It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:12 pm 

Friday, November 8, 2019 6:00 p.m.
Timmons Arena , Greenville, SC

I've replayed the Ramblers' 60-58 loss to Furman on November 9th last season in my head about 30-40 times. The haunting picture in my mind is frozen at a particular moment: tie score, with about 4.5 seconds left on the clock, and Furman's Clay Mounce was left all alone, at which time he promptly drove unimpeded to the basket for an emphatic dunk that gave the Paladins the win.

The Southern Conference has been on the rise for the past several years, culminating in last year's impressive finish where Wofford and Furman both dented the AP Top 25. Furman and UNC Greensboro both made the NIT, and Wofford knocked off Seton Hall in the NCAA Tournament.

For 2019-20, East Tennessee State has been tabbed to top the SoCon, with UNC Greensboro and Furman coming in 2nd and 3rd. The Paladins beat Gardner-Webb on the road to open the season 70-63, snapping Gardner Webb's 14-game home winning streak in the process. Sophomore forward Noah Gurley led the balanced Furman attack with 18 points on efficient 6 of 8 shooting. Junior guard Alex Hunter added 13 points.

The Paladins run a three forward, two guard lineup under third year head coach Bob Ritchey. Mounce (a 6'7" junior), 6'8" sophomore Gurley and 6'7" sophomore Jalen Slawson start in the frontcourt. Dynamic senior Jordan Lyons and 5'11" junior Alex Hunter man the backcourt. Lyons is the leading returning scorer after averaging 16.2 points last season; weighing in at 203 pounds despite his 5'11" height makes him a powerful guard, but most of his points come from outside, and he takes almost twice as many three-point shots as anyone else on the team (303 attempts last year, hitting on 35%). Mounce averaged 10.7 points last year while shooting nearly 52% from the field. Hunter does most of the ball handling and playmaking.

Furman lost their top scorer and rebounder, Matt Rafferty out of Hinsdale Central, to graduation after last season; he scored 1340 points and snagged 851 rebounds in his career while helping Furman become a legitimate mid-major hoops power. The Paladins have won 20 games or more for three straight seasons, and averaged 22.5 wins over the last four seasons.

Loyola is coming off an impressive win over UC Davis, 82-48, in which four starters scored in double digits and the MVC Preseason Conference Player of the Year dished a career-high 11 assists. Cameron Krutwig missed a triple-double by only two rebounds. With Furman's three-forward lineup, the Ramblers are likely going to need exceptional passing and ball movement.

Unfortunately the new-look Ramblers (with sophomore Cooper Kaifes out injured for the season) shot only 4 of 16 from behind the arc (25%), and looked worse than that in their exhibition loss to Indianapolis. Developing a credible, effective three- point shooting threat will be a key to winning until Lucas Williamson and Tate Hall find their strokes from deep. Taking care of the ball will be important; Furman forced 16 turnovers against Gardner-Webb, and allowed only one GWU field goal over the final 3:40.

Loyola game notes: https://loyolaramblers.com/documents/20 ... df?id=9707

Furman game notes: https://furmanpaladins.com/news/2019/11 ... arena.aspx

TV/Streaming video: ESPN3 https://www.espn.com/watch?id=f78f9e36- ... af08879b71

Internet audio feed: https://loyolaramblers.com/watch/?Live=3&type=Live

Live stats: http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=286623

Vegas odds: Furman by 4

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:33 pm 

Great preview!

Last years game still haunts me as well. Honestly, that one stung and set the tone for the rest of the non-conference schedule. If I recall, that last play was a missed assignment by Uguak.

My hope is that Krutwig and Williamson continue the leadership and poise they displayed in the season-opener. I would not be surprised if Krut puts up another double-double. I think he’s going to have a lot of those this year.

While the three point shooting last game was disappointing, how impressive was it that we put up 80+ points and only 12 of them were from long-distance shooting? .... AND Krut only played 26 minutes. We will need to shoot better from 3, for sure, but for now, I’m happy with what we were able to do down low.

Does anyone think the extension of the 3 point line spreads the defense out just enough to make Krutwig’s high post play much more effective? Part of it could be the competition, but it really seemed so much easier for him than it did last year. It’s going to be interesting to see how effective it’ll be against a bigger frontcourt like Furman’s.

Any type of win on the road at this point would be huge for us. I’m already excited for revenge.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:21 am 

JCT wrote:
Friday, November 8, 2019 6:00 p.m.
Timmons Arena , Greenville, SC

I've replayed the Ramblers' 60-58 loss to Furman on November 9th last season in my head about 30-40 times. The haunting picture in my mind is frozen at a particular moment: tie score, with about 4.5 seconds left on the clock, and Furman's Clay Mounce was left all alone, at which time he promptly drove unimpeded to the basket for an emphatic dunk that gave the Paladins the win.

The Southern Conference has been on the rise for the past several years, culminating in last year's impressive finish where Wofford and Furman both dented the AP Top 25. Furman and UNC Greensboro both made the NIT, and Wofford knocked off Seton Hall in the NCAA Tournament.

For 2019-20, East Tennessee State has been tabbed to top the SoCon, with UNC Greensboro and Furman coming in 2nd and 3rd. The Palladins beat Gardner-Webb on the road to open the season 70-63, snapping Gardner Webb's 14-game home winning streak in the process. Sophomore forward Noah Gurley led the balanced Furman attack with 18 points on efficient 6 of 8 shooting. Junior guard Alex Hunter added 13 points.

The Palladins run a three forward, two guard lineup under third year head coach Bob Ritchey. Mounce (a 6'7" junior), 6'8" sophomore Gurley and 6'7" sophomore Jalen Slawson start in the frontcourt. Dynamic senior Jordan Lyons and 5'11" junior Alex Hunter man the backcourt. Lyons is the leading returning scorer after averaging 16.2 points last season; weighing in at 203 pounds despite his 5'11" height makes him a powerful guard, but most of his points come from outside, and he takes almost twice as many three-point shots as anyone else on the team (303 attempts last year, hitting on 35%). Mounce averaged 10.7 points last year while shooting nearly 52% from the field. Hunter does most of the ball handling and playmaking.

Furman lost their top scorer and rebounder, Matt Rafferty out of Hinsdale Central, to graduation after last season; he scored 1340 points and snagged 851 rebounds in his career while helping Furman become a legitimate mid-major hoops power. The Palladins have won 20 games or more for three straight seasons, and averaged 22.5 wins over the last four seasons.

Loyola is coming off an impressive win over UC Davis, 82-48, in which four starters scored in double digits and the MVC Preseason Conference Player of the Year dished a career-high 11 assists. Cameron Krutwig missed a triple-double by only two rebounds. With Furman's three-forward lineup, the Ramblers are likely going to need exceptional passing and ball movement.

Unfortunately the new-look Ramblers (with sophomore Cooper Kaifes out injured for the season) shot only 4 of 16 from behind the arc (25%), and looked worse than that in their exhibition loss to Indianapolis. Developing a credible, effective three- point shooting threat will be a key to winning until Lucas Williamson and Tate Hall find their strokes from deep. Taking care of the ball will be important; Furman forced 16 turnovers against Gardner-Webb, and allowed only one GWU field goal over the final 3:40.

"Paladins"
:)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:39 am 

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:10 am 

Interesting fact: Adolf Hitler referred to Herman Goering as his Palidan.

Source: Stefan Marthens: Erster Paladin des Führers und Zweiter Mann im Reich (1985). Wolfgang Paul: Hermann Goering: Hitler's Paladin or Puppet? (1998).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:13 am 

ToledoRambler wrote:
Last years game still haunts me as well. Honestly, that one stung and set the tone for the rest of the non-conference schedule. If I recall, that last play was a missed assignment by Uguak.

Gotta defend my guy Oogie here... pretty sure it was Townes who left Mounce wide open. Uguak almost made a great recovery play from the weak side to contest the dunk.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:18 am 

Interesting fact: The founder and namesake of Furman University, Richard Furman wrote a book or pamphlet defending slavery: "Exposition of the Views of the Baptists Relative to the Coloured Population of the United States".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Furman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:18 am 

ahunte1 wrote:
ToledoRambler wrote:

Gotta defend my guy Oogie here... pretty sure it was Townes who left Mounce wide open. Uguak almost made a great recovery play from the weak side to contest the dunk.

Ugh. you are right. I should have just trusted you and not pulled it up on YouTube.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:41 am 

ToledoRambler wrote:
Ugh. you are right. I should have just trusted you and not pulled it up on YouTube.

Sorry you had to watch it again :x

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:47 am 

Interesting fact: Furman University is a big beneficiary of the Duke Endowment, created by Big Tobacco Monopolist James B. Duke. Furman's main library is named after him.
https://libguides.furman.edu/library/duke-endowment

So, essentially, the Twin Pillars upon which Furman University stands today are Slavery and Lung Cancer.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next