It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:00 pm 

Feels good to close the game and win! In the long run, this tournament may help the team. Welch and Pip showed they can play and help provide depth, and we had to deal with closing games. Lot to learn, and it wasn't pretty, but if we can learn and improve this can be a really good team.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:01 pm 

Clutch FT shooting down the stretch. I think Quise, Hall, Pipkins and Krut all went 2-for-2 at the stripe in the last minute or so.

Let's end the non-conference schedule on a good note. All winnable games if we play 40 minutes.

Very excited for Clemons debut on Tuesday. Will be interested to see how it affects the rotation.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:02 pm 

Not perfect, but really nice job closing out a game today. Pipkins played some key minutes.

I've been patient with Aher, but at this point I don't need to see him touch the ball outside the three point line. After a full season-plus, he should know where his strengths are.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:24 pm 

I have a few takeaways:

1. After a few years of seeing us in these tournaments, it is clear that unless we are undefeated and on our way to sniffing an at large, Coach Moser uses these tournaments to screw around with lineups and the result is not as important as the exercise.
2. I hope Clemons is as good as everyone thinks he will be, because if not we have no chance of winning the MVC.
3. Uguak has further cemented my questioning exactly what he does.
4. As long as Clemons gets back healthy, performs as expected, and we stay healthy, we will be good come conference play.

Despite the sour taste of losing the first 2 the way we did, they team bounced back well today, and hopefully will benefit from getting kicked in the teeth.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:28 pm 

Agreed on your points, shyhyme. Clemons being able to run this offense is going to be key to our success (or lack thereof) in conference play. Need someone to facilitate rather than having to depend constantly on the high post game with Krut--need some variety as teams key in on that and jump pass lanes with ease.

I tend to overreact and live and die in the moment. Tough for me to keep my cool when the team is blowing double digit leads. This tournament was immensely winnable. But with some time to reflect, I think we are in an OK spot. There is no one team in conference that looks great or a clear favorite. I see no reason why we can't compete with UNI, Missouri State, Drake, etc. Our younger guys are getting real experience that will pay off big time in conference play. And I think our rotation will work itself out. It already is--Bruno (as much as we all love him) did not get any PT today. Aher did not play in the 2nd half. Frank is seeing some good PT spelling Cam.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:46 pm 

Agree with all above. I haven’t seen any MVC team that scares me.
PM needs to sort it out, refine it and let it go.
We have depth and talent that needs time on the floor, but undoubtably has all the tools.
PM will make it work.
Go Ramblers

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:55 pm 

Learning to win takes some losses. The team showed the ability to absolutely dominate good teams for stretches; and showed composure late today. Love what Porter has to say about Marquise post game; he praised his bounce back and said he loved him.

Big takeaways for me from this tourney are the depth we may have cooking. Welch looks SO much better at the 4. He hits the boards hard, kinda like a more mobile Negron. Pipkins looks to be settling in, love his intensity on defense and he actually has flashed some nice passing on the interior. Frank also has moved so well and is fouling way less. Glad we closed out a game.