. And that got him fired and jeered out of the arena at his last game.

SIU has the 2nd lowest budget in the league, declining enrollment, budget deficits, frozen staff salaries, and some programs being moved to their branch in Edwardsville. They're in an area with declining population, declining or stagnant income, and it's 105 miles to the nearest town with more than 30,000 people. They're 18 miles from the closest Interstate ramp, and Veterans Airport of Southern Illinois (20 miles away in Marion) has commercial service to one city.... St. Louis, where you are able to transfer to reach other destinations.

There are a lot of "safer" first head coaching jobs that Mullins could take... in the OVC, in the Summit League, in the Horizon, etc. And almost all of the safer choices are also in more appealing places to live, with less intense scrutiny and more institutional support or latitude.

You need to visit Carbondale. The Shawnee National Forest, Shawnee Hills Wine Trail, local lakes are second to none. Three Amtraks coming and going each day. Sure, air travel is limited, but how's that drive from Rogers Park to O'Hare or Midway?

The Salukis made the NCAA 6 straight years (5 at-large bids), 2002-2007 book ended by two Sweet 16 appearances. SIU is a great school that the Chicago media likes to give a bad rap. The Tribune, in particular, has been nasty to SIU for more than 50 years.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:02 pm 

SisterJean’s#1Pupil wrote:
Barkeep,

Any truth to the rumor Barry Hinson might be running for office in Oklahoma? Some Missouri St people we talked to at Arch Madness said he’s been contacted to run for Governor.

Yes this is truth. We put that up several weeks ago. He was leaving after this year no matter what to go in to politics

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:12 pm 

GoSIU88 wrote:
JCT wrote:

Consider the way Hinson was pushed out after finishing 4th, 3rd, 2nd, and 3rd in the league in his last four years. Last year, he was OT from getting to the Arch Madness final, and 2nd in league play to a team that went on to the Final Four. He was 10 games above .500 in conference play in the past 4 years, which is probably second to only Illinois State. And that got him fired and jeered out of the arena at his last game.

SIU has the 2nd lowest budget in the league, declining enrollment, budget deficits, frozen staff salaries, and some programs being moved to their branch in Edwardsville. They're in an area with declining population, declining or stagnant income, and it's 105 miles to the nearest town with more than 30,000 people. They're 18 miles from the closest Interstate ramp, and Veterans Airport of Southern Illinois (20 miles away in Marion) has commercial service to one city.... St. Louis, where you are able to transfer to reach other destinations.

There are a lot of "safer" first head coaching jobs that Mullins could take... in the OVC, in the Summit League, in the Horizon, etc. And almost all of the safer choices are also in more appealing places to live, with less intense scrutiny and more institutional support or latitude.

You need to visit Carbondale. The Shawnee National Forest, Shawnee Hills Wine Trail, local lakes are second to none. Three Amtraks coming and going each day. Sure, air travel is limited, but how's that drive from Rogers Park to O'Hare or Midway?

The Salukis made the NCAA 6 straight years (5 at-large bids), 2002-2007 book ended by two Sweet 16 appearances. SIU is a great school that the Chicago media likes to give a bad rap. The Tribune, in particular, has been nasty to SIU for more than 50 years.

I’ll take the 45min drive to O’hare instead of flying out of Veteran’s Airport. SIU might have been good in the past but that doesn’t change the fact that it’s in an awful location. Don’t try and sell me on a few local lakes, it’s not going to work. It wasn’t just the tribune that has been nasty to SIU, I remember growing up with plenty Chicagoland locals that always seemed to label SIU as the party school that was extremely easy to get into and in the middle of nowhere.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:54 pm 

Blers42 wrote:
GoSIU88 wrote:
JCT wrote:

I’ll take the 45min drive to O’hare instead of flying out of Veteran’s Airport. SIU might have been good in the past but that doesn’t change the fact that it’s in an awful location. Don’t try and sell me on a few local lakes, it’s not going to work. It wasn’t just the tribune that has been nasty to SIU, I remember growing up with plenty Chicagoland locals that always seemed to label SIU as the party school that was extremely easy to get into and in the middle of nowhere.

Well, good luck with Porter Moser. No need for you to come to Carbondale.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next