It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

How Should Porter Fill the Assistant Coach Position?
Hire a current college assistant coach 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
Hire a former college head coach on the rebound 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
Hire an up and coming high school coach 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
Promote from within 36%  36%  [ 4 ]
Other (explain) 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 11
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:26 am 

Ideally, I'd like an offensive mind on the staff. We all know Porter is an excellent defense coach. Mullins as well. And last year, it really showed as we had no real offensive creativity but still had one of the best defenses in the country.

Any thoughts on Dee Brown? Maybe not as 2nd in command to Porter, but at least adding to the staff. He is obviously a Chicago/Illinois legend. He has been on the UIC staff for a few years. A big name that could help with recruiting (and a legendary PG...which we need!)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:13 pm 

This was brought up in the Porter Movin' thread, but SIU officially announced their new coaching staff and Javon Mamon is a part of it.

Now have two spots to replace. Will definitely be important how they are filled in case we do this song and dance again with Porter down the road.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:39 pm 

I think it's a no-brainer to promote London Dokubo into Mamon's Director of Basketball Operations job.

As for the vacant assistant position, the question is whether Porter (and/or Watson) wants to hire an heir apparent type, or a third chair coach behind Valentine and Gordon.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:20 pm 

Two open staff positions. Was part of Porter's return based on his ability to hire more experienced/expensive staff? We will see....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:24 pm 

Rambler88 wrote:
Two open staff positions. Was part of Porter's return based on his ability to hire more experienced/expensive staff? We will see....

I was wondering the same thing!?!?! Also, I honestly have no idea how this process works.. and have no idea how the current and most recent coaches came to be... but I have total confidence in PM and see no reason why not to replicate the process that was used to acquire those coaches. Obviously we must be doing something right because these coaches are moving up not down after they leave.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 2:02 pm 

Kinda expected, London is getting promoted to DOBO to fill that spot. Still need to get an assistant, and I haven't seen or heard anything about that yet.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:20 pm 

Moser just followed Boston College assistant coach Billy Wuczinski on Twitter. Billy Wu has been an assistant at BU since 2014 and also coached at Ohio, Texas Christian, Florida International and Loyola under Larry Farmer. He's a Chicago native.

The timing of this right after London Dokubo was selected for the DOBO job suggests to me that Billy Wu may very well be our next assistant coach.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 5:33 am 

I checked out on Loyola's website the job posting for the vacant assistant position, which is still up. It labels it as "Associate Head Coach" (Mullins' old title). This implies the search is for a senior assistant type rather than someone who would be below Valentine and Gordon.
Wuczinski would fit the bill, so to speak.

https://www.careers.luc.edu/postings/10721

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:18 am 

Video Coordinator role has been filled. Patrick Wallace, formerly a Northwestern Grad Assistant.

From his bio on NW's website: "Wallace joined the Northwestern men’s basketball program as a graduate manager in June of 2017. As a graduate manager, Wallace is responsible for game and scouting preparation, undergraduate managers and assisting in player development sessions and practice.

Wallace played collegiately at North Carolina State (2013-15) and Charleston Southern (2015-17). He was a member of two NCAA tournament teams and a Sweet 16 appearance with a victory over No. 1 overall seed Villanova in 2015.

Wallace transferred to Charleston Southern in 2015 and played for coach Barclay Radebaugh from 2015-17. He was mentored by assistant coaches BJ McKie, the all-time leading scorer at South Carolina, and Thomas Butters, whose grandfather was the athletic director at Duke University from 1977-1997. He finished his career at Charleston Southern 15th all-time in 3-pointers made with 117 made triples in just two seasons at Charleston Southern. Wallace was also a two-time Big South All-Academic and NABC Honors Court member in both of his seasons at Charleston Southern.

A Charlotte, North Carolina, native, Wallace played his prep basketball at Brewster Academy (N.H.). He earned a B.A. in Communication Studies from Charleston Southern University in 2017 and is pursuing his Master’s of Arts in Sports Administration at Northwestern and is scheduled to graduate in the spring of 2019."

And his college stats: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/patrick-wallace-1.html

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:31 am 

And not to bury my above post about the Video Coordinator role, but it looks like the Associate Head Coach job posting swella mentioned was taken down and replace by one which just says Assistant Coach - Basketball. So maybe the they've shifted their strategy for what they're looking for.

https://www.careers.luc.edu/postings/11014

swellafelon wrote:
I checked out on Loyola's website the job posting for the vacant assistant position, which is still up. It labels it as "Associate Head Coach" (Mullins' old title). This implies the search is for a senior assistant type rather than someone who would be below Valentine and Gordon.
Wuczinski would fit the bill, so to speak.

https://www.careers.luc.edu/postings/10721

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next