It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Roster Thoughts
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:13 pm 

Blers wrote:
ToledoRambler wrote:
This one sucks. It’s not a devastating blow for this year, but it’s still a bummer we won’t get to see Cooper take his game to the next level after a great freshman year.

The silver lining is that, we have so much new talent coming in, that it was going to cause a lot of lineup tinkering. Decisions on playing time get a little bit easier for Porter now, and on top of that, we should have a TON of experience going into the 20-21 season. If we develop one or 2 really strong newcomers this year, the year after with Krut, Williamson, and Aher and Cooper coming back is shaping into something that could be special.

Next man up! I’m really hoping one or two of our new guys take advantage, and explode this season.

Completely agree with this. I feel like this is a building/development year more than anything. A lot of talent but so much gel-ing to do with all the new bodies. Gonna be tough to three-peat as regular season champs with so many players learning the league, but it gives more opportunities for a lot of the younger guys, which should lead to a stacked roster when Cooper comes back.

It'll be fun to see how the roster and rotations shake out. Based on Porters MVC press conference I think it's safe to say Keith Clemons will start at point, Porter talked about how he's been a winner at every level, winning a state championship in high school and then a JuCo championship as well. He also compared Tate Hall to Ben Richardson, saying he's got a really high motor on both ends of the court. If nothing else I think this team will be fun to watch, a lot of learning, but hopefully looser, without the constant pressure of "last year" hanging over their heads.

My thoughts may change as the offseason progresses and we get more nuggets from how things are going in practice, but I think opening day starting 5 is:

Clemons, Hall, Williamson, Uguak, Krut

Stacked bench with the experienced Bruno, the three heralded freshmen, Big Frank with a year of experience under his belt and Pipkins who has D1 experience.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:08 pm 

I didn't think this deserved its own thread, and since it is roster-related I thought I'd stick it here...

Look who's on the Women's roster for next year:

https://loyolaramblers.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1275

I wonder if Porter named her after Michael Jordan?

Her greatest contribution to Loyola Athletics undoubtedly will be to incentivize Porter not to jump ship.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:27 pm 

That’s awesome that she will be on campus next year. It says something too that Porter respects Kate enough and how she’s running the program to want his daughter to play for her. I think Achter has done a pretty great job of fixing things up after the Cheryl Swoops disaster.