It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:46 pm 

More rumors:

https://twitter.com/kbohls/status/1106915614558429184

https://twitter.com/PhillyBeach93/statu ... 4788884480

I think both schools have the money and conference prestige that would cause him to leave. A&M is probably going to land Buzz Williams though, but if Beard leaves Texas Tech, maybe that job might be a fit for Porter too? LSU scares me because it's a matter of time before they fire Will Wade (late April?). Also, it's indicative of how much Porter's good guy reputation will be in demand given all the FBI stuff. If LSU hires Porter, it's a home run for their program. They won't win right away because of a heap of NCAA sanctions that will hit them (or depending on their patience maybe ever in his tenure), but he'll get them moving back in the right direction, doing it the right way.

UNLV does not scare me. It's a fairly lateral move in a 2-3 bid conference at best and they might not even be able to top our salary for him. Their boosters/fans want Slick Rick or Thad Matta and are willing to pay up to $3 million a year to get either of them. Porter would leave for $3 million a year (that's just too rich for us), but those boosters won't shell out $3 million for Porter after lobbying for and failing to land Pitino or Matta.

As awkward as it will be to have to completely start over from the Moser tenure, he has elevated the stature of the job to the point where we will be able to land a very quality coach without having to break the bank to convince one (think of how much of a mess DePaul and Oliver Purnell were). Loyola was always looked at by coaches as a place with potential, but now that we've climbed the mountaintop and given the returning talent we have with Krutwig, Williamson, and hopefully the freshmen class that we can get on campus ASAP, people will be able to really envision what can be done here. That will not leave us lacking for suitors.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:02 pm 

If I were an up and coming coach, I wouldn’t go near LSU. It’s a school already low in the pecking order in the SEC, about to likely be hit by the NCAA. It’s not a Kentucky or Louisville type school that can bounce right back from that type of hole simply because of its name.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:56 pm 

For what it's worth (probably nothing), in Porter's congratulatory tweet to Mullins, he said "All the best (except for 2 games)!"....implying he will be around and coaching against Mullins next year.

Again, I know it is just a tweet, but figure it is worth mentioning.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:08 pm 

The Twitters also say he will be on Mully & Haugh tomorrow at 8am

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:30 am 

While I think it would be stupid for Porter not to at least entertain any possible opportunities, I don't think that LSU or A&M would be something he would really consider, unless they were willing to offer him a substantial amount of guaranteed money (and even then, I don't know that it would be enough to persuade him.)

LSU is going to be a monster problem. They are definitely going to get hit with sanctions. Going there would be like waiting for the dumpster fire to be put out, and then being told to hop in, get to work on making it a luxurous tiny house. The conference is competitive as hell, LSU is not a basketball school as much as a football school, and Porter has little to no connections to the area and regional recruiting pool.

A&M -- Same problems with the conference and it being a football prioritized school. He's got former ties and experience there which is a plus though. I think this would be a much better job than LSU if he was looking to make a move, but i still thinks he loves Chicago and the Midwest to uproot and start over there.

Jobs I would worry about Porter having serious interest in if they came available would be Notre Dame, Michigan, and Michigan State. DePaul would make me nervous, but I don't think he would get along to well with their AD, who appears to be completely incompetent. Maybe if she left?

An intriguing job that's probably going to open up would be Nebraska.... That would be a Big 10 job, but it looks like they are making a hard run and Fred Hoiberg.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:46 am 

I think he has to do go to the tournament at least 2-3 more times before really big schools start seriously considering him. The one school that does scare me is Creighton; he's an alum, and I could see next season being make or break for McDermott....

There's a good amount of mid major coaches out there making noise. Buffalo's coach Nate Oates just signed an extension but bigger schools will look at him, Mike Young from Wofford, Bob Richey at Furman, I doubt Ford is at MSU long... Overall is was a pretty strong year for mid majors outside the valley.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:02 am 

Reading all of the previous pot stirring, w/o anything factual....
If PM were to leave, then all of the belief in culture, loyalty, coaching the right kind of student athletes, promises likely made to current athletes and incoming recruits, (which are extremely promising), would be bogus. I cannot believe that PM is that kind of guy. Chicago is THE PLACE and has the media market to develop a real PROGRAM which would have a ton more lifetime value to PM and his family going forward. He has said the same and until further notice that's what I think too. Maybe I am just too simple minded but thats the way I feel about PM and the program. Until proven otherwise ....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:27 am 

Ramblerguy wrote:
If PM were to leave, then all of the belief in culture, loyalty, coaching the right kind of student athletes, promises likely made to current athletes and incoming recruits, (which are extremely promising), would be bogus. I cannot believe that PM is that kind of guy. Chicago is THE PLACE and has the media market to develop a real PROGRAM which would have a ton more lifetime value to PM and his family going forward. He has said the same and until further notice that's what I think too. Maybe I am just too simple minded but thats the way I feel about PM and the program. Until proven otherwise ....

While all that is true, and I don’t believe he is leaving this year, if a blue blood or other huge budget school comes along down the road and offers him millions more than we ever could, I’m not going to dog him for making that decision.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:08 pm 

Ramblerguy wrote:

I agree with everything you said. I honestly don’t even know why this thread was made, all of the speculation has been from garbage sources and was a waste of time to even look at.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:25 pm 

Blers42 wrote:
I honestly don’t even know why this thread was made, all of the speculation has been from garbage sources and was a waste of time to even look at.

And yet you continue to look at it.

Care to explain your seemingly irrational behavior?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next