It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:41 am 

goramblers2011 wrote:
While I do think the A-10 is a better conference (more $, more bids, etc.), the teams don't really get me excited like some Valley teams do. I think it is easier to sell LU fans on attending home games vs Bradley, ISUr, Valpo, UNI, SIU than the likes of Duquesne, La Salle, Richmond, Rhode Island. Only teams in the A-10 that would have me fired up to see against Loyola on a yearly basis are Dayton and SLU because of historical rivalries and the Midwest Catholic connection.

I don’t get excited to play Evansville, Missouri State, Indiana State or SIU (although it’s more intriguing to me now with Mullins), any more than I would be excited to play Duquesne or LaSalle. I’d be more exited to play Rhode Island and Richmond than any of the listed Valley teams.

I like watching Loyola play Bradley, UNI, ISU and recently Drake. But I’d definitely enjoy seeing us play SLU, VCU, George Mason and even Fordham (for no other reason than the Jesuit ties).

The only thing I’d really like about going to the A-10 is the “who is Loyola’s true rival?” question would finally be answered. Us vs. SLU twice a year and in a tournament would be unbelievably fun.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:53 pm 

I watched UIC lose to Northern Kentucky last night in the Horizon League final.
It was a very boring game and the calibre of play left much to be desired.
Hats off to Porter for not only did he have to put together a winning program he had to do it at a higher level of competition in the Valley
Hard to believe that Loyola was a part of the Horizon League for so long.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:55 pm 

natetheskate wrote:
Just curious if anyone knows how the Biliken fan base feels about their membership in the A-10?
Also after a little study of Murray St....I like em.....they will require another flight for the Ramblers as they are pretty much the same distance as Springfield Missouri
Thought there might be a psychological factor for SLU as well.....they felt they were moving up when they left the Valley....would they feel not so hot ..coming back?
But if not SLU as a matching private school....then who ?
or is there a private school looking to leave the Valley?
12 teams will put an end to a perfect home and away conference schedule

SLU hasn’t been in the MVC in almost 50 years, most of their fans don’t even remember it.

Belmont would be the private school that would work.

It’s interesting to compare the postseason history of SLU to ours. Not much difference, except they don’t have the championship or final fours.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:35 pm 

01grad wrote:
It’s interesting to compare the postseason history of SLU to ours. Not much difference, except they don’t have the championship or final fours.

The program was in a great place under Majerus. Unfortunately for them, Jim Crews recruited Milik Yarbrough and things went downhill for awhile ;)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:35 pm 

01grad wrote:
natetheskate wrote:
Just curious if anyone knows how the Biliken fan base feels about their membership in the A-10?
Also after a little study of Murray St....I like em.....they will require another flight for the Ramblers as they are pretty much the same distance as Springfield Missouri
Thought there might be a psychological factor for SLU as well.....they felt they were moving up when they left the Valley....would they feel not so hot ..coming back?
But if not SLU as a matching private school....then who ?
or is there a private school looking to leave the Valley?
12 teams will put an end to a perfect home and away conference schedule

SLU hasn’t been in the MVC in almost 50 years, most of their fans don’t even remember it.

Belmont would be the private school that would work.

Belmont and Murray St would be fun. I think those two would push the MVC into a 2 bid league pretty easily.
Belmont's campus is beautiful.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:17 pm 

Had to dig back a ways to revive this thread, but will be interesting to see if this has any impact on Belmont/Murray St. to the MVC speculation.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:10 pm 

Supposedly Austin Peay is joining them, so they’d be losing their #3, #4, & #5 programs.

If that happens, the OVC is basically a MEAC/SWAC-level league that just happens to have Murray & Belmont.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:03 pm 

I think Belmont and SIU-E would make sense......bringing in two major cities , Edwardsville is just across the river from St.Louis and SIU-E was a member in soccer a few years back. However scheduling gets complicated unless someone leaves.It would be hard to play a true home and home and I kind of like a true league season with no complaints like we have this year.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:15 pm 

SIUE has no business in this league. They have a basketball budget about 60% of the lowest current budget in the league, a gym that would barely qualify as a practice facility, and no history or indication of success or improvement. Besides, SIU would object vociferously, I believe.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:07 pm 

SIUE is also a perennial 300 RPI team.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next