It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Brutal Honesty
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:02 pm 

SisterJean wrote:
Exactly what I expected out of the responses. The same attitude that results in 30+ year tournament droughts. Are we really calling a season in which we had three potential MVC MVPs on the team and failed to make the tournament successful? Guess what...Regular season championships don’t matter in this conference. We got an auto bid to the NIT. Wow! If you guys want to consider that successful that’s on you.
Now it’s looking like back to back seasons missing the dance. With the financial commitment the basketball program got from the school, we deserve better. The window is only open for so long and we aren’t capitalizing. It wouldn’t surprise me to see us lose on Friday this year. I guess we might have different expectations. It seems like this board is happy putting a middling mid-major team out there every year and living off the past. I’m not expecting a final four every year, but if Porter has the vision I’ve been led to believe for this program, we need to be in the tournament every year. You can’t have it both ways. If you want a big time program to be proud of, you need to be able to answer the noise and live up to expectations. Quit taking it easy on this team on the forum. We’ve lost three of four games but have the most talented roster in the conference. You can applaud him for assembling the team but don’t ignore the lack of development. Loyola is better than this. We are winners! We need to hold our club to a higher standard. Our school can be consistently nationally relevant. Expectations and accountability come with this. We should expect nothing less than excellence. It’s what Loyola deserves.

In your first post you make specific accusations and arguments, those were pointedly rebutted, and instead of addressing those rebuttals you simply pivot to a generic rant about how we are all are just living in the past with low expectations. You’ll fit in well here.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:10 pm 

"I’m not expecting a final four every year, but if Porter has the vision I’ve been led to believe for this program, we need to be in the tournament every year."

If your expectation is to make the tournament every year, you should just root for Kansas or Michigan State. It's just completely unrealistic for us for many reasons.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:19 pm 

If that’s the case why would Porter stay here? VCU and Wichita have made the dance in all but one year since their final four runs. Seems like you’re cool with being more of a George Mason though. Exactly my point about the pillow soft expectations here.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:28 pm 

SisterJean wrote:
If that’s the case why would Porter stay here? VCU and Wichita have made the dance in all but one year since their final four runs. Seems like you’re cool with being more of a George Mason though. Exactly my point about the pillow soft expectations here.

Do you want Porter to stay? In your first post it sounded like you were ready to run him off.

You're really putting words in everyone's mouth.

I don't want to be George Mason, but if we are competing for conference championships year-in, year-out, we will make our share of NCAA tournaments. That's how it works.

ETA: VCU and Wichita State were also making tourney appearances before they made their Final Four runs. We came out of nowhere and have to catch up.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:32 pm 

SisterJean wrote:

So we should expect that the program can become good enough that we won’t have to worry about Porter, who you spent most of your first post trashing and arguing was a terrible coach, leaving? Why do you have such low expectations?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:35 pm 

SisterJean wrote:
Exactly what I expected out of the responses. The same attitude that results in 30+ year tournament droughts. Are we really calling a season in which we had three potential MVC MVPs on the team and failed to make the tournament successful? Guess what...Regular season championships don’t matter in this conference. We got an auto bid to the NIT. Wow! If you guys want to consider that successful that’s on you.
Now it’s looking like back to back seasons missing the dance. With the financial commitment the basketball program got from the school, we deserve better. The window is only open for so long and we aren’t capitalizing. It wouldn’t surprise me to see us lose on Friday this year. I guess we might have different expectations. It seems like this board is happy putting a middling mid-major team out there every year and living off the past. I’m not expecting a final four every year, but if Porter has the vision I’ve been led to believe for this program, we need to be in the tournament every year. You can’t have it both ways. If you want a big time program to be proud of, you need to be able to answer the noise and live up to expectations. Quit taking it easy on this team on the forum. We’ve lost three of four games but have the most talented roster in the conference. You can applaud him for assembling the team but don’t ignore the lack of development. Loyola is better than this. We are winners! We need to hold our club to a higher standard. Our school can be consistently nationally relevant. Expectations and accountability come with this. We should expect nothing less than excellence. It’s what Loyola deserves.

You do realize how hard it is getting for mid-majors to "make the tournament every year", right? UNI is likely going to be in or near the top 50 in the NET come the end of the season and I'd give them less than a coin flip's chance at an at large if they don't get the auto. LU wouldn't have made it in 2018 if not for the auto-bid. Wrong or right, gone are the days of the 3 or 4-bid MVC, or most mid-major conferences. That's just a reality that I don't think you've expectations are adjusted for. We aren't going to become Gonzaga overnight after one run. I'm not even sure Gonzaga could become Gonzaga in the current environment.

Both VCU and Wichita state moved to new, better conferences within 2 years of their run. More teams out of the A-10 and American are making the tournament every year. If they stay in the Colonial and MVC, they might have a down year, lose the conference tournament and miss the dance.

Yes, we likely have the most talented roster in the league, but we lost 2 Larry Bird winners, added seven new players and lost a returnee in Copper before the season started. That a lot of turnover for one year and it was always going to be a year about gelling as a team and building towards making the run next year.

Games like last night always sting, but sometimes its just not going to be your night. Gentile is loud, the students are getting invested, and the team is good. I can't think of a ROI on my investment for some Tuesday/Wednesday nights and weekends during a Chicago winter. I can even get a few beers out of it now. I've thoroughly enjoyed the last 3 seasons, even with a few low points, and would be completely happy to give Loyola my money to watch this product for the foreseeable future, knowing the potential is just growing.

Also would love to hear who you think Loyola's getting to take Porter's place and making the tournament every year. I haven't looked at ISU's board, but a lot were calling for Lansing's head after out last meeting, and I'm sure many have done a 180 on that after yesterday.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:06 pm 

yikes !....My first point is that you do not build a consistently successful program in 5or 6 years. Northwestern football. won the West Division in 18 went 3-8 last year and recruiting is taking a hit for 21....people went back immediately to thinking of NU as the team from the 70s. My point is that we were deep, deep in a hole.....and we are climbing up.....step by step.....there are a lot of factors working against them,,,We have done some great things on that climb....for me I am most proud of our academic success....I will never forget the value of the education I received at LU...a move to a better , relevant conference, 3 post season tournaments , what? a frigging Final Four!!!.....So am I happy with Porter...damn right I am...but doesn't mean he does not have faults and cant get better,,,who cant.....As an arm chair blogger....Porter is a systems man, he has an offensive system and a defensive system and as Jack Nicholson would say " we follow orders...we follow orders or people die" and that Final Four team were perfect for it.....I think sometimes he struggles when the guys do not fit the system...sometimes maybe could be more creative...on the other hand most of the players he has been able to recruit were developmental players(Krutwig Kennedy exceptions) who he has developed to work into the system....and that takes awhile...with 7 new players this year I am stunned they have done as well as they have...also two new coaches. Another thought is the difficulty of the Valley schedule...it is constant and intense. We hit a wall yesterday on the road , our 3rd road game in 4 games in 11 days. But yesterday was the exception not the rule...while there have been setbacks,,it has been two steps forward to one step back.
but SisterJean welcome to Ramblermania.....lets keep the discussion going....but if we end up winning the Valley I do not want you falling out of your wheel chair ...so hold on

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:18 pm 

Quick questions for you:

1. What current Valley school(s) do you wish us to be like?
2. What current Valley coach(es) do you wish Porter would turn into?
3. What mid-major (not A-10 or American Conference) school(s) not named Gonzaga or St. Mary's do you wish we succeeded as much as?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:44 pm 

Sister Jean may have a little dementia. The reason why the team was successful in 2018 was because the players were in the system for a long time. We played overseas and grew as a team. Porter put it together.

We are 15-9, if we were 9-15, I would be concerned.

We were picked 4th in the league this year because we have one senior, new 7 players and a good assistant coach. This league does have good players - some of whom have more experience and are better than ours. Milton Doyle is the only player we have who has been in the NBA. Other teams have several players in the league. We will get there, but it takes time.

If we look at teams in Illinois, we are the best program. It takes time. Look at Northwestern and Illinois- they have all the intangibles, better stadium, better league, more exposure, etc. and neither one of them has been as good as we are. It took Gonzaga a long time to get where they are. We are similarly situated, but far from reaching their level of consistency.

I guess UNC should fire Williams.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:33 pm 

It looks like "Sister Jean", between his/her fourth and fifth posts, registered a second Ramblermania account as ...wait for it..."Porter Moser".
At least that is my speculation. Seems too pat to be a coincidence. Of course it might instead be somebody else who registered as "Porter Moser" in reaction to this thread.

Gee, I wonder if there's any way to find out...

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=7491

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next