It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 24  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:02 am 

“Hiring someone who wants to be at St. John’s and is invested is the most important aspect of hiring someone,” the coach added. “Tim bleeds St. John’s.
So this is a quote referring to Ionas Cluees......that is what I want at LU....I thought it was Porter,,,,,if it is not...then Im the sucker,,,,and who is the guy that bleeds Loyola.? Someone was correct when they said too late on Bruno....probably have to go back to Gene Sullivan...or maybe it just does not work that way anyomore and I am the sucker again.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:03 am 

01grad wrote:
Maybe he’s just coming back to wish Steve Watson happy birthday...

It just occured to me that Watson looks a lot like Brewster Rockit Space Guy.

Sorry to interrupt...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:07 am 

no problem,,,,i just kept typing

Leaving Loyola for Saint John's gives the message that you wanted out of Rogers Park.... And that's what hurts the most.
makes you wonder if something did happen,,,maybe admissions, maybe scheduling, maybe not enough cash for the new assistant, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:11 am 

Everyone needs a reality check.

First, talking to other schools does not make him not a bad person, a traitor, Bruce Pearl, etc. This is the way the college basketball industrial complex works. If you want Loyola to be big-time, this is the risk you take. If P5 schools aren't looking at your coach, or other schools aren't taking your assistants, then your program is not very good. The players know this. It would hurt, but it would not be fatal because Porter has shown that Loyola is a stepping stone for assistants and head coaches.

Second, flip-flopping on jobs didn't seem to impact Billy Donovan. He left Florida to go to the Magic and then back to Florida. He stayed for another 10 years and had several runs to the Elite 8 and Final 4. You can name a boat load of coaches who use this dance to get more money, facilities, etc. Just think how much money the UCLA job made for other coaches. Rick Barnes, Calipari, Jaime Dixon, etc.

Third, Manny Diaz part 2? If Porter leaves, does Mullins comeback?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:28 am 

ToledoRambler wrote:
For me, if Porter takes this job, I wouldn't feel so bad that he left, as I would feel bad about what he left for.

What's so weird about this potential move to me is that St. John's doesn't check any of the boxes that I would think Porter would be looking for:

1) It's not in the Midwest - where his recruiting ties are;
2) It's not a skyrocketing move to a school with amazing tradition that Loyola lacks;
3) It's not a place where he can come right in and win (they've got serious rebuilding to do);
4) It's not a place that values loyalty or giving coaches time (fired alum and nobody makes it but 3 or 4 years there);

I just don't understand.... You would assume you'd go to a new gig because it's "better." Saint John's has nothing that Porter preaches about. There's no "culture," there's no "loyalty," they aren't "Winners" (they have been consistently terrible for years). Itcan't be that great of money -- it's not like he's going to a school in a state like Texas or Florida where there is no personal state income tax.

If he declines it.... I'm still on the Porter train -- no hard feelings. But if he takes it, I'll be very shocked and disappointed.

Leaving Loyola for Kentucky, Duke, UCLA, Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, Notre Dame or Kansas, gives the message that you're taking your dream job.

Leaving Loyola for Saint John's gives the message that you wanted out of Rogers Park.... And that's what hurts the most.

I tend to agree with this.

As for Mullins, he’s not going to bail on SIU after just taking the job a few weeks ago with a lot of fanfare. That’s just not something a respectable person would do, and especially not to your alma mater where you’re in their HOF. He’ll always be part of Rambler history, but he’s back as a Saluki now.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:30 am 

Rambler88 wrote:

Third, Manny Diaz part 2? If Porter leaves, does Mullins comeback?

That thought crossed my mind too. I am tempted to raise this possibility on Saluki Insider just to see the reaction.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:32 am 

ToledoRambler wrote:

What's so weird about this potential move to me is that St. John's doesn't check any of the boxes that I would think Porter would be looking for:

1) It's not in the Midwest - where his recruiting ties are;
2) It's not a skyrocketing move to a school with amazing tradition that Loyola lacks;
3) It's not a place where he can come right in and win (they've got serious rebuilding to do);
4) It's not a place that values loyalty or giving coaches time (fired alum and nobody makes it but 3 or 4 years there);

This is what bothers me the most. Loyola has stuck by Porter. The fans have been supportive even during the initial few years (for the most part). SJU fans are already bashing Porter on Twitter. He will have a VERY short leash there. And that doesn't work with his style. He needs time to build a program, culture, etc.

This just seems like a terrible fit for both parties. St. John's fires a coach about every 4 years.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:46 am 

Rambler88 wrote:

First, talking to other schools does not make him not a bad person, a traitor, Bruce Pearl, etc. This is the way the college basketball industrial complex works. If you want Loyola to be big-time, this is the risk you take. If P5 schools aren't looking at your coach, or other schools aren't taking your assistants, then your program is not very good. The players know this. It would hurt, but it would not be fatal because Porter has shown that Loyola is a stepping stone for assistants and head coaches.

I appreciate the sobriety.

Porter would be a fool not to at least entertain 2-3 million dollar high major offers (not the least because not doing so would wreck his leverage at Loyola). That doesn't make him a bad person. The timing is not great but would it have ever been?

Edit: Also according to wikipedia St. John's has the 6th most number of wins in div 1 history and they play games in Madison Square Garden. It's a shitty gig for a lot of other reasons but let's not pretend they don't have a history.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:56 am 

jmiller2794 wrote:
Rambler88 wrote:

I appreciate the sobriety.

Porter would be a fool not to at least entertain 2-3 million dollar high major offers (not the least because not doing so would wreck his leverage at Loyola). That doesn't make him a bad person. The timing is not great but would it have ever been?

Edit: Also according to wikipedia St. John's has the 6th most number of wins in div 1 history and they play games in Madison Square Garden. It's a shitty gig for a lot of other reasons but let's not pretend they don't have a history.

They do have *a* tradition, no question. But, they really haven’t done much since the days when Eddie Murphy was holding court outside of the bathroom at MSG during halftime.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:59 am 

I don't think we should really be offended that Porter is interviewing for the St Johns job. This is how the coach market works and we shouldn't think we are the exception. A Big East job is going to be a step up from almost every mid-major job in the country. So while I will be very disappointed if he leaves I will not hold it against him. In the end, he brought us a Final Four.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 24  Next