It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:14 pm 

Interesting facts: "Palidans" was officially adopted as the nickname for all sports teams at Furman in 1962 following a vote by the student body.

https://furmanpaladins.com/sports/2019/ ... tions.aspx

This was early in the Civil Rights movement and two years before Furman admitted its first black student.
http://www2.furman.edu/about/commemorat ... fault.aspx

My "interesting" opinion: I don't think it's much of a stretch to believe the choice of "Paladins", with its chivalric connotations, was a deliberate nod to the Antebellum Period in American history when the Southern white gentry fancied themselves as chivalric knights. Adopting the nickname "Palidans" in 1962 could be seen as a not-so-subtle indication that Furman liked its segregated school just fine, thank you very much.

https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles ... can-south/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:55 pm 

swellafelon wrote:

Thank you for the correction.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:12 pm 

Furman ended their relationship with the South Carolina Baptist Convention and is a secular institution with an African-American enrollment close to Loyola's. In some ways you could say they started over in 1992.....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:31 pm 

Get with the program, Nate. This is about payback for some dipshit Furman fan registering and posting on Ramblermania for the sole purpose (apparently) of pointing out a misspelled word. Like JCT or somebody else on the board wouldn't have noticed it without outside help. And no comment from this douche about JCT's in depth and even-handed discussion of the Furman basketball team.

FYI, Loyola ranks #474 in ethnic diversity among colleges; Furman ranks #1683.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:41 pm 

swellafelon wrote:
Get with the program, Nate. This is about payback for some dipshit Furman fan registering and posting on Ramblermania for the sole purpose (apparently) of pointing out a misspelled word. Like JCT or somebody else on the board wouldn't have noticed it without outside help. And no comment from this douche about JCT's in depth and even-handed discussion of the Furman basketball team.

I think you just insulted a ninja.

https://news.furman.edu/2018/07/16/furm ... a-warrior/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:06 pm 

I'm not afraid of any two-bit American Ninja Warrior!
To prove it, I'll even give him my real name: Joe Dlugosz.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:46 pm 

This Furman fan posted the great write-up of the game from your fan forum to our fan forum. It was outstanding. Please know that most Furman fans appreciate what you guys have at Loyola-Chicago. We were pulling for the Ramblers during your run in the NCCA Tournament. It was beautiful to watch your team play. This Furman fan hopes you do the same this year, but after we beat you tomorrow night! Seriously, it should be a great game. This Furman team has the potential to be even better this year. We beat a good Gardner-Webb team at their place on Tuesday night. Good luck to the Ramblers.

For the record, we are not a bunch of cigarette smoking, Trump loving red-neck racists. Yes, we have our history, as do many of our Founding Fathers. Furman has owned up to the past. For proof, I offer you the following for your reading pleasure. https://www.furman.edu/about/task-force ... d-justice/

This is where the name Paladins came from. Named the Purple Hurricanes in the 1920s, the Furman football team as well as all Furman's sports teams were renamed "Paladins" or "Purple Paladins" in 1961. Paladins refers to the knights of Charlemagne's Court who were men of courage and daring, persons of "outstanding worth or quality who are firm in support of some cause or objective." https://libguides.furman.edu/special-co ... ian-knight

Again, good luck to the Ramblers. Thank you for the opportunity to post on your great fan forum site.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:23 pm 

Thanks for the thoughtful post gman.

But I honestly think I am onto something about the adoption of the "Paladin" nickname in 1961 being a signal in response to the Civil Rights Movement that the majority of Furman students preferred the Antebellum South of chivalry and segregation.
Of course I have no proof, but it is highly suggestive that the other nicknames on the 1961 ballot were "Segregationists", "Nullifiers" and "White Supremists".

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:08 pm 

ahunte1 wrote:
swellafelon wrote:

I think you just insulted a ninja.

https://news.furman.edu/2018/07/16/furm ... a-warrior/

Some folks are wound up a bit tight I guess. It's not as though I accosted anyone for the mispelling, I felt a simple correction was kinder. Sorry I didn't post the glowing review of JCT's post that you wanted me to. I did feel it was well-done, but my failure to actually type that doesn't mean it's fair for anyone to conclude the mispelling was the only reason I registered. Heck, I even added a smiley to it so it might not be so offensive. Maybe when in doubt, consider giving people a chance instead of throwing them in the moat for the alligators. Civility matters, even on the Internet.

Anyone who makes the trip, welcome to Greenville and Furman. Including you, Joe :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:17 pm 

Talk about irony!
You misspelled "mis(s)pelling".

By the way, are you the American Ninja Warrior Bootie?

In any event, I've spoken my piece. I know Furman has a good team and I hope the Ramblers prevail in a good and hard-fought game.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next