It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Will Bryan Mullins Be Hired As SIU's Next Head Coach?
Poll ended at Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:25 pm
Yes 74%  74%  [ 17 ]
No 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
Cigarboy Sucks (For Old Times' Sake) 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 23
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:39 pm 

They're ready to announce as early as Monday, which is the day after Loyola and Kansas State find out where they're playing in the postseason? Is there a third candidate who's not going to be coaching for the next two weeks or more?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:55 pm 

It’s possible both Loyola and KSU could be done by the *end* of next week, so maybe he’s hoping for that.

If I were to throw out a long shot, darkhorse third candidate, I’ll say Kent Williams. Current high school head coach in St Louis, with experience as a D1 assistant, and another SIU hall of fame member. they would also likely be able to pay him a lot less than they would need to pay to get Mullins or Korn.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:38 pm 

We have seen college football coaches leave for new jobs between the end of the season and the bowl games.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:21 pm 

Buffalo is doing great this year. They should hire buffalo all star assistant coach Jim Whitesell.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:19 pm 

Here's a question.... should Mullins want the job?

Consider the way Hinson was pushed out after finishing 4th, 3rd, 2nd, and 3rd in the league in his last four years. Last year, he was OT from getting to the Arch Madness final, and 2nd in league play to a team that went on to the Final Four. He was 10 games above .500 in conference play in the past 4 years, which is probably second to only Illinois State. And that got him fired and jeered out of the arena at his last game.

SIU has the 2nd lowest budget in the league, declining enrollment, budget deficits, frozen staff salaries, and some programs being moved to their branch in Edwardsville. They're in an area with declining population, declining or stagnant income, and it's 105 miles to the nearest town with more than 30,000 people. They're 18 miles from the closest Interstate ramp, and Veterans Airport of Southern Illinois (20 miles away in Marion) has commercial service to one city.... St. Louis, where you are able to transfer to reach other destinations.

There are a lot of "safer" first head coaching jobs that Mullins could take... in the OVC, in the Summit League, in the Horizon, etc. And almost all of the safer choices are also in more appealing places to live, with less intense scrutiny and more institutional support or latitude.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:17 am 

I think it’s safe to say JCT will never be hired by the Carbondale Chamber of Commerce. My answer to your question is yes. Absolutely he should.

First off, let me defend the area a little, having lived there for 3 years, I’ll attest that the region is a pretty nice place to live. It’s not a big city by any means, but the Carbondale-Marion metro area has a combined population of around 120,000, so it’s not the Alaskan wilderness either...although the parks and lakes within an hour drive or so are amazing. “18 miles to the interstate” is basically going from one side of a city to the other (on a 4-6 lane highway), since Marion-Carterville-Carbondale is pretty much connected similar to a suburban area (with a big lake in between). It’s 90 minutes to St Louis, 2:30 to Nashville, 3 hours to Memphis...not a bad place to be.

The school is in a pretty rough spot right now financially, yes, but the support the area gives its basketball team is second to none for a mid major. And the facilities are as good as anyone has in the conference. They’re just starved for a winner (meaning NCAA tournament), and he of all people would know what it would be like if he brings that spirit back.

I’d hate to see him go, but it’d be an easy yes if I were him and the price was right. They lose a lot from this years team, so there are zero expectations to win right away. He would have some time to build from the ground up.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:28 am 

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:15 am 

As much as I love Mullins and hate to see him go, I think he deserves a shot at a head coaching job. That being said, for selfish and selfish reasons, I think SIU is a bad choice if he has one. If it’s offered to him and he wants to be a head coach, I think he should hold out for other possible gigs.

Selfishly, I don’t want him going against us on the court or for recruits. If porter would have left last year, he is who I would have wanted to take over. He’s a proven recruiter, his enthusiasm is great, and I think he’s a rising star.

Unselfishly, the situation at SIU seems bad. Aside from the University problems that others have noted, their fans seem terrible. they’ve been in the top half of the league for years, and they drove Hinson into the ground. Mullins is great but he’s not Jesus. The valley has some great coaches right now, and the league is as competitive as it has ever been. They aren’t going to see instant success. Of Mullins brings with him Porters philosophies (team defense and getting “the right guys”), the kind of success we had isn’t built overnight. Mullins has been there for almost the entire rebuild. If they are gonna become a contender under the Majaris/Moser principles, they are gonna have to give it 4-5 years. I don’t think they really want to give him that kind of time.

I personally think he would have a better shot at success at a school like Western Michigan, or UW-Milwaukee.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:51 am 

Ok the off my meds is pretty funny

The job is Bryan’s if he wants it.

Good luck in the NIT. You guys are my 2nd favorite MVC team

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:25 am 

The actions of the fans in St Louis against Hinson we way over the line and disgusting. And the group around their message board has been way over the top, quite frankly they seem to have way too high an opinion of themselves and whatever influence they think they have. Hinson seems by all known measures to be a great guy, and he deserved none of that.

That being said, I don’t think the belief that it was time to move on after this year was entirely unreasonable. This year was set up for success for the Salukis, with the most experienced roster in a down year for the conference. And their season ended up a relative dud. Keep in mind that this is a school who went to 5 or 6 consecutive NCAA Tournaments a little over ten years ago, and before the Lowery collapse they were a hotbed of great coaches for years. The expectations aren’t staying afloat and just over .500, but to get to the Tournament. Hinson just couldn’t get over that hump. If we want to be fair, some here were having the same feelings about Porter Moser prior to last year. You can argue whether it’s fair, but hindsight for us is 20/20.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next