It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:59 am 

https://loyolaramblers.com/news/2019/10 ... olicy.aspx

I'm trying to figure out the purpose of this new policy. Does the demand for student seats exceed the supply? Does this alleviate students having to wait in line before the game? Does this permit the Athletic Department to sell seats in the student section to the general public on game day if it finds out the student attendance projection shows available seats? And just what is the "Penalty" if a student claims a ticket but is a no show?
The article fails to explain the policy's rationale, which leads me to suspect they're up to no good.
(And, for Ahunte, this post contains four question marks.)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:36 am 

From what I understand, they did have more students wanting in than getting in for some games. I saw a Phoenix article that mentioned wanting a similar program since having an evening class could mean missing a game since you couldn't line up to wait to get in.

I'm curious to know what the penalty is as well. Is it not being able to get tickets to a future game? I doubt they can fine students for not showing up.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:59 pm 

swellafelon wrote:
Does the demand for student seats exceed the supply? Does this alleviate students having to wait in line before the game? Does this permit the Athletic Department to sell seats in the student section to the general public on game day if it finds out the student attendance projection shows available seats? And just what is the "Penalty" if a student claims a ticket but is a no show?

All of the above???

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:02 pm 

Quote:
Day said penalties escalate in severity. The first penalty for a no-show occurrence is a reminder email. After the second occurrence, the student loses ticket claim privileges for three games. After three times, a student loses the opportunity to claim tickets for the rest of the season.

http://loyolaphoenix.com/2019/10/new-online-ticket-policy-for-2019-20-mens-basketball-season/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:49 pm 

Punishing customers is never a good idea. Keeping away fans who want to see a game is a very bad idea. Doing both at the same time really needs some rethinking.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:19 pm 

We only have to look back two years to remember a time the student section was, um, sparse. So, yeah, count me as one who is skeptical of this. Obviously if the trend of student interest from last year continues it’s great. But the pessimist in me reminds me of the possibility that such enthusiasm could be fleeting, and this policy may not help.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:24 pm 

I agree with Scream and 01Grad. I am not a fan of the new policy, especially the bureaucratic and punitive aspects.
If the main issue was the line of students waiting in the student union before games, it looked to me like the students were having a good time, kind of like a tailgate party atmosphere. Heck, the band or drum corps played to get them psyched up, and LuWolf and the cheerleaders did their thing too.

The only advantage I can see to the new policy is if it informs students trying to claim a ticket online that the student section is sold out, so that they wouldn't have to wait in line only to be denied admission. If that is a capability of the system then that makes some sense. But how many sell outs did we have last year?

And the policy might have an unintended adverse effect that more than offsets any slight advantage it might have. Students who neglected to claim a ticket online by the day before the game but still wanted to attend are directed to go to the ticket window on game day to check for seat availability. I can see this causing a long line at the ticket window, which would inconvenience BOTH students AND walk-up general public ticket buyers.
We shall see.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:35 am 

I said in my first post that I suspected the Athletic Department might be up to no good, and it looks like I could be right. At least it looks to me like they may be guilty of a little deception (or non-disclosure) in making the policy change appear to emanate from grassroots student demand, when in fact it probably was a departmental initiative.
The Phoenix article discussing the ticket policy change linked in RamblerTank's post mentions an October 2 student opinion piece appearing in the Phoenix written by Anthony Campana arguing for an online ticketing system quite similar to the one adopted. Here is Campana's piece:
http://loyolaphoenix.com/2019/10/loyola ... ic-events/

It is very well researched and written, maybe even suspiciously so.

I Googled Anthony Campana. Here is his linkedin profile:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/anthony-campana-27b760142

It turns out that Campana is not only a Marketing and Information Systems major, he is also a STUDENT MANAGER ON THE MEN'S BASKETBALL TEAM. He did not mention this fact in his opinion piece.
Now, my conspiratorial mind immediately jumps to the conclusion that Campana was used by the Athletic Department as a stalking horse to gauge and influence student opinion on the ticket policy issue.
If true, it is definitely not the worst thing in the world, but it strikes me as a bit sneaky and manipulative. Of course it could also be not true, which would make me appear a little paranoid and Looney Tune.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:06 am 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:14 am 

(I agree that The Phoenix should have identified the writer of the article as an employee of the Athletics Department.)