It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:53 am 

ahunte1 wrote:
Rambler88 wrote:
I would like to see us change our offensive rebounds strategy slightly. Uguak has the ability to disrupt the other team's offensive before it starts and we should give him the green light to go for an offensive rebound from time to time.

Yeah, at least in late game situations when we have to score. I think it was in the final minute vs. SIU there was a golden opportunity for an offensive rebound where the ball bounced out by the free throw line, and we had four guys going back on defense. I know it helps our transition defense, but offensive rebounding is by far our biggest weakness.

Offensive rebounding is so bad that kenpom has us ranked 351/353 at offensive rebounding percentage.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:04 am 

We will most likely always be bad at offensive rebounding because part of the defensive plan is not giving up points in transition....so when you weigh the two....points off of offensive rebounds or points prevented by getting back on defense.....we emphasize the latter....It also helps the defense get set up for when the other team gets into their offensive set. So if you notice we usually have one person who may be near the hoop kinda look like maybe they are thinking about if they maybe might be able to swipe a rebound...everyone else is playing D.
You can be streaky on offense....but you can always defend.....it is why even when we have off offensive/shooting nights we are still in almost every game.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:09 am 

natetheskate wrote:
We will most likely always be bad at offensive rebounding because part of the defensive plan is not giving up points in transition....so when you weigh the two....points off of offensive rebounds or points prevented by getting back on defense.....we emphasize the latter....It also helps the defense get set up for when the other team gets into their offensive set. So if you notice we usually have one person who may be near the hoop kinda look like maybe they are thinking about if they maybe might be able to swipe a rebound...everyone else is playing D.
You can be streaky on offense....but you can always defend.....it is why even when we have off offensive/shooting nights we are still in almost every game.

I think it is a good strategy overall. Especially when you take high percentage shots like we do (last I checked, we were 2nd in the nation in FG %). However, it would be good to be able to adjust in the last 2 or so minutes of a game if we are trailing. We should be crashing the offensive boards when we are down and need to make a run--not surrendering easy rebounds.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:13 am 

goramblers2011 wrote:
I think it is a good strategy overall. Especially when you take high percentage shots like we do (last I checked, we were 2nd in the nation in FG %). However, it would be good to be able to adjust in the last 2 or so minutes of a game if we are trailing. We should be crashing the offensive boards when we are down and need to make a run--not surrendering easy rebounds.

Completely agree on this. Love that we get back on D, but when down late in the game i'd love some extra pressure. If nothing else to speed up the opposing team.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:17 pm 

SIU with another win. Could they go 14-4??

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:54 pm 

Heck of a shot to win it at the buzzer. Missouri State had multiple chances to win it in the last 30 seconds, but instead of running an offense, they seemed content to just chuck up a couple threes and hope they went in. They didn’t. They have to be the most disappointing Valley team since, well, Missouri State 2 years ago.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:02 pm 

01grad wrote:
Heck of a shot to win it at the buzzer. Missouri State had multiple chances to win it in the last 30 seconds, but instead of running an offense, they seemed content to just chuck up a couple threes and hope they went in. They didn’t. They have to be the most disappointing Valley team since, well, Missouri State 2 years ago.

The truth hurts

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:10 am 

It's so crazy what's happening at SIU.

Out of curiosity, I went to look at luck ratings. SIU comes in at 45. Not even the top in the conference...that's UNI at 12.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7