It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Valley 20/21
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:58 am 

Let the Speculation begin (Quarantine Edition)
Bradley,
Bradley will loose 3 significant players in Brown, Kennel, and Bar (statistical leaders in points, assists, rebounds, 3 pt shooting steals and more)
They will be returning some significant minutes in Childs, Henry, Kingsbury and Trevenehan. Childs can be dominate and Henry is solid. Neither Kingsbury or Trevehnehan impressed me as adequate replacements for Brown or Kennel. However the reason Gabriel may be leaving and Kingsbury and Trevehenan may still be coming off the bench is that the Braves have 2 transfer guards who maybe the starters.
Terry Nolan is a 6”4 guard who transferred from George Washington where he had over 50 starts in 2 years.. was an Atlantic 10 all conference defensive player who also averaged 11 pts a game while hitting in the 20s occasionally.
Kevin McAdoo a 6”2 guard from Eastern Michigan with 19 starts his sophomore year. Double digit scorer 13 times.
Inside, Ari Boya the 7”1 sophomore may see lots of pt… An unknown is Reink Mast a 6”9er /230 from the Netherlands. Who red shirted this year….
Two incoming freshman. Both big men.
Connor Linke…..6”9 from St. Charles N……played with the Illinois Wolves…we know these guys pretty well and maybe we were happy with the big man we got from Minny….
Darius Hannah 6”8 but only 175 out of Milwaukee ,,with not many offers. Maybe a Childs replacement after a year in the weight room.
But here is where the recruiting stoppage gets interesting. Bradley still has two open spots…which I assume they were going to fill with JCs or transfers…I think this is the period where DI coaches would be at the JC tournaments watching the JC kids….will be hard to evaluate now.
Bradley led the Valley in offensive rebounding this year.When they had Bar ,Henry and Childs they could play big,,,yet when they made their run on us at Bradley they were playing small with Childs guarding Krut,,,I think we will see a little of the same next year,,,all things being equal the question will be “Can Brown be replaced?) and who will fill the two still unfulfilled spots
Their offense ran through Brown and Bar keyed the Defense

Post subject: Re: Valley 20/21
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:43 am 

Just gonna leave this here:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:35 pm 

This projection lines up almost with mine. Based on what I think our ability to schedule is going to be, I don’t see us going less than 9-3 in non-conference. I can see us going 1-2, 2-1 or 3-0 in the MTE, but not 0-3, just because of the experience we have coming back, alone. Conservatively, I could see us with 2 losses in the MTE and one other loss if we take a buy-game on the road against a big school.

They Valley record is the only thing I don’t agree with. I don’t see us finishing any worse than 14-4.

I suppose there’s a chance we could lose 2 to UNI, but I think both UNI and Loyola are going to steamroll everyone in conference. We finished 13-5 THIS year and with our new depth, we are far less likely to have the clunkers we did on the road. 15-3 sounds right to me.

right now I see the league as 4 clusters where any team could end up at the top or bottom of any individual grouping:

1) Loyola
2) UNI

3) Drake
4) Missouri State
5) Bradley
6) Valpo

7) SIU
8) Indiana State

9) Illinois State
10) Evansville

I think Evansville and Indiana State are gonna be bad again this year, and there will be finality at the end of next season to the Dan Muller era. I don’t see any way ISU can avoid a Thursday game next year, and it is going to finally break the contingent of people who still want him around.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:02 pm 

The one thing I have learned so far is a lot of rosters are still incomplete and there is a good chance that many of these rosters will be filled with JUCOS and Graduate Transfers.....Only Loyola and Valpo currently have no spots to fill....There is only one other with one spot...most have 2 or more....Missouri St. has 5.....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:34 pm 

natetheskate wrote:
The one thing I have learned so far is a lot of rosters are still incomplete and there is a good chance that many of these rosters will be filled with JUCOS and Graduate Transfers.....Only Loyola and Valpo currently have no spots to fill....There is only one other with one spot...most have 2 or more....Missouri St. has 5.....

Agreed on this point. That said, the whole recruiting timeline is bound to be screwed up. Thankfully, we have no spots to fill and if someone leaves, we could just give Hutson the scholarship this year rather than having him pay his way a year. Moreover, we return everyone but Hebb. If you have a big freshman/transfer class coming in or a young team this year, you're going to be burned by the lack of practice time for these players to gel. If I'm a school that's relying on bringing in those transfer guys, I'm a little worried right now.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:06 pm 

PRE PRE PREVIEW DRAKE

Drake,
Drake will be returning 8 of their top 9 scorers with only Anthony Murphy leaving…while his brother Trammel Murphy is likely to return from a season ending injury. They have one interesting incoming freshman, Jordan Kwiecinski 6”8 out of Loyola Academy. Coach must know him fairly well as his son is on the LA team as well. Drake has 3 open spots left to fill…but they are a lot like us with a veteran team with lots of parts coming back, They are also like us, a guard dominate roster with a very dominate center, Liam Robbins….his back up Ernst will be leaving and at this time they do not have anyone to come off the bench for him…unless it will be Pilipovic at 6”7 or the freshman Kwiecinski.
I thought the key to the season for Drake was the emergence of Robbins,,,and I thought his break out game was their home victory over us , I thought Krutwig adapted well the 2nd time we played them.
I am just going to do a running rank as I go through these teams….just based on who is leaving and who is coming…I am going to put Drake ahead of Bradley…and unless things change ( and Bradley also has a 7 “) they should be at an advantage at the post and the point.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:55 pm 

Wow Nate! A 7 inch basketball player is a rarity.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:58 pm 

but man can he jump

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:03 pm 

Nate:
Well done. I hope you realize that your pre season in depth preview is going to be an expectation for ALL MVC teams this year and NEXT. So we can label this JCTjr.

And 7 inch centers need not jump. They are sneaky and their lack of height is hard to guard against.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:35 pm 

Their ballhandling skills are typically lacking, though.