It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:00 am 

I'm with ya, 86. The rebounds were frustrating, but we did better in the second half. I thought we made some good adjustments. And I like how we look to run off turnovers and outlets from Krut. Just wish we had somebody to knock down a transition three.

Somebody brought up the final sequence. At first I was looking for a timeout, but I think it was the right call to play it out. I also think Tate took the right shot even though there were still ~13 seconds left. A timeout would have let Drake set up a defense, and they probably would have just fouled us. In that scenario we probably don't even get to take a potential tying shot.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:27 am 

I agree with no timeout. The smart play by them would have been to foul and they were in the moment and didn’t think to do it. Also, we got two great looks, so you can’t even second-guess it. I suppose you could say it would have been better to ball a timeout to put Pipkins and Wojcik in for 3 point shooting since you know Uguak isn’t taking a three.

86 is right on that this is still an exciting team to watch. I want a conference title, but regardless of what happens, every St. Louis game is going to be tough for every team. I still think that looking around the league, this Drake team gives us the worst matchups than all of them.

The key to our success is coaching and strategic game planning. In abundance of talent is there - it’s just figuring out how and when to use everyone to get maximum output.

We are not a three-point shooting team this year. Accept it and don’t fall into the trap of trying to be. We only shot 10 threes in the Missouri State game. I’m not as concerned with the 3-point percentage this year as I am right the amount we are taking. 22 is too many. 12 to 15 per game seems right to me. It’s just enough to keep defenses honest without giving away too many higher percentage looks. If we are taking 20 threes in a game, we are not playing to our strengths.

Despite a “tough” game for Krut, he put up 14 points, 7 boards, and 4 assists. Clemons put up 13 points, 4 assists. Hall gave us 15 points, 4 rebounds. Williamson chipped in 8. 4 of our starters had great games with 30+ minutes and turned the ball over only 4 times COMBINED. They did enough to win. I am begging to give someone on our bench a chance to step up and help these guys out! There’s just too much talent there to not find one more contributor that puts this team over the top.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:31 am 

My TWO cents, here at the tail end.....
Drake put up 80 points against Bradley and Indiana State, more than that in non-con. So I think the defense was awesome, yet could have been even better. Drake had too many put backs and Robbins had uncontested dunks. I think Drake made 3 more threes than we did, two from, who else, Liam Robbins, yet it seemed much worse while watching the game.
Robbins career night can be put in perspective. Seven, I think blocks could have been two or three blocks and three or four fouls, depending on the venue.... I do think he got into the heads of our players, who altered their games and were awkward with the results. I can't imagine we would not have a different plan in place before our rematch.
I am in with all you guys about the puzzling Aher issues. PM, who we all agree has great coaching skills, seems to not want to bump him and I continue to wonder what and when he expects to be rewarded for that decision. Ill be the first to apologize if and when that happens. The suggestion of Welsh and Pipkins/Wojcik seems to me a win /win as we go forward as the development of these guys seems more likely as we go forward this season and next.
Nothing more can be said about free throws... it is a mystery how this issue sticks without getting better, (other than Cam. I think the guys played hard and never quit, almost got it done..... On to the next. My delusional self really thinks we can contend and come out on top by the season end.
Go Ramblers.....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:46 am 

Ramblerguy wrote:
I am in with all you guys about the puzzling Aher issues. PM, who we all agree has great coaching skills, seems to not want to bump him and I continue to wonder what and when he expects to be rewarded for that decision. Ill be the first to apologize if and when that happens.

From the outside, it does seem like it's worth bringing him off the bench for a couple of games to see if that sparks him. Some guys respond to that. You could start Welch or Pipkins depending on the defensive matchup.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:34 pm 

To be fair on free throws this game:

Uguak was 1-5 for 20%.

Rest of the Team: 62%
Tate Hall was 3-4 for 75%
Clemons was 1-2 for 50%
Kennedy was 1-2 for 50%.

With the exception of Uguak, we didn't shoot terrible at the line as much as we just didn't get there enough... You can either be impressed by Drake that Krutwig took 15 shots and they never fouled him on any of them, or skeptical....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:01 pm 

ToledoRambler wrote:
To be fair on free throws this game:

Uguak was 1-5 for 20%.

Rest of the Team: 62%
Tate Hall was 3-4 for 75%
Clemons was 1-2 for 50%
Kennedy was 1-2 for 50%.

With the exception of Uguak, we didn't shoot terrible at the line as much as we just didn't get there enough... You can either be impressed by Drake that Krutwig took 15 shots and they never fouled him on any of them, or skeptical....

I was impressed by Drake especially Robbins. He had some great blocks that I don’t think Krut was ready for that were clearly all ball. Without watching the replays I still think it was strange that he never got one call. It took Krut awhile to adjust but I noticed one of his last baskets he used his body and the rim to avoid getting swatted by Robbins. I believe next time we play Krut is going to be ready for him and I doubt Robbins is going to replicate his insane numbers. Overall as many of you have stated, it seemed like we were down by much more than we actually were for most of the game. We all know our team can play much better, and we still barely lost on the road to a top MVC team. I’m not upset about this loss but I want the team to learn from it. Also as I’ve said many times before along with others, I really hope Porter starts someone in place of Uguak. There needs to be consequences for not performing at the level that is expected, especially when he’s been giving so many chances and we have a lot of other talent that can possibly do more. We all know what Pipkens is capable of and at this point I’d love to see Welch and Wojcik given more opportunities to develop. They’re the future of this team, Uguak is not and he’s failed to meet the hype that Porter created about him. I’m not saying Uguak can’t contribute to the team but his minutes need to be cut down and I wouldn’t mind seeing Pipkens start in his place. I did notice that Welch had the ball uncovered open from the 3pt line 1-2 times and didn’t take the shot. I took a look at his high school stats and it seems that he was shooting 38% from 3 his junior year. I’d love to see him gain the confidence to take any open looks he has from downtown. He hasn’t taken one attempt from there this season. Hopefully he tries implementing that over time it would make a huge difference for the team if we had a someone with his length that can be a threat from 3. That’s clearly been a downfall with Uguak, so I’d like to see Tom prove that he’s got more to offer. I’m sure it’ll come with experience and confidence down the road, which is why I hope him and Wocjik get more minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:54 pm 

Defensively we continue to be solid...yesterday however we got something different...We usually cover the high pick and roll with Krut helping to move the guard and someone rotating and helping till Krut gets back.....yesterday...they backed the guard out and forced someone else to cover Robbins when he rolled to the basket...and no one could cover him....Most Valley teams loaded up on new post players over the off season...there will be a lot of different looks and efforts to deal with Krut...should be interesting....my concern is who will be our scorer if Krut gets shut down? Offensively we just seem like we have the wrong pieces to the puzzle at this point.....I think last nights game is going to help give Coach Moser some of the answers.....Do not know how the year will turn out...but should be interesting to watch and hope we figure out the pieces to the puzzle

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8