It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: SO SAD TOO BAD !!!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:41 pm 

One thing I would differ with Toledo about....

DePaul wasn't really offered an invite to a major conference. They were always in a major conference. They were in the old Conference USA, which was a pretty solid conference, anchored by several teams with National Championship banners.

But here's the thing-- DePaul co-founded the predessor to the Old C-USA, the Great Midwest Conference. In 1990-91, DePaul (at the time one of the few big Independent schools left) considered joining the old Midwestern Collegiate Conference (the conference co-founded by Loyola), which had Xavier, Dayton, Marquette, St. Louis, Butler, Evansville, and Detroit. DePaul decided instead to snag Cincinnati and Memphis from the Metro Conference, steal Marquette and St. Louis (adding Dayton a couple years later) from the Midwestern Collegiate Conference, and add UAB, a very good Independent team..

DePaul's power move did an end run around hapless Loyola (at the time led by Chuck Schwarz) and the moribund MCC (not yet under the spell of Jon LeCrone, but not at all ready for big time, hardball conference moves). In effect, they busted up the Metro Conference (a pretty high-level conference in the 70s and 80s) and dealt a crippling blow to the MCC. Watch the ESPN 30 For 30 doc about the rise of the Big East, and you'll see the kind of big money, higher stakes game that DePaul was ready for back then and we and the old MCC were absolutely not ready for.

In 1995, the Great Midwest Conference merged with the old Metro Conference members to create Conference USA-- which had venerable programs like the aforementioned teams plus Memphis, Cincinnati, Louisville, UAB, Charlotte, Southern Miss and South Florida. That'a a Big Time conference, probably on the order of where the American Athletic is today. Some years they might have topped the Pac 10.

And then when the Big East was losing and swapping membership with the ACC and other conferences in the early 2000s, DePaul was ready..... That's how they got their membership in the Big East. And if they're smart, they'd never let us in and forfeit their place in Chicago college hoops.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:49 pm 

Interesting and informative! I still say they flew to close to the sun with the demise of the old C-USA and bit off more than they could chew with the Big East. IF it was ever a possibility to move to the Big East (which is not now and won’t be for a while), DePaul would certainly try to block it - but my point is - I wouldn’t want to go. I truly believe the MVC gives us the best chance at becoming “Gonzaga Midwest.” The competition is great, the members try, and I’ve been happy with the MVC administration (although I still can’t figure out why we don’t have Murray State.).

Watching DePaul implode really makes me thankful for what we’ve got though. There is no light at the end of the tunnel in Lincoln Park.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:18 pm 

DOWN AGAIN--DEPEWL GETS A TRIB ARTICLE--LUC WINS and may go even farther--TRIB IGNORES US !! WHY ??????

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:32 pm 

DPU getting mashed AGAIN !! This time by another old friend--BUTLER FLOPPERS !! Remember them ???
DRAKE DIED !! C'est la Guerre !!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:07 am 

Well done Toledo !! I can only add that they even have the CHICAGO TRIBUNE covering them with little if any coverage of LUC--SHAME ON IT !!!We are the BEST team in NORTHERN ILLINOIS--DEPU the worst or close to it !! Your take on DEMONS is spot on.
GO RAMBLERS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:08 pm 

To be fair, the Tribune has seemingly lost most of their staff and reporters the last few years, so I don’t think they cover much of anything these days beyond what the AP sends them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:15 am 

I almost fainted--The Trib asked for a quote and received same from PM--It was in article re HS player Sayles !!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:14 am 

Tribune article about Sayles. Might be behind a Paywall:
http://digitaledition.chicagotribune.co ... 50343136e4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:30 pm 

Just thought I'd leave this here.

I wonder if their president or board would be so cold and ruthless to make a move now... Thankfully at least we don't have this problem!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:04 am 

The Trib today for people's reading misery: https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/c ... story.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next