It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Mid-Major Scheduling
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:20 am 

Interesting look at what some things the top mid-major conferences could do from a scheduling perspective to improve their shot at an at-large bit.

Fully aware it would be a logistical nightmare for any mid-major school to have to implement this, but it's a fun discussion.

Post subject: Re: Mid-Major Scheduling
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:34 am 

Being a Meathead instead of a Stat Nerd my eyes glazed over and I almost fell into a coma reading the first part of the article with all its talk of Quadrants, Linear Regressions, Projection Formulas, etc.

The second half of the article was tough sledding too, but at least you could understand it without an advanced degree in mathematics.
In a nutshell what this guy is proposing (I am skipping his other Rotational intraconference scheduling proposal) is to shorten the conference schedule of some upper echelon mid major leagues and have the top 4 teams of each conference play a home and home series against a top 4 team in a different conference to improve their At Large Bid chances. These games would be scheduled at the end of the regular season but before the conference tournament.

What this guy doesn't address is how playing these two extra games is going to affect the four top teams' chances in their conference tournament, where the bottom teams all have had a chance to rest and prepare for the tourney without having to scout, travel and play a quality team twice.
If I was a coach whose chances for an at large bid were marginal at best, I'd say thanks but no thanks I'd rather concentrate on winning the conference tournament.