It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:37 pm 

JCT wrote:
There were a lot of other responses while I was writing this, and they're all more appropriate. But I still feel like I have to voice a concern after what we saw tonight.... so here's what I wrote in anger in the last minute or two of the game... Maybe later people can share opinions on what I thought was a major weak point that led to this ending of the season.....

-------------

One thing I can't stand seeing at this point is being out-muscled, out-toughed, and not even getting any calls (like the Custer inbound near the end). I want our coach to warn the refs that we can play like sadistic bastards if that's how they're going to call the game, and I want us to be able to back up that claim when we need to.

I NEVER, EVER, EVER AGAIN want to see us getting beat up and pushed around like we saw this year. Multiple broken noses on Krutwig, and especially hard contact against his face when he was wearing the protective mask... Williamson's hand broken not once, but twice.... Hard pushes into the basket upright on breakaway fouls, over and over again... Very hard fouls in the paint on penetration to discourage drives....

And we never gave any payback. For the second year in a row, Loyola was in the bottom 10 nationally-- out of 353 Division I teams-- in fouls committed. In the past two seasons, nearly 70 games, only ONE Loyola player fouled out of any game.

Other teams are using that against us, and beating us up on "ordinary contact," beating the holy god-damned fuck out of us on "basketball plays" and applying extra hard force on any incidental contact whatsoever. They're also pressing hard on deliberate fouls (a few more and a lot harder). We have NO ENFORCEMENT against them on similar play. And if the refs are letting most things go...... forget it.

I am so angry from watching the last two games of this season. It feels like we got shoved into an alley, beaten up, and our car keys stolen. We played clean for two years, until people realized that we were always going to play clean, and then they started using it against us. "You can elbow Loyola in the back to get an offensive rebound. Give them a push two beats before they are going to get a pass. If the refs call it, do it softer or earlier. Do whatever you have to do get into their heads on offensive breakaways..... by the third one they'll be tentative or fearful...." That was a big part of our season, IMO, and probably led directly to 3-4 losses.

Time to start busting some jaws and cracking some ribs on "basketball plays." I'd really like to see a smart-ass opposing player laid out hard next year in an early game, just to put out some notice against teams that think they can beat us to a pulp with no penalty. I think we ought to have at least one player who comes into the game that everyone KNOWS is going to settle a score.

------------

That was what I wrote at the end of the game, still upset. I'm not proud of every word, but I think the issue should be addressed.

I’m not quite as emotional abuot the topic, but I still agree with you. At the same time though I respect that we don’t have dirty players. We don’t need that to win our games. Do we need to be aggressive? Yes. There’s a difference, just because other teams get away with it doesn’t mean we need to stoop to their level. This is not the reason why we lost plenty of our games this season. Inexperience, a lack of outside shooters, pressure, expectations, low confidence, and a target on our backs is why we lost.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:58 pm 

You are right, Blers42. There is a balance. And no one who's decent WANTS to be the dirty team. But I thought that balance was way off this year, and we got used, hurt, and pushed around. Part of what made 2017-18 so fantastic was that it was accomplished with a level of class, cleanliness, and academic achievement that has to be close to unparalleled. Not a single player fouled out all last year, we had the highest graduation rate in the country, we were from a mid-major conference, and we made the Final Four.

What I'm saying is that some opposing teams saw that set of accomplishments as being "soft." They pushed hard on the vulnerability that we wouldn't foul, they got really physical against us, and a lot of times they won. Let's not let that happen again.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:26 pm 

I just wished in games like this we’d force refs to adjust how they’re calling it. I don’t think it needs to be dirty but just force the issue to get calls in the paint going both ways.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:58 pm 

Man I do not know why but the 2nd half of the season was extremely physical and this is after they were supposedly cleaning the game up....and the last two in which very little was called on drives to the hoop really put us at a disadvantage.....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:00 am 

This game sums up the season.

We had a target on our back all year. Everyone wanted to punch us in the face. No one took us lightly.

We did not have any balance on offense. Passes were not crisp. Sometimes it looked like we were counting passes before a shot was taken. We passed on open shots and did not hit open shots. We were not confident or aggressive around the hoop. We rarely passed on open shots last year. It did not matter whether three players touched the ball or one. If the shot was open, we took it. There were times when Creighton was only guarding three players.

We did not get much respect from the referees. We would drive the basket and get hit but not get the foul. Krut's broken nose and Williamson's broken hand reflect how our games were called. Custer and Townes were repeatedly hit. It was not pretty.

Not all of the struggles for Townes and Custer were self-inflicted. They have a set of skills that were unique to our system. We should not expect them to excel when the surrounding cast can't repeat what Richardson, Jackson and Ingram did last year.

Our defense was strong and kept us in games. I think it may be stronger next year.

It is windy on the top of the mountain. I like it. I hope we can stay here.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:51 am 

I NEVER, EVER, EVER AGAIN want to see us getting beat up and pushed around like we saw this year. Multiple broken noses on Krutwig, and especially hard contact against his face when he was wearing the protective mask... Williamson's hand broken not once, but twice.... Hard pushes into the basket upright on breakaway fouls, over and over again... Very hard fouls in the paint on penetration to discourage drives....

And we never gave any payback. For the second year in a row, Loyola was in the bottom 10 nationally-- out of 353 Division I teams-- in fouls committed. In the past two seasons, nearly 70 games, only ONE Loyola player fouled out of any game.

Other teams are using that against us, and beating us up on "ordinary contact," beating the holy god-damned fuck out of us on "basketball plays" and applying extra hard force on any incidental contact whatsoever. They're also pressing hard on deliberate fouls (a few more and a lot harder). We have NO ENFORCEMENT against them on similar play. And if the refs are letting most things go...... forget it.

I am so angry from watching the last two games of this season. It feels like we got shoved into an alley, beaten up, and our car keys stolen. We played clean for two years, until people realized that we were always going to play clean, and then they started using it against us. "You can elbow Loyola in the back to get an offensive rebound. Give them a push two beats before they are going to get a pass. If the refs call it, do it softer or earlier. Do whatever you have to do get into their heads on offensive breakaways..... by the third one they'll be tentative or fearful...." That was a big part of our season, IMO, and probably led directly to 3-4 losses.

Time to start busting some jaws and cracking some ribs on "basketball plays." I'd really like to see a smart-ass opposing player laid out hard next year in an early game, just to put out some notice against teams that think they can beat us to a pulp with no penalty. I think we ought to have at least one player who comes into the game that everyone KNOWS is going to settle a score.

I LOVE IT!!! so true, I'm surprised you feel like this, lolololol
I told Aher to toughen up!!!
Big Frank can be that tough player, he definitely have the look and framework.
When I played in college and the refs didn't blow their whistles for us on an obvious bad call. We made the other team pay!! We made up our own play called SWAC time(conference name) meant; it's on and popping time ;)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:52 am 

JCT wrote:

I LOVE IT!!! so true, I'm surprised you feel like this, lolololol
I told Aher to toughen up!!!
Big Frank can be that tough player, he definitely have the look and framework.
When I played in college and the refs didn't blow their whistles for us on an obvious bad call. We made the other team pay!! We made up our own play called SWAC time(conference name) meant; it's on and popping time ;)

Last edited by #PROUDMOM on Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:53 am 

I think guys like Lucas and Big Frank can be our enforcers next year. They seem like the type to get physical. Marquise is a TOUGH kid too.