It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Loyola golf outing
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:33 am 

Attended the dinner at the Loyola golf outing yesterday afternoon.
An outstanding event put on by the athletic department.
Speakers were Kate Achter women's bball coach, Coach Moser and AD Steve Watson.
Sister Jean attended and gave the opening prayer.
Toward the end of the program they brought out a big birthday cake and we all sang Happy 100th birthday to Sister Jean who appeared robust and energetic.
Kate gave a nice speech and mentioned she now has an experienced backcourt and that last year was the first year that the women's team won an MVC tourney game. The arrow looks up on the program. She expressed praises on all the other sports at Loyola
Coach Moser gave a speech placing a big emphasis on how Loyola needs to be "greedy" and get to the next level by really pushing the program.
He is excited by this team and said it was his fastest ever. He indicated Loyola is having difficulty getting teams to pay Loyola to come play them on their home courts. Looks like the Florida game of two years ago had a big impact. The player I heard mentioned the most for a big impact was Tate. I asked someone why he
did not get a DI scholarship and it was because he was shorter and thinner. He can shoot the lights at as well as play all five positions.
Still looking for a a game that Saturday December 7th. My strong impression was that we will not play UIC this year.
The Vanderbilt game was confirmed for Wednesday December 18th in Phoenix.
The MVC schedule should be out in about three weeks so we will know more about the teams and dates for the road games.
In an interesting note it was learned that AD Steve Watson and his boss Tom Kelly will travel soon to visit Gonzaga to learn more about the Gonzaga approach to sustaining excellence. This is part of the push to move to a higher level.
There was the usual raffle and silent auction items there.
It was nice to again see Jerry Harkness and also Clayton Custer and Ben Richardson. Clayton will be leaving in a couple of weeks for Wroclaw (spelling ?) Poland for the start of his pro career. Not sure where Ben will be playing but if Ben plays for the same team as last year they would play against each other.
I would love to see them play again on the same team.
Former men's vball coach Shane Davis was there. He purchased the 1914 Cubs game package for $500 which was one of the big auction items.
The food was great and the buffet was well organized in terms of lines. The drinks were great as well and had a great alcohol content. Sometimes events go cheap in that regard. I think Contigny really wants Loyola business.
The event was held in a huge well air conditioned tent and the tables were spaciously placed so there was a lot of elbow room and the ability to mingle. Parking was also ample and close by. I forgot who but the longest drive was 340 yards and winning scramble team had a 56.
A nice way to bring Loyola fandom together.
Hats off to Steve Watson and his staff for a well run event. It was worth the cost as well!

Post subject: Re: Loyola golf outing
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:57 am 

Thanks streak!

Interesting note about the Gonzaga trip. Shame UIC doesn't want to play, though I did see a note on their board at one point saying they were tired of losing to us in the MVC era, so what's the point of playing us again. Oh well.

Is the Vandy game part of a showcase of some kind? Why is it Phoenix?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:37 am 

It appears UIC’s AD resigned this summer. Perhaps that had something to do with scheduling them.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:51 am 

25 .did not see you there...good summary....just going to add..have two non-cons to still schedule..end of August should have full schedule. Talked to Cam Krutwig about the Bradley Tournament game and he confirmed it was excessively physical. He is very excited about the speed on this team. Also got to talk to Drew Valentine...what a nice guy....He also talked about the physicality of that game and says part of the problem is that in the MVC tournament there are B10 officials with chips on their shoulders....also said Bradley made a concerted effort to stop Krutwig touches in the semi-final game. The womens basketball team was out on the course and a lot of fun. I took the grand daughters to a couple games last year and this is one tough coach and one tough team....should make the effort to watch them play this year....Also Coach Acher is a hell of a golfer. The mens team was also there and Coach Hoops will be hosting the Valley tournament at Flossmor Country Club....They need just a little more cash to get the team a track man which is an essential piece of training equipment... they are a few dollars short ..so if you have some cash to launder.here is your chance.........Some great goodies this year...free cigars was my favorite...but Great Lakes Brewing had a couple kegs set up on the course with some great beer.....only mis-step was having to play the blue tees....long way home for us seniors........but great day to celebrate LU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:20 am 

Gee, thanks, nate.. I was almost over the Bradley game lol. That was a complete joke.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:19 pm 

You know...I watched that last play over and over again...because I thought Custer had the baseline on the dribble with Krutwig rolling to the basket.....so I actually did ask someone in the know about that play and got a very honest answer .....but I dont want to throw anyone under the bus......how is that for a teaser???? I also inquired about renting out Irelands for the Bradley game this year so Bradley alums cant rent it out....thought we would have a Ramblermania gathering??? I am working on it....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:53 pm 

natetheskate wrote:
You know...I watched that last play over and over again...because I thought Custer had the baseline on the dribble with Krutwig rolling to the basket.....so I actually did ask someone in the know about that play and got a very honest answer .....but I dont want to throw anyone under the bus......how is that for a teaser???? I also inquired about renting out Irelands for the Bradley game this year so Bradley alums cant rent it out....thought we would have a Ramblermania gathering??? I am working on it....

Great idea Nate, we can’t let them take over our own place like that again.