It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Trial by Fire
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:41 pm 

1st place LU in the next 3 games will be playing the MVC’s 2 teams that are tied for 2nd and 3rd, plus the team that is tied for 4th in the conference.

And the first 2 of the games will be on the road.

A LU sweep and LU is looking at the 3rd straight 1st place finish in the MVC.
But we have to play them one game at a time. We have the talent & the coach, if we can stay healthy.

Go Ramblers!

Post subject: Re: Trial by Fire
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:57 pm 

That is a tall order, Sunday is going to be tough. UNI is 10-0 at home and they can and will jack from anywhere halfcourt in.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:30 pm 

Underrated Journey album.

A Sunday win would go a long way to help cement a top 2 finish, which is huge for the MVC tournament format.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:29 pm 

It is an extremely tall order, but at this point, it’s just impressive that we are closing in on halfway though conference and have the lead at the end of January when we’ve got seven new guys who played in a Loyola jersey for the first time in November. Everything feels like it’s coming together now. 10-2 since the Cayman Islands classic, with losses being by only 3 points a piece. I understand the UNI hype and they are a good team, but those that think they are far superior to us are only looking at records. Our defense is tough and our coaching and game planning have been amazing in conference.

Valpo’s Freeman Liberty is averaging 21 points per game
- we held him to 10.

MSU’s Keandre Cook is averaging 15 points per game
- we held him to 10 points on 4-14 shooting

Evansville only put up 44 on us with one guy in double figures with 11 points in a route.

SIU couldn’t break 50 on us.

At one point we had a 27 point lead on ISUb.

I don’t think AJ Green has had to work as hard as he’s going to have to work to score against us. Most teams have 1 defender they can stick on him to try and contain, and eventually it seems like he wears them down... Our team defense and depth to be able to key on him defensively by committee makes this matchup intriguing. I expect a lot of subbing to keep our legs fresh shadowing him the whole game.

I honestly could see us winning this game by 13, but with our defense I don’t see us losing by any more than 6 or 8. If Tate and Lucas are hitting from three.... look out... but even if they aren’t, I think our defense still keeps us in this game. I foresee a game where both teams finish in the 60s. I’m predicting Loyola 69, UNI 62.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:11 am 

I would be ecstatic with a 69-62 win at Cedar Falls! I think this is the first really difficult test for the Ramblers. On the road against the highest ranked team in the league against the best offensive player in the league.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:10 pm 

Tolrdo guy done good with his report --From atd more easterly here in ZIPPY land , I see King Krut and the boys moving away to a 74--62 win --one disclaimer--THE REFS !! I trust they will call this evenly---

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:18 pm 

UNI board has their game thread already up. Some of the posts have me laughing out loud. Do they think they are Wichita levels of dominant? Some real clown posts, and the thread is just a few hours old. I've copied below some of the "greatest hits"

-Loyola has gone on a nice little win streak going but I don't think their record reflects their mediocrity.

-And you're correct on Krutwig. He doesn't like to play defense. He's out of shape and gets winded

-I'm not one that thinks Moser sucks as a coach. He sucks as a gentleman.

-I still say, bring your ugly scarf to the game. Those snobs deserve it.

One poster correctly pointed out that Loyola has absolutely owned UNI over the last few years.

Oh, and while I am on the topic, a poster on the MVC board said that Murray State would be an overall upgrade to Loyola as a conference member.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:22 pm 

Since SIU plays a very similar defense to us due to Bryan Mullins, do you think an advantage goes to us for having a blueprint of how to beat UNI or goes to UNI for seeing the defense a couple days ago and being able to make some adjustments?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:32 pm 

goramblers2011 wrote:
UNI board has their game thread already up. Some of the posts have me laughing out loud. Do they think they are Wichita levels of dominant? Some real clown posts, and the thread is just a few hours old. I've copied below some of the "greatest hits"

-Loyola has gone on a nice little win streak going but I don't think their record reflects their mediocrity.

-And you're correct on Krutwig. He doesn't like to play defense. He's out of shape and gets winded

-I'm not one that thinks Moser sucks as a coach. He sucks as a gentleman.

-I still say, bring your ugly scarf to the game. Those snobs deserve it.

One poster correctly pointed out that Loyola has absolutely owned UNI over the last few years.

Oh, and while I am on the topic, a poster on the MVC board said that Murray State would be an overall upgrade to Loyola as a conference member.

I'm not going to register over there, but I would love to hear the story behind Moser not being a gentleman. That being said, everyone is a smack talker behind a keyboard. The UNI fans I've run into and had discussions with have all been great.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:27 pm 

You can tell they dont watch us very much when they talk about the defense that we run.

I will say I like that the other boards seem to have a fairly high level of vitriol for us. When we first came into the conference it upset me, but now that the vitriol is jealousy I rather enjoy it.