It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Keeping Coach long term
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:07 pm 

Interesting article from the Trib...basically saying that we were lucky this time to keep PM......Says LU now needs to step up if they want to keep PM......I think agree....LU has seen what a successful team does for the U overall....they have seen what kind of coach PM is and now they and us, fans and alumns, have to work to keep him here....Some things like scheduling and being in a one bid conference may be beyond our reach.......there also might be some clues here also in why PM was looking,,,,the fact that even with what he calls a "good body of work" we may not get into the Tournament...Not much to do with that except move up in Conference level but is there any chance of that?
https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/c ... story.html

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:59 pm 

There is no reason The Valley has to remain a one bid conference. It was not always that way. Loyola should ally themselves with some of the stronger members, e.g. Illinois State, Southern Illinois, Missouri State, and Northern Iowa, to push the conference to require member schools to upgrade facilities, advertising, recruiting budgets and non conference scheduling.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:22 am 

Not so simple to keep him. He has interviewed at other schools that are not public information. SO, Joanne, get your rear-end on a plane and fly out to Spokane and figure out how Gonzaga kept Few. Don't bring Kelly or Watson. Use the weight of your office to see the Zags structure and actually put a plan in place and hold people accountable for its execution. Pretty simple. Changes internally, ditch the indirect reporting and have athletics report directly to you, like almost every of school in D1. Porter is now the face of the University and the Admin needs to accept this and learn how to ride the train for the overall good. You could make the argument that everyone now works for Porter.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:11 am 

That sounds reasonable Dave.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:56 pm 

In our Final 4 season the MVC ranked 8th of 32 conferences. Behind only P6 and AAC. Moving to other conferences is just rearranging chairs on the titanic.

In our time as a member, the MVC ranks 5th in conference winning% in the NCAA Tournament (2014-19). If you remove WSU, the winning% stays the same (60%).
Conf.....W-L.....%
ACC.....80-41....66
WCC....17-10....63
SEC.....52-31....63
B1G.....60-39....61
MVC.....12-8.....60
PAC.....34-27....56
B12.....49-40....55
BE.......32-30....52
AAC.....17-18....49
A10.....11-20....35

We need to ante up coaching salaries. Moreso than UNI. We have more money. That’s the Gonzaga model. Success, invest, success.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:31 pm 

One of the things Porter talked about in his post-decision interviews that I thought was interesting was that he is frustrated that being in a league like ours, the “body of work” in the regular season doesn’t matter. He also talked about being frustrated with winning the league, and then Marques had a bad game, we lose to Bradley by only 2 - and all of the sudden he felt like he had to apologize to everyone for having a perceived “disappointing season.” I feel like if we were a 2 bid league Porter would probably think less and less about leaving. His drive is obviously to make it to the tournament year in and year out and have a chance to win. I think he has proven that money is not his driving factor in coaching, but if you really try to pinpoint what he doesn’t like about his Loyola experience, it is obvious it boils down to only 2 things:

1) scheduling
2) the Valley being a 1 bid league.

Unfortunately, I don’t know that there’s a whole lot Loyola can do to ease any of those frustrations for him, short of mounting an all-out campaign to move to a better conference. Obviously the Big 10, Big 12, ACC, SEC, PAC 12 are out. So where can you go? The American or the Big East. The American seems like it would give us the best chance to stay relevant and win, but the travel would be insane. The big east would be the same issue, but if you look at how DePaul has done since they’ve been there, that doesn’t make me feel great about making that jump. Plus - we would actually need to get invited. The valley just seems destined to be a one-bid league, and that’s not necessarily its fault. It’s a double edged sword - sure the big east gives you more chances at getting into the tournament - but I am of the mindset that with that type of schedule and travel, it’s probably easier to win the valley for Loyola than it would be to grab one of those at-large bids playing that grueling conference schedule.

The only team from a league like ours who has figured out the magic formula for getting at larges in a lower league is Gonzaga - and it seems incredibly hard to replicate.

ON SCHEDULING

Trying to get fair shakes on scheduling and getting home-and-homes is never going to be easy.... but —

Short term - it seems to me that we should be able to co-host a Battle for Chicago every year. Loyola, DePaul, Northwestern, and UIC should play every year at the UC (or whatever DePaul’s arena name is) on a Friday, with a winners and a losers game on Saturday. 4 leagues, 4 Chicago teams - one winner every year. Local media will eat it up - there’s no complaining about “home floor,” If you do it the first week of the season it gets all casual fans interested in all four schools (hopefully sparking interest for each school for the rest of the season - and sells more home tickets for future games). It gets area alums interested - bragging rights at the water cooler, etc. It would give all of us 1 to 2 quality games to fill our schedules on “neutral courts.” It shuts out annoying Notre Dame and U of I (a happy unintended consequence - but helps DePaul and Northwestern who they recruit against). Everyone makes a profit. It might spark interest from up-and-coming talent, and make kids want to stay in Chicago instead of bolting. Getting this deal done should make sense for everyone, and it blows my mind that it hasn’t happened. These are two solid games on all four teams schedules locked in for every year that would knock 2 headaches out of 12 each year for all 4 coaches.

Throw a coaches banquet the Thursday night before and have all four coaches show up and have a town-hall setup where fans can buy in for tickets to have dinner and see them interacting with each other and talking about their expectations for the season in each of their leagues.

Schedule an alumni game for all 4 programs between Game 1 and Game 2, and make it an all-day event.

Make sure the Cardinal has floor seats for Loyola and DePaul... we can put sister jean next to him to clue him in on the game.

None of the 4 schools are too good to try this, at least for a 1 year commitment. I would legitimately like to know valid arguments against it.

On the conference thing....

I think we are doing almost as much as we can do in the Valley. We are winning, spending more money, recruiting better players, and going to post seasons (CBI, NCAA, NIT last five years).

For fun - and this is crazy, off-the-wall-idea...The only thing I can even think of to fix the scheduling/one-bid issue would be to try and rally a bunch of schools for a new league - which seems impossible. But, ideally, this would be an amazing, multiple bid league:

Loyola - Chicago, Illinois
DePaul - Chicago, Illinois
St. Louis - St. Louis, Missouri
Marquette - Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Creighton - Omaha, Nebraska
Xavier - Cincinnati, Ohio
Dayton - Dayton, Ohio
Seton Hall - greensburg, Pennsylvania
Notre Dame - South Bend, Indiana
Saint Joseph’s - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Saint Bonaventure - New York
Georgetown - DC

That’s an all-catholic league of no football schools, in major tv markets (new
York, Chicago, Philly, DC) and I think a HSC (“Holy See Conference”) would gain a lot of traction. It’s fun to dream....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:13 pm 

Did Notre Dame drop football? Must have missed that story...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:48 pm 

Toledo,,,,,I agree on your scheduling analysis...we need to get out of the box..somehow...be creative....create tournaments,,,play in more tournaments,,,,more conference v conference kind of things,,,,,,the old double headers at the United Center....etc..

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:41 am 

Quote:
One of the things Porter talked about in his post-decision interviews that I thought was interesting was that he is frustrated that being in a league like ours, the “body of work” in the regular season doesn’t matter. He also talked about being frustrated with winning the league, and then Marques had a bad game, we lose to Bradley by only 2 - and all of the sudden he felt like he had to apologize to everyone for having a perceived “disappointing season.”

We went 6-6 in non-con with a NC RPI of 179. We finished with a 128 NET. Belmont got an at-large. Fans were happy and appreciated our season.

Porter’s being a little ridiculous.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:13 am 

The chances of Notre Dame leaving the ACC are slim to none. DePaul, Marquette, Creighton, Xavier, Seton Hall, Georgetown...so essentially the Big East minus Villanova (best team), St John’s (biggest market), Providence, and Butler. The first six aren’t going to split off from those 4 for this new conference either.

The bottom line for us is, unless we get added to the Big East (unlikely if DePaul has any sort of veto power), the MVC is the best fit for us. What it needs is for us to stick on our upward trajectory, for some of the rest of schools to get back to where they were in the recent past (i.e. SIU, UNI), and we can be a multi bid league.

Another possible scenario is Div 1 splits or shrinks some. It’s gotta be close to 100 schools larger than it was when the tournament expanded to 64, which makes it tougher to get bids. I don’t buy the talk of the power 5 schools splitting off in basketball. That would dilute the Tournament way too much and they know a ton of money is made that first weekend...and they know upsets from smaller schools make that weekend. What I *could* see happening is D1 shrinking down to 15-20 conferences, and in any scenario like that the MVC is guaranteed to be part of it.