It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:06 pm 

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 8:00 p.m.
Knapp Center, Des Moines, Iowa

Loyola heads west on I-80 for an early January weeknight match-up with Drake, where a win would establish some more daylight for the first-place Ramblers. Loyola has won their last five games in a row against Drake convincingly, by an average of 17.2 points. The last time Drake beat the Ramblers was a wild 100-98 game on Dec. 29, 2016 in Des Moines. But the Bulldogs are off to an 11-4 start and are playing with more confidence under 2nd year Coach Darren DeVries.

The Ramblers have won seven of their last eight since Keith Clemons joined the team from an early season practice injury. Cameron Krutwig was not double-teamed in Saturday's 62-58 win over Missouri State at Gentile Arena, and he scored 23 points; Marquise Kennedy came off the bench to add the outside scoring threat with 13 points. Loyola will need contributions from everyone on the court to overcome a Drake team that's 8-0 at home this season.

Coach DeVries starts a very big forward and four guards: 7'0" sophomore forward Liam Robbins, 5'11" sophomore point guard Roman Penn, 6'5" senior guard Anthony Murphy, 6'2" sophomore guard D.J. Wilkins, and 6'3" junior guard Jonah Jackson. The lone big man, Robbins, is a lanky but capable player both offensively and defensively. Robbins averages 12.6 points and 2.3 blocks per game to lead the team in both those categories, and he's second on the team in rebounds with 5.6 per. He has lately been prone to fouls, fouling out in the loss to Bradley on New Year's Eve and averaging four fouls per game over his last three contests.

The Bulldogs' four talented starting guards are led by newcomer Roman Penn, a transfer from Sienna who averages 12.1 ppg on 52.8% shooting from the field. Penn tops the team in three point shooting percentage (53.0%), steals (25), and leads the league in assists at 5.7 per game. The remaining three starting guards score primarily from behind the arc, with the trio of Anthony Murphy (10.2 ppg), D.J. Wilkins (9.9 ppg) and Jonah Jackson (6.3 ppg) shooting nearly as many threes as the entire Loyola team. Jackson leads the squad in made threes and shoots 38.8% on his attempts-- all but two of his 82 shots on the season have come from behind the arc.

The top bench players are 6'3" sophomore guard Garrett Sturtz (who leads the team in rebounds at 6.3 and scores 5.2 points per game), 6'2" junior guard Noah Thomas, and 6'7" senior forward Antonio Pilipovic. Guard/forward Tremell Murphy has missed 10 games with a leg injury.

Drake takes care of the ball very well, and shares the ball as well as the Ramblers. When you scan the MVC offensive and defensive statistics, you'll often find Loyola and Drake next to each other in the rankings on each stat. Loyola shoots somewhat better from the field than the Bulldogs, but Drake shoots much more often from three-point territory. The Bulldogs are better rebounders and shot blockers, but the Ramblers have been much better on scoring defense of late.

Loyola game notes: https://loyolaramblers.com/documents/20 ... 1_7_20.pdf

Drake game notes: https://godrakebulldogs.com/documents/2 ... Loyola.pdf

TV/Streaming video: CBS Sports Net https://www.cbssportsnetwork.com/

Radio/Streaming audio: https://loyolaramblers.com/watch/?Live=17&type=Live

Live stats: https://godrakebulldogs.com/sidearmstats/mbball/summary

Vegas odds: Pick 'em

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:13 pm 

I thought we played really good defense on Saturday. Very different challenge in terms of pace coming up tomorrow. Krut will need some help for us to pull it out.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:14 pm 

GoRamblers Bowl Part 1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:33 pm 

I believe that Drake has watched the Missouri State tape, and their coach is smart enough to realize they will have to double team Krut to stay in the game. I am optimistic we can get their 7 footer in foul trouble early, which would derail whatever plans they have to double-team Krut. Their outside shooting scares me a lot more than the contested long balls the bears were throwing up.

This is one of those games where we can’t have two or three guys have a bad game. If we are going to win this game, I think we are going to have to have 5 guys in double figures: Krut, Hall, Williamson, Clemons and (Pipkins or Kennedy). If they are able to scheme on Krut, it’ll be tough to keep Uguak on the floor and waste a kick-out option, but tough to have him off the floor defensively if they’ve got such great shooters. If I was coaching this one I think I would make it my top priority to get the ball to Krut early and often, even if double teamed, and keep trying to draw fouls the entire first half, no matter what.

Honestly, even though we haven’t done it before, it might be a good strategy to put Krut and frank on the court at the same time and see if we can just overwhelm them down low with two big bodies (although it’s probably risky to try since we didn’t get the opportunity to test it out in non-con play). If Krut draws a double team in the high post, I’d rather have frank with a mismatch down low then Uguak on the wing.

Of all the matchups in the Valley, this one makes me the most nervous.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:54 am 

JCT, was great to meet in you person at Bruno's on Saturday! Thanks once again for the great preview, and as always go ramblers!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:24 am 

TR...agree...statistically better at turnover/assist ratio and rebound margin and shooting percentage....if you believe in analytics....on the other hand we are on the upswing.....and we got an experienced coach vs a 1st time head coach...will be interesting to see the game plan here....might try and get the ball out of the hands of their point guard he sounds like their catalyst.
JCT...your reviews are reaching Pulitzer level
For those in the north suburbs.....dont forget.....Watch Party at McGonigals in Barrington....check out previous post for details.......

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:47 am 

ToledoRambler wrote:

Honestly, even though we haven’t done it before, it might be a good strategy to put Krut and frank on the court at the same time and see if we can just overwhelm them down low with two big bodies (although it’s probably risky to try since we didn’t get the opportunity to test it out in non-con play). If Krut draws a double team in the high post, I’d rather have frank with a mismatch down low then Uguak on the wing.

The obvious problem with having Frank and Krut play together is that one of them would have to guard the perimeter. Welch might be a better matchup.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:08 am 

Ahunte is afraid of losing his "Rahm Emanuel" bet...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:17 am 

swellafelon wrote:
Ahunte is afraid of losing his "Rahm Emanuel" bet...

lol I completely forgot about that, but if Porter is reading this DON'T DO IT!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:55 am 

ahunte1 wrote:
ToledoRambler wrote:

The obvious problem with having Frank and Krut play together is that one of them would have to guard the perimeter. Welch might be a better matchup.

I would not hate seeing Welch our there with Krut either. But for no other reason than he seems to draw a charge for every five minutes he’s in the game. Getting guys in foul trouble early and disrupting their normal lineup is key. Don’t let them keep keep the lineup out there that their most comfortable with.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next