It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: A Wonder !!!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:18 am 

ToledoRambler wrote:
Brot,

I understand your frustration but the reason those papers are in the shape they are in is not because they’ve been making good decisions. 20 years ago I think it would legitimately make me mad, but thank God we have ESPN to look at stats, live steaming games on our computers and phones, an audio broadcast of every game, etc. True fans of the ramblers don’t go without! It’s a great time to be a fan, and you don’t need a newspaper to follow along!

I live in Texas, and one of the most fun things from the 2018 run was telling everybody I met about our team and our story. Everyone else I live around says the same things over and over again about the Longhorns and Texas A&M and it’s boring because it’s the same stuff everyone already knows and is inundated with. Being a Duke, Notre Dame or Ohio State fan is boring. You don’t have to even try. Being a loyola fan is special and unique. Don’t take it for granted! A buckeye fan named “brot” on an Ohio State messageboard commenting on USA Today or tribute articles would be nothing.... on ramblermania, you’re legendary! Take pride! Don’t sweat the small stuff!

This sums up exactly why I love being a Loyola fan so much. We’re unique and witnessed an extremely rare and special moment with our final four run. I’ll never forget driving down to Texas from Chicago with my friends. I actually transferred to Loyola as a sophomore that year, after choosing LU over DePaul. I originally was dead set on DePaul then decided to give Loyola a chance. Once I saw the campus and new business school I forgot DePaul ever existed and haven’t looked back since, it’s easily one of the best decisions I’ve made.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:53 pm 

Well Gang. thanks for y0ur comments--As you know I live in Akron and the Beacon Journal covers the Zips and Kent St FLASHES fairly equally OSU does rule tho
Back in the olden days my choices were Herald American --Jim Enright and the Daily News --Clem Lane ( family friend} Back then we did get decent treatment--

Not any more !! Well the boys and Porter will be soon earning coverage Bet on it !!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:45 am 

Wow Brit, you bring back memories. The Chicago Daily News was my favorite newspaper. I used to pick it up for my father every evening at the corner drugstore, and after I started working in the Loop, I would read it on the train coming home. I still have a copy of the last edition ever printed.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:15 pm 

Daily News was the best. My dad used to bring it home every day from work. Great sports page. But they did not print on Sunday.
So after exiting Mass early I would go out in front of church and get the Sun Times, The Tribune and the Chicago American. My dad would spend Sunday afternoon in the yard reading the paper
Certainly slower times. Every Sunday almost every big league team would play a double header and we would sit in the yard and listen to Bob Elson do the Sox games. Once the Sox had a four game lead in June and the Yankees came in four games back and after a make up game the Yankees swept all five and left town one game up and never looked back.If you went to see the Cubs play the upper deck would be closed off including most Sunday and they had a unique screen behind home plate in which a foul ball would race up and then roll down off the screen where the bat boy would catch it.
And oh it was nice when Pip Piper would announce the starting line ups.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:15 pm 

Daily News was the best. My dad used to bring it home every day from work. Great sports page. But they did not print on Sunday.
So after exiting Mass early I would go out in front of church and get the Sun Times, The Tribune and the Chicago American. My dad would spend Sunday afternoon in the yard reading the paper
Certainly slower times. Every Sunday almost every big league team would play a double header and we would sit in the yard and listen to Bob Elson do the Sox games. Once the Sox had a four game lead in June and the Yankees came in four games back and after a make up game the Yankees swept all five and left town one game up and never looked back.If you went to see the Cubs play the upper deck would be closed off including most Sunday and they had a unique screen behind home plate in which a foul ball would race up and then roll down off the screen where the bat boy would catch it.
And oh it was nice when Pip Piper would announce the starting line ups.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:56 pm 

eHOO BOY !!! Memories !! Lor's Dad Fire Chief in Maywood---Brother George Fire Chief in Chgo during riots 1968-- Rioters fired at him and his white Chief's helmet --Missed but did wound one of his guards

Lor and I met on Friday nights in Basement bar in Palmer House for wine and canapes--Then off to TIP TOP TAP in the Allerton to dance---She worked at COM ED an I part time three buildings over--

No Friday classes for me at Lewis Towers This Friday ritual led directly to our big DAY at Sr James Church in SEPT 1951 YAY !!!

Back further still--Lor's Sis Naomi--A Nurse CAPTAIN in charge of a hospital tent --Milne Bay New Guinea--She was saluted by Gen MacARTHUR as he left following his visit to wounded soldiers--

Only war story she ever told Am proud to say her Bio is recorded in the Women in War exhibit at Arlington

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:37 pm 

Do you remember the crowd at Wrigley Field making the Wooooooowoop sound as the foul ball rolled down the net and jumped into the hands of the batboy. One of those batboys was Skippy Jacobson who grew up to be TV newscaster Walter Jacobson.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:13 pm 

64!! Of course I remember!! Just another reason that made Wrigley what IT IS !!!

My DAD brought me--I brought my Son and one of my Grand sons-- maybe this season I can even bring Great grand son Little BRITT--although he is a Nats fan !!! But then he is only 4 yrs old

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:08 am 

Brot,if you decide to do a Cubs game this season let me know and I will try and assist you in setting things up.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:39 pm 

Joe !!!
Would truly love to see you and Dawn once again--But Doctor advises against travel-- yuck !!!!

Will advise in Spring !!! Have cane Will travel !!!