It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: SO SAD TOO BAD !!!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:12 am 

The whole dp thing stinks of pride.....too proud too admit they made a mistake....with Ponsato and now the bball coach......so I dont think they would hire Porter and double down to say not only were we wrong with the AD, twice with who we hired as bball coach and third LU got it right and we got it wrong. My guess is that their next coach will be a really big name...or someone connected to their past.
Also would LU let it happen.?....wonder if there is a no buy out.to certain schools like dp

which brings up an interesting topic....who has more pull in Chicago...dp or LU ? and how or why? It would seem that dp got a pretty big push from the City with their new stadium no? Also who has the most powerful alumni backing the sports programs........

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:10 am 

natetheskate wrote:
The whole dp thing stinks of pride.....too proud too admit they made a mistake....with Ponsato and now the bball coach......so I dont think they would hire Porter and double down to say not only were we wrong with the AD, twice with who we hired as bball coach and third LU got it right and we got it wrong. My guess is that their next coach will be a really big name...or someone connected to their past.
Also would LU let it happen.?....wonder if there is a no buy out.to certain schools like dp

which brings up an interesting topic....who has more pull in Chicago...dp or LU ? and how or why? It would seem that dp got a pretty big push from the City with their new stadium no? Also who has the most powerful alumni backing the sports programs........

I could see Ty Corbin or Mark Aguirre get hired next. They fit the profile of big time name connected to their past who are looking at it like a retirement package. Neither would be an actually good coach though.

As for who has more pull? It's probably a tie currently. Obviously we've had more recent success and relevancy on the court. Their new arena could be a nice pull, but it's still not in a super accessible place for that building to do it alone. They need a quality product to lure people & students from Lincoln Park. That said, they do bring in a ton of money from the Big East, even if they're a leech off of Villanova's success. If we play our cards right, in 10 years, we very well could swap places with them in terms of who people think is Chicago's premier college basketball team.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:43 am 

There are several thing to consider. First, Depaul is only a relevant basketball team for people who remember Ray and Joey Meyer. The program fell of the basketball map in the late 80's and 90's. It may still matter to old Depaul Alums. But there is no current basketball tradition. My niece went there for 4 years and never thought about the basketball team much less went to a game. I don't think the basketball team is relevant for high school or college aged kids. The Big East is not broadcast on ESPN. It does not have the same reach as other conferences or its name recognition. Second, do they want to do better in Basketball? From a bottom line perspective, is it better to pick-up a check for being a bottom feeder in the Big East than invest in the program? What is the school's commitment really? It's not easy to do. Look at Northwestern, they have dumped a ton of money into their program and only had marginal success.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:12 am 

Brings up another interesting question.....where does dp stand in the Big East in money dedicated to their basketball program? Are they also last in money committed? and if so how long does the Big East let that stand or is the draw of Chicago the ace in the hole for dp?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:43 am 

natetheskate wrote:
Brings up another interesting question.....where does dp stand in the Big East in money dedicated to their basketball program? Are they also last in money committed? and if so how long does the Big East let that stand or is the draw of Chicago the ace in the hole for dp?

I'm not sure if anyone on the outside definitively knows or can find out. The Big East is currently all private schools so they're not subject to FOIA.

That said, their TV contract is king. It's probably the only thing that sets them in a league with the P5 schools. When they have to renegotiate it and Fox Sports says they want improvement in the ratings in the Chicago market, then who knows what will happen. I assume you'll see movement from the other schools for DPU to either pick their act up or for Loyola to join and/or be swapped out completely with DPU.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:27 pm 

https://depauliaonline.com/38569/sports/feeling-emptier-non-conference-attendance-drops-in-wintrusts-2nd-year/

Are these numbers correct? Is their attendance really that bad? I would have to think if we played as a member of the big East we would average 4500 a game.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:19 am 

ToledoRambler wrote:
https://depauliaonline.com/38569/sports/feeling-emptier-non-conference-attendance-drops-in-wintrusts-2nd-year/

Are these numbers correct? Is their attendance really that bad? I would have to think if we played as a member of the big East we would average 4500 a game.

This is from last year. I wonder if there is an article from 2020?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:35 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:41 pm 

In 10 years, we might look back and think that DePaul's athletic director is the greatest thing that has ever happened to Loyola basketball