It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:36 pm 

Not trying to be a sore loser but it’s tough to watch a game where refs let them play until the last three minutes and then call a touch foul on Clemons at the top of the arc to put them in the bonus. That call was tough to swallow.

If you’re a Valley team, you should probably watch this game to see how Davidson played Krut. They did a great job of containing him. I felt like we did not get the ball in his hands enough in the second half to win. It’s pretty clear our entire offense is predicated on him with the ball.

What exactly happened to Williamson? He looked fine on the bench.

We need to round up 9 students before the rest of our home games, put them in the practice facility with Tate 20 minutes before the game to scrimmage, then have Tate run across the walkway to Gentile 5 minutes before tipoff. Maybe that ignites him for the first half.

The fact that Krut, Hall and Williamson had 4 combined points at halftime and we were winning was impressive.

Uguak started the game strong in the first half, scored our first 4 points, and it looked like we were going to be able to count on him for at least 10 in his starting position. He was even driving at the basket. Then he proceeded to do nothing on offense in the second half. We are 13 games in and he’s yet to play 1 complete game. I’ve officially lost hope on him as a starter.

We played well enough to win. We didn’t. Time to move on and get better.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:52 pm 

Kennedy does things that just leave my jaw on the ground. What an absolute talent he is. Cannot wait to see him continue developing.

Agreed on Uguak. Especially on the offensive end, I just have trouble seeing why he out there over someone like Pipkins, especially down the stretch. Just disappears on offense, or, worse, becomes a turnover machine.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:55 pm 

The cylinder call was ridiculous. Porter was very pissed

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:02 pm 

Uguak is a much better defensive presence out there than Pipkins, that’s why he’s out there. If only he could hit the outside shot like he does during warmups, but we’ve been asking for that for two years now.

Free throws absolutely killed us today. Again. Just no excuse not to hit at least 75-80%, especially with a guard heavy lineup.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:05 pm 

ToledoRambler wrote:
refs let them play until the last three minutes and then call a touch foul on Clemons at the top of the arc .

Agree, of all the calls, that one was a total head scratcher.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:16 pm 

Here's my thing. Was the call on Clemons a foul? Technically, yes since he had a small hand check. I'd be okay with that if the game was called that way the whole time. I don't like when games are loosely called in the first half and get tighter in the 2nd and near the end of the game. I don't care if you call a tight game or a loose game, just call a consistent game. That call was inconsistent with the rest of the game, and that is my issue.

On a positive note, Kennedy continues to impress, and if Welch can develop a good offense game, he'll be a force. His defense looks really good and I feel like he draws a charge every game he's in.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:01 pm 

Kennedy had some really nice takes to the rim. Love to see him hit shots from outside as well.

Wish Wojcik would have more confidence letting it fly from deep. He’s a little gun shy but has the talent.

Agree on Welch, he had his best defensive performance of the season in little time. And l LOVE his energy on the bench. Ideal culture guy.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:11 pm 

Gut punch of a loss. Just brutal. This would have been such a bigger win than over Vandy, who will finish last in the SEC. I liked the final possession. Clemons shot was so close. The before under 12 TO stretch where we tried to steal minutes for Krut and a couple other starters was the turning point in the game. Hopefully Lucas will be ready for Valpo, because Freeman is playing like a man who wants to win MVC MVP. Hall getting called for his 4th at the 10 minute mark was just brutal. Why can’t Tate get going in the 1st half? At this point, is it worth having Aher’s defensive ability on the court versus Pipkon’s ability to make a jump shot? Pipkons is a capable defender.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:59 pm 

I will be shocked if Vandy finishes last in the SEC. they have pretty good talent at guard, and, more importantly, there are some really bad teams in the SEC this year. It’ll be interesting to see how Davidson and Vandy match up, given that all three of us play within such a short time frame.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:38 am 

My problem with Uguak is that what has been a “disappointment” in non-con play is going to end up being a serious PROBLEM in conference play. The other teams have seen a year of Uguak in our lineup and know exactly what type of player he is. There is plenty of video showing his offensive passiveness.

When Valley teams are preparing for us, they have to figure out “what do we need to do to beat Loyola?” The answer, itself, is simple - shut down Krutwig. The next question is “How?” Well obviously you can’t play him straight up, one-on-one - you need to figure out how to scheme and double down on him whenever possible without allowing open shots if he kicks it out of the post. This is where Aher is a huge liability. He lingers around the three point line, catches the ball, and passes it almost immediately. He doesn’t drive instinctively when there’s space in front of him, and he doesn’t shoot it either. So if you’re a Valley team, you know you can tell your player guarding Aher that when Krutwig gets the ball, it’s okay to abandon Aher and float down to help double and swarm him. There’s no fear that leaving Uguak open for 2 full seconds off the three point line is going to hurt you, and if he gets the ball back outside, you can close back down on him before he attempts to do anything. Take a look at what Aher’s man does from Davidson on defense every time Krut and Aher are in together. It’s genius. Also, take a look at why Aher was so open for the 4 points he scored and who passed him the ball...

I think Aher plays great defensively, but when it starts to become less about him just not scoring and more about other teams leaving him open around the arc in order to disrupt Krutwig, then he’s becoming too much of an offensive liability to keep him in for defense. But at this point - valley teams know they have to double Krutwig. Someone’s gotta be the one designated to help out. It’s not going to be Kennedy’s man, Tate Hall’s man, Williamson’s man, etc. Aher’s propensity to remain docile and dormant offensively for long stretches in games is going to negatively affect Krutwig’ s ability to get the ball.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next