It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Scrimmage
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:40 am 

JC64, are you sure we applied for a waiver on behalf of Braden Norris? If we did our thinking must have changed since after he signed; the Loyola press release issued upon his transfer clearly indicates he had to sit out a year and wouldn't play until 2020-2021:

https://loyolaramblers.com/news/2019/5/ ... oster.aspx

Plus, I don't see any arguable basis for the NCAA to grant a waiver. If I recall correctly, Norris is on record as saying the reason for his transfer was basketball-related; he wanted to play at the highest level. That is not grounds for a waiver.
Briefly, unless the transferring player has graduated with eligibility remaining, he must sit a year except in these circumstances:
1.Family Hardship, meaning a close family member is sick and needs assistance from the player, and the player moves to be physically closer (within 100 miles) to his ailing relative. I don't know of any ailing relative; Loyola is farther from Norris' hometown of Hilliard Ohio than Oakland University and more than 100 miles distant.

2. The player's own physical or mental health requires him to move closer to his "support system". Wichita State used this grounds unsuccessfully with one of their transfers. I haven't heard anything about Norris requiring a health support system in Chicago.

3. The player's former school discontinued the academic program in which the player was enrolled. I haven't heard anything that this was the case with Norris.

4. There was some egregious misconduct by the former school which through no fault of the played made it an unfair burden for the player to stay. Again, I haven't heard any accusations against Oakland coach Kampe or anybody else.

Here is an NCAA explanation of the waiver rules as amended last summer:

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/med ... her-topics

I concede I don't know all the facts of Norris' situation, but from what I know I am surprised that he applied for a waiver and will be even more surprised if he is granted one.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:00 am 

swellafelon wrote:
JC64, are you sure we applied for a waiver on behalf of Braden Norris? If we did our thinking must have changed since after he signed; the Loyola press release issued upon his transfer clearly indicates he had to sit out a year and wouldn't play until 2020-2021:

https://loyolaramblers.com/news/2019/5/ ... oster.aspx

Plus, I don't see any arguable basis for the NCAA to grant a waiver. If I recall correctly, Norris is on record as saying the reason for his transfer was basketball-related; he wanted to play at the highest level. That is not grounds for a waiver.
Briefly, unless the transferring player has graduated with eligibility remaining, he must sit a year except in these circumstances:
1.Family Hardship, meaning a close family member is sick and needs assistance from the player, and the player moves to be physically closer (within 100 miles) to his ailing relative. I don't know of any ailing relative; Loyola is farther from Norris' hometown of Hilliard Ohio than Oakland University and more than 100 miles distant.

2. The player's own physical or mental health requires him to move closer to his "support system". Wichita State used this grounds unsuccessfully with one of their transfers. I haven't heard anything about Norris requiring a health support system in Chicago.

3. The player's former school discontinued the academic program in which the player was enrolled. I haven't heard anything that this was the case with Norris.

4. There was some egregious misconduct by the former school which through no fault of the played made it an unfair burden for the player to stay. Again, I haven't heard any accusations against Oakland coach Kampe or anybody else.

Here is an NCAA explanation of the waiver rules as amended last summer:

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/med ... her-topics

I concede I don't know all the facts of Norris' situation, but from what I know I am surprised that he applied for a waiver and will be even more surprised if he is granted one.

A source from Oakland University on Twitter said that Loyola has applied for a waiver and Oakland isn’t contesting it. I’m not saying he’ll be granted the waiver, but it’s at least a possibility. We don’t know for sure that Braden doesn’t have some familial or health reason why he wanted to transfer.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:05 am 

swellafelon wrote:

Kampe doesn't allow his players to eat Italian beef sandwiches.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:07 am 

ahunte1 wrote:
swellafelon wrote:

Kampe doesn't allow his players to eat Italian beef sandwiches.

WHERE'S THE LINK?! WHERE'S THE LINK?!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:24 am 

After the open practice Saturday, in Ireland's, PM held a discussion about the team and said that he was waiting for a decision from the NCAA on a waiver for Norris.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:28 am 

I wonder if the original intent was to sit and learn the system, but after Cooper's injury if Porter really wanted him in there this year. He would definitely help especially early on with the injuries we've had.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:34 am 

Being shorthanded at the guard position due to injuries is not grounds for granting a transfer waiver, unfortunately.
If anything the roster circumstances and timing of the waiver appeal only heighten the suspicion that the stated reason for the waiver request ( whatever that may be) is pretextual.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:52 am 

Is your point that we should not have applied for a waiver or that one is unlikely to be granted?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:59 am 

There doesn't seem to be any penalty for filing a frivolous waiver request, so ...why not file one?
Again, take what I'm saying with a huge grain of salt. I don't know all the facts and there might be a compelling reason for granting the waiver that isn't evident from what one can glean online.
I hope he is granted a waiver.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:54 am 

Given how many waivers have been granted so far it seems like itd be pretty irresponsible not apply for one

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next