It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 24  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:32 am 

440Rambler wrote:
This will probably be an unpopular opinion but when this happens for me, Porter will be persona non grata. In a vacuum I cant begrudge the man for furthering his career, but its hard to reconcile the way it would leave the program with his comments in the past. The entire thing comes off as very Bruce Pearly- to me & until these last 48 hours I did not think Porter was cut from that cloth. However, it will be hard to refute that he is exactly the same type of self promoter, say whatever needs to be said in order to advance his position type of guy. I'll always be excited to see the guys return to celebrate these last two seasons but Porter would not be welcomed back if I were in charge. All of that "don't run from happiness" talk now seems fabricated image booster that it clearly was the whole time.

I'm sure some will think I am being too harsh but think of how he will leave the program that he supposedly cares so much about...signing day is literally tomorrow and we will lose the entirety of our recruiting class. We have already lost two of our internal coaches who could have helped keep continuity. We will be making a hire well after most of the other musical chairs have already landed, leaving us with a limited candidate pool and limiting the replacements ability to recruit because again SIGNING DAY IS TOMORROW. On top of that given how lenient the NCAA has been with hardship waivers its hard to see how Lucas, Cam, Cooper, Christian and Frank don't all at least see what other options for them are out there. We have been making fun of Valpo in another thread but we are starring down at a similar reality thanks to Porter.

This whole thing will likely take us back to square one. I am hopeful that Watson can get it up and running again, but its very very disappointing that Porter chose the nuclear option as opposed to being valuing what he built here, living his words and executing a transition plan.

For the most part I actually agree with everything you said. Except I’m not going to feel like that until he actually accepts the St. John’s position. Taking an interview is expected, why wouldn’t you at least hear what the offer is. If he ever wants offers in the future being respectful and going makes sense. No way in hell LU would reject him after this, losing him sends us back very far.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:36 am 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:38 am 

Porter is a hot now as he may ever be. The chance of an "at large" is very small and the "auto" bid depends on winning the conference tournament in the Valley. To get a Big East job at a Catholic school in a major city would seem to me very hard to turn down. It is a multi-bid league.

I just hope as part of the buyout, a home and home with St. John's is in the works. Start it in NY in 2020-21 and at Gentile in 2021-22.

Hearing that he is working on finding top NY assistants is a sign this may be a done deal. Of course specifics have to be worked out.

Loyola may not be too unhappy. They get a buyout and basically will not have to pay for the first year or two of the new HC salary on top of saving 1.1 million on Porter.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:44 am 

Is this a done deal like everybody seems to assume, or is there a chance Porter turns it down like he did the Vegas job?
Maybe Watson could match St. John's offer...

But assuming Porter is gone, one of the worst hit collateral victims (and I mean this sincerely) has got to be Porter's Jacket. I mean the Jacket has been a tireless promoter of Rambler basketball with his trademark optimism and enthusiasm, and has built his Twitter account over the last few years to become a go-to site for Rambler fans.
With Porter gone, Porter's Jacket either disappears, or else completely retools with an entirely new angle.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:48 am 

Friendly reminder that getting an offer doesn't mean you have to take it. Porter was apparently offered the UNLV job and turned it down. Granted, I'm more worried about this one as well, but I'm sure he's still considering staying or else it would be a done deal right now.

If he leaves, remember that this job looks a lot better than it did 3 years ago. A coach knows you can win here and has a commitment from the school to invest in athletics. The right hire could keep the train going. Creighton went from Dana Altman to McDermott. Wichita State had Marshall after Mark Turgeon left. The schools we strive to be in the Valley made good if not better hires after a coach left for "bigger and better" jobs and conferences. Looking at Steve Watson's past I think he'd make a good choice. His other Loyola hires have been pretty good! I think Kate Achter on the women's side is really building something. Plus he made 1 hire at St. Bonaventure for basketball, Mark Schmidt, who is still coaching there and has built a pretty good program for such a small school.

No matter what happens, I think we'll be fine.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:50 am 

Long term I think we will be fine too. But a lot of us have spent considerable time talking about how exciting 2020 will be on the board this year. If Porter leaves that dream dies, which is a huge bummer.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:52 am 

Leave it to Ramblermgr to find a scheduling angle in Porter leaving.
I don't think obsessed is too strong a word. I mean he posted about next year's schedule the day after our NIT loss (if memory serves).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:55 am 

Swella,
Day after??? No way. It was minutes after! Also what about the new court design? Ha!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:00 am 

One off the board. Steve Alford took the Nevada job. 10 year contract.

As far as Porter goes, I would not begrudge him if he left. I watched the CBS special, Holy Loyola, and you cant help but love it. The impact of his Final Four run can not be measured.

He needs to do what he thinks is best. It is part of the coaching world. With that said, St Johns is a good, but not great gig. They have burned through higher profile, more established coaches.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:15 am 

at this point if he does not take the job....I would let him go....Going in this deep makes it clear that LU is not his dream and final destination. At this point he has decreased his recruiting power at LU.....and as far as I am concerned lost some of his mojo with fans.....he played on emotion, happiness, loyalty,,,now it all looks like bs,,,,,I had hoped this was the last good story in sports.....but now I am thinking that all sports college and pros and high school to soon follow,,,have jumped the shark.....
As for Steve Watson....you know he is in demand....and why would he want to stay for another major rebuild....
If he comes back how do you root for the guy......it would take a major mea culpa...and some real fancy footwork to get me back

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 24  Next