It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:31 pm 

ahunte1 wrote:
I guess everybody went to Bruno's?

I just left, and there was still a good crowd there. So, I’m guessing yes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:47 am 

Hey! We won another close game!

Lucas gets a lot of rightful hype for his defense but MAN I though Aher was really impressive on green. Credit for Hall too for having a couple great stands against him. Clemons. MAN. Clemons was special tonight. Cool, calm, collected.

Green is so talented but man he takes some awful shots. 8-23... sure he makes some GREAT shots. But still, I wonder if that gets annoying as a teammate. The way we were so committed to stopping him I was shocked he didn’t try to dish more; that’s a big reason why Phyfe scored the way he did in both games we played them.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:02 am 

I've never been to a Loyola game with more energy for the home team.

I can't say enough good things about how the athletic department has engineered the environment to be exciting and electric and positive for the home team. It was wild and exciting, and full of energy. The environment was huge..... and really impactful.

Fantastic game, not only for the environment, but for the result.... One of the best I can remember.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:45 am 

This year I have been extremely critical of Uguak and his play, but after last night, I have to admit that I'm just a fan and don't understand coaching, preparation and development as well as coaches like Porter who are experienced and paid to do what they do. The way Uguak played defense the whole night showed me why Porter has stuck with him and knows why he needs him to be on the floor. Without Uguak, I don't know that we are able to contain UNI's high-powered offense who can shoot from anywhere beyond half-court. I get frustrated with Uguak's offense, and I hate seeing him lurking around the three point line when I know there's little chance of him knocking down an open shot from the perimeter, but man -- him and Williamson kept us in the game defensively. It certainly helps when we have Kennedy coming off the bench and making up the difference though... and my god, Keith Clemons played lights out.

UNI got really lucky to have to play on Thursday against ISUb instead of Wednesday... With the way last night's game went, the amount of minutes their starters had to play, and the beating Green's face took (watching the replay of his face smacking the floor was painful),traveling to Tarra Haute on Tuesday or Wednesday morning would have been a rough turnaround for them in a must-win game to secure an outright MVC title and keep the at-large bid status alive. With the Sycamores undefeated at home, I still think it's going to be a tough game for them, but they definitely benefit from an extra day of rest. I think I'm more excited to watch their midweek game now than I am to watch ours.

We are firing on all cylinders right now. I'm really hoping all of the growing pains from earlier in the season are about to pay off.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:46 am 

Porter defensively put big guys on Green when Lucas was out: Aher and Tate instead of Keith and Marquise. Seemed effective for the most part.

Green's release point on his jumper is so far behind his head it is hard to block. I don't see how you can shoot like that myself but it works for him.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:39 am 

Brunos then Dons Oasis...which to my great dismay,,,they have cleaned up in the last 40 years.
as has been mentioned Uguak played some incredible defense,,,the F4 season I said I would pay just to see Ben Richardson play defense...now I will say the same about Uguak. He also looks more comfortable on offense...but when he has the ball on the perimeter they just sag
They had rotations set up fairly effectively when they screened for Green.Williamson was almost as effective, Hall had to give him some room when he was on the rotation..but except for once..they did not take that Green head fake.
Krut took what maybe 4 15 footers.....form looks good just did not go. but curious if that was part of the plan.
breakout game for Clemmons...big plus....
Interesting comment from their coach “AJ getting hit in his face on the floor; he may have broke his nose,” UNI Coach Ben Jacobson . My view of the play was Williamson was ahead in the race for the ball and Green dove and undercut him...thought there should have been a foul. .Man the refs let them play
In the Phoenix said they were supposed to foul again b4 Green got off the tying 3 pointer..but there was a miscommunication.
http://loyolaphoenix.com/2020/02/loyola ... ght-fight/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:53 am 

It was definitely a loose ball foul on Green... He dives for the ball and never touches it... he only hits into Williamson's feet, and when he's sliding Williamson's back leg makes him face plant. Definitely a foul on Green, but the refs let BOTH teams play. I was fine with the officiating because it was even-handed. Late in the game I think it was 3 fouls on them and 2 on us... It was crazy how much they let them go.

Last edited by ToledoRambler on Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:00 pm 

Green dove, face planted, and the floor took his nose out. He also took out Lucas, at the knees, from behind, and it could’ve easily resulted in a bad injury to Lucas. Definitely should’ve been a foul, but it is what it is.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:13 pm 

I love going on Twitter the day after a game and seeing no one's favorite Bradley fan spout off about fouls.

Not a great look, Peoria. Then again, I guess there isn't much else to talk about.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:09 pm 

couple things.
UNIs center had a pretty good game...6/6 from the field...17 rebounds, ..7 assists and 3 blocks....and thought he make Krut work hard for his points.
Offensive rebound aficionados....UNI had ZERO fast break points..although we had 8 offensive rebounds.. .seems we are leaving in a weak side rebounder when Krut is with ball in low post...usually Tate or Uguak
We had 25 points off of turnovers...UNI 5...our defense continues to be a main contributor to our offense
UNI has had a great season but can they keep it up counting on running 50% clear outs for Green and getting little contribution off the bench

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next