It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 2:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 24  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:39 pm 

Jordan never won an NCAA Championship. Ireland did.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:45 pm 

JC64 wrote:
Jordan never won an NCAA Championship. Ireland did.

But Ireland ended his career here, after a few down years at the end of his tenure. Same for Jerry Lyne and Gene Sullivan. We've never seen a coach actually build something special enough here to get even a look from a bigger school.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:01 pm 

lusuperfan wrote:
Just to put this all in perspective, this got me thinking about how this is still a great position for Loyola to be in. Does anybody remember the last time a Loyola head basketball coach leave for a bigger coaching job?

The answer is John Jordan, who in 1951 left LU for Notre Dame. His replacement: George Ireland.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:12 pm 

lusuperfan wrote:
Just to put this all in perspective, this got me thinking about how this is still a great position for Loyola to be in. Does anybody remember the last time a Loyola head basketball coach leave for a bigger coaching job?

The answer is John Jordan, who in 1951 left LU for Notre Dame. His replacement: George Ireland.

The weird thing about Jordan was he was only at Loyola for one season. I think Notre Dame was his alma mater if I recall correctly, and when the job opened he bolted.

Jordan replaced Thomas Haggerty, who left Loyola-Chicago for Loyola New Orleans if I remember right. Haggerty had just gone to the NIT Final and lost by one point in 1949 after rebuilding the program after a total haitus during the last two/three years of World War II (DePaul kept playing during the war and won the NIT in 1944).

In my opinion, Loyola's greatest coach was Lenny Sachs, who came up with offensive and defensive schemes that were so innovative that they had to put in new rules to combat them. Sachs had a 33-game wining streak spanning three seasons, a trip to the NIT Final, and several All Americans he developed. Plus, he was a volunteer coach for football programs at predominantly African American high schools. He was the first person to score a point for the NFL's franchise that is now the Arizona Cardinals, and he got a master's degree while a coach at Loyola. He was inducted into the National Basketball Hall of Fame posthumously in 1961.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:20 am 

JCT wrote:
Lenny Sachs...came up with offensive and defensive schemes that were so innovative that they had to put in new rules to combat them.

Very interesting. Could you elaborate?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:40 am 

swellafelon wrote:
JCT wrote:
Lenny Sachs...came up with offensive and defensive schemes that were so innovative that they had to put in new rules to combat them.

Very interesting. Could you elaborate?

I know that he used to run a 2-2-1 zone defense in the 1930s. The 1 would essentially block whatever shot came near him causing an unfair advantage to the defense. So in 1937 they made up and adopted the goaltending rule. It's something that we take for granted as today. I never knew why that rule existed or thought twice about how it became a thing until I read about Lenny Sachs and Ramblers Basketball History.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:45 am 

Can you imagine Tacko Fall playing defense with no goaltending rule?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:28 pm 

Just my two cents on open coaching jobs...

I think he'll turn down Nebraska if they offer him. Not enough money or prestige there.
California might be intriguing.
UCLA probably isn't looking at him.
Vanderbilt is a mess. Their AD ran the G-League. Maybe an NBA guy gets hired there, although they are apparently looking hard at JT III
LSU scares me because they also have plenty of money and an underrated basketball tradition. Thinking Pistol Pete Maravich, Shaq, and Ben Simmons.
Hopefully Texas A&M lands Buzz Williams, because I think they're more of a threat than Virginia Tech.
Arkansas is also interesting. Porter is probably a solid Plan B, but they're going to key in on Kelvin Sampson at Houston.

Then you get into the domino effect jobs (Houston, Texas Tech, Texas, Arizona, etc.) where their current coach leaves and opens up a new opportunity, but that'll be for another day.

Porter leaving isn't ideal, but I won't begrudge the man for taking a big, and certainly well deserved, contract. His new school will probably become my second favorite team.*

*Unless he leaves us for DePaul or Northwestern. Then I'll hope we can squeeze a series out of them so I can heckle the $%&*! out of him and his jacket tossing. 8-) :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:19 pm 

Porter interviewing for Virginia Tech job?

A Little Birdie tipped me to these two Twitter threads which discuss a flight this morning from Waukegan Airport into Roanoke Virginia, with some speculating Porter was aboard.
That's all I know.
https://mobile.twitter.com/therealdcunn ... 5025672193

https://mobile.twitter.com/hokiehack/st ... 8268054529

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:42 pm 

Hm, if he was flying private from the Waukegan Airport, it’d be odd that they wouldn’t fly directly to the executive airport in blacksburg. Unless they’re trying to sell the bright lights of Roanoke.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 24  Next