It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:37 pm 

Just found this.
https://csnbbs.com/thread-895797.html

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:41 pm 

Sounds like he’s not thinking to do it for this upcoming year but maybe next year. Murray State is coming, the big question is who would be coming with them.

I don’t want UIC. I’d rather have Wright State if we are Horizon League fishing. Ideally I would have liked Detroit as I liked their fans when we were there, and I always felt bad for them since they’ve actually suffered worse and longer than us. Unfortunately their facilities and support seem to be so far in the gutter that entertaining their addition is a non-starter.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:11 pm 

If Murray State is one, and you’re going to 12 teams with two 6 team divisions, I’d hope they grab Belmont as the 12th (presuming SLU is still a hard no). This not only keeps an equal public/private split and takes the two best options from the OVC, it also puts the MVC into the Nashville market and maybe improves their TV marketability. If Murray State says they’re coming, Belmont would be foolish not to jump at the chance to leave an even weaker OVC. Add those two, and the MVC is as good as any non major conference in the Country.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:08 am 

01grad wrote:
If Murray State is one, and you’re going to 12 teams with two 6 team divisions, I’d hope they grab Belmont as the 12th (presuming SLU is still a hard no). This not only keeps an equal public/private split and takes the two best options from the OVC, it also puts the MVC into the Nashville market and maybe improves their TV marketability. If Murray State says they’re coming, Belmont would be foolish not to jump at the chance to leave an even weaker OVC. Add those two, and the MVC is as good as any non major conference in the Country.

From what I remember last time this kicked around, Belmont expressed no interest in joining the MVC. They are happy being one of the big dogs in a relatively crappy conference. If Murray leaves, they have an even better shot at getting the auto-bid every year. Really hope that has changed though because they'd be a great pairing with Murray...and would be the best non-Chicago road trip for MVC fans. I'd love the chance to head down to Nashville for a Saturday Loyola game!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:11 am 

01grad wrote:

Belmont does seem like the next logical choice. I think at this point any more schools from Indiana or Illinois seems silly. Nashville is a great market and easy for travel purposes. If Murray State is added I think getting a school in Kentucky, Tennessee, or Missouri makes the most sense.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:19 am 

The logical choice is St. Louis. If I'm not mistaken, a lot of things have changed since their "hard no" of 2013. I think the MVC has been a higher rated conference than the A10 at least twice since that "hard no,"
and Loyola has proven to be a very similar program in budget, academics, and competitiveness.

If Murray State joined with St. Louis, would the MVC be better than the A10? And what if the Big East swiped Day tree on away from the A10?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:29 am 

I'd like to see 12 with scheduling where the last few games are determined by rankings. I think that's the best way to get multiple bids at this points. It can increase the chance at Q1 and Q2 games and can potentially eliminate some bad losses. Here are some teams I would look at and how I think they are categorized:

No Brainer
Murray State

Makes Sense, but Unlikely
SLU and Belmont - I think both want to stay put.

Possible Good Fits
Northern Kentucky
Wright State
Oakland

All have good recent basketball success, would come from lower conference, and wouldn't be too far geographically (Right now SIU and MO St are travel partners at just under 5 hours driving. All 3 of these would have a current school within that time)

Previous Options
UIC
UMKC
Nebraska-Omaha
UW-Milwaukee

I don't think any of those helps the conference get better, but they have looked at them before, so I wouldn't be surprised if they get another look.

Good Basketball, but Too Far
New Mexico State - The WAC is in flux. They are far and beyond better than the rest of the conference. They are just way out there.
Stephen F Austin - This is probably never going to have any legs, but for basketball makes some sense. Southland is not a great conference, and they get pulled down by it. Valley is already in Texas for baseball too. I doubt that SFA wants in though They would probably prefer Sun Belt or something a little closer geographically, and I doubt Valley schools want to go out there for all other sports.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:22 pm 

Why do you say Belmont is unlikely? Is it because you think Belmont figures the only thing standing in their way of multiple years of NCAA bids is Murray State, and if the racers leave they’ve got nobody else standing in their way?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:41 pm 

Anyone have any thoughts or knowledge about how much baseball will factor in? Seems like the conference profile in baseball is important. Dallas Baptist is D II in basketball, so that’s not an option. I know Murray State has baseball.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:42 pm 

JCT wrote:
The logical choice is St. Louis. If I'm not mistaken, a lot of things have changed since their "hard no" of 2013. I think the MVC has been a higher rated conference than the A10 at least twice since that "hard no,"
and Loyola has proven to be a very similar program in budget, academics, and competitiveness.

If Murray State joined with St. Louis, would the MVC be better than the A10? And what if the Big East swiped Day tree on away from the A10?

Another question off of that: if (when) Dayton leaves, would SLU want to push for a replacement west of Ohio (hint: us), and if they can’t get that, would they then have more incentive to leave. Without Dayton, I’d argue the current MVC is better. With Murray State (and SLU) it’s potentially a lot better.