It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:01 pm 

I know I am a broken record....and I recognize that he is one of the most important players in Rambler history....but Man - I have never seen a player regress as much in 1 year as Clayton did this year. Just an incredibly frustrating year for him. So many games where he simply had brutal stat lines. Including tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:04 pm 

Good season, it was never going to be good enough after last year. I’m proud of the team, too bad clay and Townes couldn’t end on a higher note but they already surpassed insane odds last yea and are forever legends. This season was rough but we still managed to finish on top in a mediocre valley during the regular season. For us not blending well and missing Lucas for majority of the season I’m not too upset. I look forward to the future, I think we have a lot of potential. Really depressed that I cant watch the blers until next season though haha.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:06 pm 

Sloth84 wrote:
I know I am a broken record....and I recognize that he is one of the most important players in Rambler history....but Man - I have never seen a player regress as much in 1 year as Clayton did this year. Just an incredibly frustrating year for him. So many games where he simply had brutal stat lines. Including tonight.

His stat line tonight wasn’t that bad. 3-8, 2-3 from deep, 3 rebounds, 4 assists.... yeah it wasn’t an ideal year for him. If you want to talk about regressing let’s bring up the MVC player of the year that fell apart when it mattered most. He completely collapsed the past two games,

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:11 pm 

Tough loss, but like you guys said, it was the same issues that crippled us all year. But you gotta love that game from Oogie!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:16 pm 

We definitely had chances. Maybe on a neutral court we win this one. I know gentile would have been sold out and electric if we’d hosted. Creighton is an okay team. We were an okay team. The home team won tonight.

Cannot dwell on the Custer season. It was a bummer we didn’t get to consistently see what we knew he was capable of, but he is a Rambler Legend. Remember - he didn’t have to come back this year at all, but he was commuted to this program, and we were lucky to get to see him play 30+ more games in a Loyola jersey. Best of luck to him! Same to Townes! He’s been every bit as fun to watch.

I’m calling it right now though. It seems like we lose a lot with Townes and Custer... but next years team is going to be better than this year. I predict they Win the valley regular season again and have a better overall record.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:22 pm 

What Uguak showed tonight will be in my mind all offseason--he showed he can be the third option next year and form a legit trio with Lucas and Krut.

Thank you to Clayton and Marques. Forever Loyola legends.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:26 pm 

I know it is a clique but was impressive how hard they played to the last second......It was great to see Creighton keep looking at the clock,,,like when are these guys going to quit and they didnt......For me all I can expect is good kids who play good basketball and play hard...after that i will suffer and celebrate with them.........Custers shot was flat most of the year .which is usually a sign of tired legs.....and after getting a chance to talk to him at Arch Madness....man he is just not that big of a guy...big heart , great leader.......and I think teams caught on to us as well...forced us to the hoop and the team with shot blockers made us pay.....Creighton had great spacing defensively and offensively.....and overall better and bigger talent.....it has been two exciting years....Two Championships and a Final Four.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:28 pm 

There were a lot of other responses while I was writing this, and they're all more appropriate. But I still feel like I have to voice a concern after what we saw tonight.... so here's what I wrote in anger in the last minute or two of the game... Maybe later people can share opinions on what I thought was a major weak point that led to this ending of the season.....

-------------

One thing I can't stand seeing at this point is being out-muscled, out-toughed, and not even getting any calls (like the Custer inbound near the end). I want our coach to warn the refs that we can play like sadistic bastards if that's how they're going to call the game, and I want us to be able to back up that claim when we need to.

I NEVER, EVER, EVER AGAIN want to see us getting beat up and pushed around like we saw this year. Multiple broken noses on Krutwig, and especially hard contact against his face when he was wearing the protective mask... Williamson's hand broken not once, but twice.... Hard pushes into the basket upright on breakaway fouls, over and over again... Very hard fouls in the paint on penetration to discourage drives....

And we never gave any payback. For the second year in a row, Loyola was in the bottom 10 nationally-- out of 353 Division I teams-- in fouls committed. In the past two seasons, nearly 70 games, only ONE Loyola player fouled out of any game.

Other teams are using that against us, and beating us up on "ordinary contact," beating the holy god-damned fuck out of us on "basketball plays" and applying extra hard force on any incidental contact whatsoever. They're also pressing hard on deliberate fouls (a few more and a lot harder). We have NO ENFORCEMENT against them on similar play. And if the refs are letting most things go...... forget it.

I am so angry from watching the last two games of this season. It feels like we got shoved into an alley, beaten up, and our car keys stolen. We played clean for two years, until people realized that we were always going to play clean, and then they started using it against us. "You can elbow Loyola in the back to get an offensive rebound. Give them a push two beats before they are going to get a pass. If the refs call it, do it softer or earlier. Do whatever you have to do get into their heads on offensive breakaways..... by the third one they'll be tentative or fearful...." That was a big part of our season, IMO, and probably led directly to 3-4 losses.

Time to start busting some jaws and cracking some ribs on "basketball plays." I'd really like to see a smart-ass opposing player laid out hard next year in an early game, just to put out some notice against teams that think they can beat us to a pulp with no penalty. I think we ought to have at least one player who comes into the game that everyone KNOWS is going to settle a score.

------------

That was what I wrote at the end of the game, still upset. I'm not proud of every word, but I think the issue should be addressed.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:30 pm 

Always sad when the season ends. We all look forward to it so much. This year is especially hard as we lose two high character student-athletes in Clay and Marcus.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:35 pm 

ramblermgr9599 wrote:
Always sad when the season ends. We all look forward to it so much. This year is especially hard as we lose two high character student-athletes in Clay and Marcus.

Maybe if someone on our team broke an opposing player in half who fouled our guy hard on a breakaway layup, they might have had more juice at the end of the year. I felt like all of them were targets for mugging all year.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next