It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:06 pm 

Edit: Also according to wikipedia St. John's has the 6th most number of wins in div 1 history and they play games in Madison Square Garden. It's a shitty gig for a lot of other reasons but let's not pretend they don't have a history.

I have changed my mind. Upon further review, it is better job than I thought and arguably the best job in the Big East. It's in NYC. MSG. Fertile recruiting grounds. It pays well. It has a strong history and despite several coaching changes over the last 20 years, they still have been relevant and in the tournament. Villanova is currently the best job, but that is because Jay Wright made it the best. The other teams have some history, but this could easily be the best job in the Big East.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:15 pm 

Granted they could still fire him after 3/4, but maybe they really are serious about committing to him.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:41 pm 

bmh_twosix wrote:
Granted they could still fire him after 3/4, but maybe they really are serious about committing to him.

More potential info on the offer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:08 pm 

Teddy Greenstein on why Porter should say "no", echoes a lot of what we have mentioned on here: https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/c ... story.html

Although Loyola signed an extension last year, they should up his salary to the $1.5 range. Easier said than done, I know. But if we want sustained success, we need to show we are serious.

At the same time, if Porter is going to be doing this song and dance every offseason...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:28 pm 

Maybe we shouldn't feel so bad if he takes the St. John's job... because if he's interested in the Saint John's job and everyone knows that now... I'm assuming he'd be interested in the DePaul job too if/when it becomes available (It's basically the Saint John's job in a city that he loves, with recruiting ties he already has). If he stays, I would say there's a 99% chance we are all feeling the way we're feeling now this time next year when DePaul fires Leitao… If he's "wavering" on the Saint John's job, I have a feeling be all-in for DePaul if given the opportunity... based on what we know now.

That being said.. Still love Porter... Still want to see him come back... Still holding my breath...

But if he takes it... maybe that's good that we'll see him move on and won't have to have him in our backyard reminding us of what could have been every day...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:31 pm 

bmh_twosix wrote:
bmh_twosix wrote:

More potential info on the offer

If Loyola gets to $1.5M will it be enough?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:39 pm 

Ugh... Wish we knew if Loyola was trying to cobble something together to entice him to stay... I cringe a little every time I hit the refresh button on this "Running from Happiness" thread...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:49 pm 

Lets assume Porter takes the job and it is time to move on. It is a normal part of the coaching ranks to do this.
The timing of course is awful as had Mullins known Porter would leave, he would have stayed and gotten the job.
As it is, we still have a decent core.

Krutwig Is he really willing to sit out a year?
Williamson: having missed so much time this year would he want to sit out a year?
Uguak and Hall have already sat out a year so I doubt they would give up another year.
Negron: ditto for him but he also finally would get a chance to play where he should play position wise.
Skokna is a senior so he stays.
Kaifes would have to see that he will get a lot of opportunity at the off guard, so that gives us 7.
Maybe Budjuso would return as he would see the opportunity.

We need help at guard mostly but lets assume also the two JUCO recruits do not sign and that all three incoming freshman opt out
Recruit a couple of juco guards still looking and a grad transfer or two and we are a 6th place team in the conference.
A rebuild sure but not a total disaster.

I have heard enough of this topic so lets hope it gets settled in the next day or so, so we all can get back to "normal".
That and the Notre Dame tragedy have taken a lot of my time. I had ready to move on and assume Porter grabs the $2mil and 8 years.
So good luck to Porter if he goes. I will forever grateful for what he did for the program. I also wish him success.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:07 pm 

Looking like he's staying!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:10 pm 

RamblinTank22 wrote:
Looking like he's staying!!

This thread is too much, man.

I knew he wouldn't betray us during Holy Week.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next