It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 7:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 24  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:11 pm 

:D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:26 pm 

This is the time of the year when coaches get fired and others get hired. The real crunch time comes at the Final Four where all the schools show up. Lots of job changes there. That is where Grace hired Porter.
It is likely that Porter attracted some attention with the Final Four run, the second MVC title. Now he is doing commentary on the CBS post game show.
He would be foolish not to field inquiries and may be kick tires. It is ultimately about dollars, security and fit. He knows that and knows what a dream job would be.
He has rejuvenated a moribund program and so that adds to the allure.
I think in part Mullins left because he thought in part Porter was staying. And all signs point to that.
But as Loyola's program continues to be successful, the attention will escalate and someday as they say in the GodFather Part One, someone will make him an offer he can't refuse. Not this year but maybe in two/three years. Then he can pick his plum job.
And he deserves it. There is no betrayal nor deceit. Loyola has put its best foot forward. He has done something few could have done. Good organizations develop succession and contingency plans. How unique it would be for a coach to go out the door on a positive note? When is the last time, Loyola did not show the men's bball coach the door. This is a challenge to celebrate, not cry about.
What Loyola needs to do is prepare for that day.
And this is where the pick to replace Mullins needs to be well thought through. I also do not think that Porter would leave the program high and dry. He has integrity. He believes what he says and he also walks the walk.
One of the problems associated with a coach leaving is, I believe, is that recruits can open up there recruiting process. I believe the MVC has a rule that a recruit cannot go to another MVC school. (I may be wrong) but that is a limited field of schools. The vultures would surely descend.
This year that would devastate the program and also throw the entire coaching staff into turmoil. (what would be left of it).
So lets assume Porter is staying and lets have confidence that while there is smoke and maybe a lot of it, there will be no fire.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:41 pm 

25yearstreak wrote:
This is the time of the year when coaches get fired and others get hired. The real crunch time comes at the Final Four where all the schools show up. Lots of job changes there. That is where Grace hired Porter.
It is likely that Porter attracted some attention with the Final Four run, the second MVC title. Now he is doing commentary on the CBS post game show.
He would be foolish not to field inquiries and may be kick tires. It is ultimately about dollars, security and fit. He knows that and knows what a dream job would be.
He has rejuvenated a moribund program and so that adds to the allure.
I think in part Mullins left because he thought in part Porter was staying. And all signs point to that.
But as Loyola's program continues to be successful, the attention will escalate and someday as they say in the GodFather Part One, someone will make him an offer he can't refuse. Not this year but maybe in two/three years. Then he can pick his plum job.
And he deserves it. There is no betrayal nor deceit. Loyola has put its best foot forward. He has done something few could have done. Good organizations develop succession and contingency plans. How unique it would be for a coach to go out the door on a positive note? When is the last time, Loyola did not show the men's bball coach the door. This is a challenge to celebrate, not cry about.
What Loyola needs to do is prepare for that day.
And this is where the pick to replace Mullins needs to be well thought through. I also do not think that Porter would leave the program high and dry. He has integrity. He believes what he says and he also walks the walk.
One of the problems associated with a coach leaving is, I believe, is that recruits can open up there recruiting process. I believe the MVC has a rule that a recruit cannot go to another MVC school. (I may be wrong) but that is a limited field of schools. The vultures would surely descend.
This year that would devastate the program and also throw the entire coaching staff into turmoil. (what would be left of it).
So lets assume Porter is staying and lets have confidence that while there is smoke and maybe a lot of it, there will be no fire.

I believe if he was going to leave it would have happened immediately after the run last year, with only the final four run fresh in everyone’s minds. Now I’m thinking the only chance of him leaving is if he gets a dream offer that he can’t refuse. I don’t see that happening unless he has continued success for at least 1-2 more seasons. As you were saying Porter speaks about loyalty, integrity, culture etc. I dont view him as the kind of person to leave the school in a bad manner, otherwise he would just be a walking hypocrite.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:51 pm 

With the exception of the "simple minded" comment, I agree with Ramblerguy.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:04 pm 

JC64 wrote:
With the exception of the "simple minded" comment, I agree with Ramblerguy.

Funny...That was the only thing I agreed with.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:17 pm 

Truth be told I ended up with "simple minded" in my post because I was too unsure about the spelling on "naive". Seems my LUC education drew a blank on it and I didn't feel like putting in the effort to google it. Your comment begged for clarification!
Since I'm here tho, am I the only one that finds the moderator on PM's half time panel to be terribly annoying....? Both voice and presentation.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:46 pm 

Funny story R-Guy!

You join a distinguished group of Ramblermania bad spellers including Classless, Cigarboy and the unchallenged champion (or as he would have put it: "unchalenjed champen") Greybee.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:29 am 

FWIW:

Interesting article from Las Vegas Sun about Moser and the UNLV job. Concludes Porter not a likely hire. But sheds some light on how his resume looks to an outsider.

https://m.lasvegassun.com/news/2019/mar ... r-moser-r/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:58 am 

Can't sleep so I am busy hatching conspiracy theories in my head. If you thought this thread was pot stirring garbage already, just wait until you see the depths I'm capable of sinking to with the theory that popped into my head.
Here goes.

I was wondering why UNLV might be interested in Moser since it didn't seem like a natural fit. Moser is a Mr. Clean Boy Scout Culture is King kind of guy not noted for fast program turnarounds, while UNLV still has the Tarkanian legacy of playing fast and loose with the rules and more interested in instant gratification than culture-building.

Then I read the Vegas Sun article and found out that UNLV's Athletic Director is a woman around Grace Calhoun's age. It all suddenly became clear to me.
Undoubtedly Calhoun and UNLV AD Desiree Reed-Francois are well acquainted with each other through their membership in The National Association of Collegiate Women Athletics Administrators (NACWAA) (Or as I like to call it the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pantsuits or the Hen House of Horrors).
One of two things happened: Either Reed-Francois called Calhoun for advise, or Calhoun, unsolicited, called Reed-Francois to suggest Porter's name.
Maybe Calhoun did so for purely altruistic reasons, because she wanted to help a fellow female athletic director while also advancing Porter's career....Or maybe she did it just to screw with Loyola.
Of course I know there's the third option that maybe she didn't do anything at all and this is just a figment of my imagination brought on by sleep deprivation.
I prefer option #2 myself.

Goodnight. I just hope I don't have my recurring nightmare.....Oh, no, please make it stop!!!!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:27 am 

What are you trying to do ?? One picture of Grace is enough???? IS your over saturation of Grace on the brain the cause of your insomnia?
However the article was interesting and brings up some interesting points related both to is Porter going? (answer is no) and who should his new assistant coach be.
His resume is not yet good enough for him to get a P5 job.....not that he may not be that good of a coach...but right now the Final Four run is like having hit the 7-10 split just once and have left the 7-10 way too often. At Little Rock I think he was successful because his talent was competitive with the other talent in the Conference and he was the better coach....I hear different stuff about ISU...but everyone says that if he had one more year he would have been successful as the 3 seasons after he left ISU won with his guys. Then LU.....this excludes his assistant years at TexasA-M and St. Louis.And I think he is happy at LU. I think what his resume shows is if he gets time to get his guys to play his game he will improve a program. I think his resume gives you a glimpse of who he is.....he wins with defense....the defense sparks the offense...His defensive stats are almost always better than his offensive stats. So does he hire a guy to help build his strength,,,defense or does he hire a guy who can bring a new offensive perspective ? Or neither? and bring a guy who can recruit? My money goes on a guy who can help recruit...The key for LU to stay consistently good is getting players who also happen to be students. I thought this year at least 3 or 4 teams in the league had better athletes/players than us overall...(Which on a side not makes me think this year was a bigger accomplishment than last.) and PM is a hands on coach anyway.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 24  Next