It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 24  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:49 am 

https://nypost.com/2019/04/15/st-johns-coaching-search-porter-moser-lands-surprise-offer/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:56 am 

Maybe he’s just coming back to wish Steve Watson happy birthday...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:02 am 

If someone comes and offers me double or triple what I’m making to do the same job, my ears are open no matter how much I love where I’m at.

1. They certainly have the right to take the money and run....but I do not have to see it as business as usual....What would have been honest is if we can find a quote that said " I do not think Loyola is the job I really want and I will be leaving as soon as I find a job I like better"..Not feed me happiness, loyalty ,community and culture crap. Just be honest....
2. I think recruiting will be weakened because he has shown his hand.....and it says I am willing to leave......creating uncertainty in the minds of future recruits on whether he will stay or not.
3. This is not just true of Porter ,,I agree it is rampant and accepted behavior throughout college sports.....just does not mean I have to like it...I dont.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:23 am 

Porter is a high character person. He will not accept an offer publically without first meeting with his team. My guess is he is going back to Chicago to meet with the team to inform them of his decision. Just a guess, but no way does he accept and announce it without telling his guys first.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:29 am 

Yes this whole situation screams high character

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:49 am 

Quote:
The St. John’s coaching search remains in flux as Loyola Chicago coach Porter Moser wavers on taking the job, multiple sources told ZAGSBLOG on Tuesday.
Porter, 50, met with St. John’s officials Monday night, as first reported by ZAGSBLOG, but it’s not certain he was offered the job.
“He flew home and I’m told he was not offered the job,” one source said.

https://www.zagsblog.com/2019/04/16/st- ... g-the-job/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:04 am 

Here is my take on the last Zagsblog post.

My guess, informed in equal measure by cynicism and wishful thinking, is that Porterwasoffered the job but turned it down, and St. John's (maybe with Porter's cooperation or consent) is trying to save face by leaking an alternative version of the meeting.
Anything to avoid the humilation of a mid major coach turning down the opportunity to coach in the Big East.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:18 am 

I honestly don't understand the attraction on either side of this deal. If he turns it down he will have done significant damage to his ability to recruit and with the fans. If he takes it, the fans already hate the hire and he is out of his element. NY press will want immediate results.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:26 am 

More from Zagoria

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:49 am 

For me, if Porter takes this job, I wouldn't feel so bad that he left, as I would feel bad about what he left for.

What's so weird about this potential move to me is that St. John's doesn't check any of the boxes that I would think Porter would be looking for:

1) It's not in the Midwest - where his recruiting ties are;
2) It's not a skyrocketing move to a school with amazing tradition that Loyola lacks;
3) It's not a place where he can come right in and win (they've got serious rebuilding to do);
4) It's not a place that values loyalty or giving coaches time (fired alum and nobody makes it but 3 or 4 years there);

I just don't understand.... You would assume you'd go to a new gig because it's "better." Saint John's has nothing that Porter preaches about. There's no "culture," there's no "loyalty," they aren't "Winners" (they have been consistently terrible for years). Itcan't be that great of money -- it's not like he's going to a school in a state like Texas or Florida where there is no personal state income tax.

If he declines it.... I'm still on the Porter train -- no hard feelings. But if he takes it, I'll be very shocked and disappointed.

Leaving Loyola for Kentucky, Duke, UCLA, Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, Notre Dame or Kansas, gives the message that you're taking your dream job.

Leaving Loyola for Saint John's gives the message that you wanted out of Rogers Park.... And that's what hurts the most.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 24  Next